How to instantly kill an Anemone?

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize in advance if my request or post sound to be inhumane. But its a matter of saving a $20 anemone, or couple hundred dollar corals. So here it goes:

I have this BTA that grew so fast, it was just about 2 inches when I got it. I placed it on my rock that have a cavity/crevice when I got it, thinking it wont get blown away even if it doesnt stick its feet/disk on the rock right away.

Fast forward 6 months today (more or less), it never moved an inch, but grew to about 5 inches, and now it starting to sting my SPS around it. Whenever I try to take it out, it shrinks into the cavity of the rock as soon I touch it, and theres no way for me to access its feet. Also, I won't be able to pull the rock out because it is my main rock, and lots of corals are attached to it.

I tried using a hook (not fish hook), the ones that you use to take out clips from car's interiors., But no luck, its just getting ripped when I'm trying to pull it out because there is little pedal disk that's visible. Pointing a powerhead wont work, because it will just stay shrunk in the cavity whenever its upset.

Is there any food, or technique to temporarily stun an Anemone for it to let go on the rock? Worse case scenario, kill it instantly if there's no other option?

IMG_1950.jpg

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice or get an object really cold and prod it

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I tried making an ice cube from my tank water, and stick in in there, but as expected, as soon as something touches it, it retracts/shrink in the cavity.

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful nem. Would it be easier to move the sps ?

No, I don't have other spot to move my frags anymore.

What about injecting hot di water with a injection needle ?

I haven't tried that yet. I'm not sure if it will die instantly, because I want to be there when it happens, so I can take it out right away before it starts polluting the tank. Or worse, getting shredded by the powerhead.

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure if we can get a way to unattach it there are a lot of us who would pay for shipping and take it for you

You don't have to pay shipping, we're neighbors. I'm in Downey too. :)

But yeah, I hope there would be an option to detach it from the rock without resorting on killing it, so someone can adopt it.

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch killing it. Can release toxins which could throw off your tank. Can you take some bone cutters to get the crevice hole bigger?

Reefing newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch killing it. Can release toxins which could throw off your tank. Can you take some bone cutters to get the crevice hole bigger?

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grab some ice cubes from freezer, put in plastic bag. Take power head point right at Nem while with your other hand holding an ice cube on it. It will probably take 10-15 legit minutes to tick it off enough to make it move, but it will move eventually. Then donate to one of these fine cali fellows.

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grab some ice cubes from freezer, put in plastic bag. Take power head point right at Nem while with your other hand holding an ice cube on it. It will probably take 10-15 legit minutes to **** it off enough to make it move, but it will move eventually. Then donate to one of these fine cali fellows.

Like I mentioned previously, I tried an ice made from my tank water, but as soon as something touches it, it retracts inside the cavity. There no place for it to move because it fits nice and tight in the hole.

I'll take pic tomorrow when it's all tucked in in the hole so everyone can have an idea what it looks like.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I mentioned previously, I tried an ice made from my tank water, but as soon as something touches it, it retracts inside the cavity. There no place for it to move because it fits nice and tight in the hole.

I'll take pic tomorrow when it's all tucked in in the hole so everyone can have an idea what it looks like.

yep I read exactly what you wrote. Like I said, use both at the same time and continue the use of both until it gets so ticked it lets go (it will take a while), that's really the only way you're getting it out.

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep I read exactly what you wrote. Like I said, use both at the same time and continue the use of both until it gets so ****** it lets go (it will take a while), that's really the only way you're getting it out.

I don't recall using both at the same time yet , I should probably try, and maybe it will do the trick.

OP
OP
sil40sx

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may not be helpful but the anemone isn't going to start raging and kill all your SPS.

The underside of the green slimmer (I forgot what specific sps it is) where the anemone regularly touches it, already turned all white. Then the orange passion Frag that occasionally gets hit by 2 or 3 tips of the anemone, PE is getting worse. I can barely see the polyps. Lastly, it's getting really close to the walt Disney, 1-2 cm in between them.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried increasing the flow on it ..if nems don’t like the flow they will move .. aim a power head at it ..

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or use lots of ice cubes .. use normal tap water for them and put them in a sealed bag before putting them in your tank !

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really hope you are able to just re-home him. Pretty sure somebody would love to have him. Really beautiful.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back