How to instantly kill an Anemone?

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd the powerhead idea. Blast him with flow and it should release eventually. If you're in SoCal I'd be interested in it

SamW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem and am going to turn it into a little DIY project. I've gathered up enough scrap acrylic pieces to cobble together a little stand/ cradle to mount a low flow powerhead to (think of a small/mini microphone stand with a powerhead attached to it). Mine (like yours) is in a very awkward position- and dug into the rock work. I'm pretty confident that if I leave the small powerhead on him for a couple of days, he'll ultimately decided to move on his own.
Trying to kill it would likely pollute your tank. Even if you killed it off quick with a huge dose of Apatasia X (or something like that), it would still shrivel up into the rockwork and decompose for a while...... slowly (or quickly) ruining your water.

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had some luck with tough anemones by covering the opening with another rock. Not forcing it in the opening but just covering the area enough for it to move. When it opens it has to move in order to get to the light. Also I had several that would move at night right before the lights would go out and I could just take a flat head watch screw driver and pop the anemone off the rock.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about setting up a rock boundary between it and whatever's getting stung? I did that when a BTA got a bit bigger and started bothering a nearby Acan Lord; it's worked like a charm so far, both animals are actually even happier than before.

I did have one green BTA that I had to get rid of, though. It was very robust, but would just not settle down anywhere. It kept moving, stay somewhere for a week, move again, and so on, with me moving other critters out of its way, hoping it would settle down for good this time. After it had explored 2/3 of my tank and still wasn't happy, I'd had enough. Next time it went walkabout, I gently pried it's foot loose and took it to my lfs. Compared to ones they had at the time, this one was larger and deeper colors all around; it sold the next day.

Homer Allman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my best Tim the Tool man voice. I say get the shop vac out. Make him retract and then put the end of the vac in the hole/cavity. Give it a few blasts and see what happens. You could line your vac with a big plastic bag to catch him.

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my best Tim the Tool man voice. I say get the shop vac out. Make him retract and then put the end of the vac in the hole/cavity. Give it a few blasts and see what happens. You could line your vac with a big plastic bag to catch him.
Sounds like he could end up with half the tank in the vacuum before he gets the nem out!

Maybe try over feeding it? Mine seem to shrink and poop (and their foot seems more weakly attached to the rock) when i feed a couple times a week. Maybe try feeding it several times in one day and then try to do one of the above methods? I know when mine was on the glass every time I did a water change it would slump and fall off the glass. Can you remove it from the water somehow?

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the tips and suggestions.

I'll try these stuff this weekend, and I'll update everyone.

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a suggestion to put a piece of PVC pipe over the anemone, which would encourage it to move into the PVC that could be easily removed.

Oh I haven't thought about this, very simple and sounds promising. I'll try this tonight as soon as I get home.

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to powerhead, ice, and patience. Works most of the time for me! Good luck wrangling that nem!

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0106.PNG

Guess which one is the nem?
You know what must be done!

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a suggestion to put a piece of PVC pipe over the anemone, which would encourage it to move into the PVC that could be easily removed.
that is a great idea. maybe stick a light in the other end of the PVC tube so it can pretend to be the little girl in Poltergeist - then exorcise that nem!

Hpolascik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased on that was really stuck in. Deep crevis on the rock. They turned up the power head and pointed it at their foot. It took a while prob 45 minutes but it did move on it’s own.

Rob's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a feeding stick and continually annoyed mine until he final let go. Basically kept rubbing the underside slowly pulling it's foothold off the rocks. That pvc idea sounds pretty legit though... I'd give that a shot for sure!

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have used dense kalkwasser(Ca(OH)2) and some water mixed) and just put that on the BTAs. The next day it was easy to get it off the rock.
Good luck!

/ David

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem and it keeps splitting... I have 5 in the same rock fissure. Please keep us posted on your success:)

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used aphasia X from red sea. I just shot it onto the foot area. and it made it let go. messed up the foot, and didn't try to save the BTA because of that but it made it let go. try not to shoot it onto the main body and kill it right off. just the foot and mess the foot up so that it can't hold onto anything.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I did, sort of. My Condy was moving near some corals and I wanted to remove it from that rock. I took an ornament I had and placed it near the path of the Condy, I got lucky and when it moved onto it I moved the ornament with the Condy away from that rock. If it didn't move onto the ornament my next plan was to cover the Condy with the ornament so the only place it could move is through the ornament to get to the opening at the top for light.
Get a PVC with a diameter just wide enough to cover the nem and long enough so that it has to move through the PVC to get to the opening for light. There will probably be gaps on the bottom where the PVC sits on the rock that you could fill in with some rubble so the nem doesn't squeeze out through them. Good luck that's a sweet looking BTA.
40dfyLNm.jpg

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beautiful BTW. A local guy has some that looks the same he is trying to get rid of. They have taken over his tank. I don't like hurting or killing but to protect other you may have to.

Last resort

Can you just cut the 2-3 tenicals that are touching others.

Using a syring inject lemon juice into the body.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back