How to keep a tank cycled without fish added

vyro25

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2024
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the hobby and I’m currently cycling my first tank (currently on day 2). It occurred to me today that I should also set up a quarantine tank. There’s a good chance that my DT will complete the cycle well before I finish quarantining my fish.

My question is how would I keep the tank cycled without any fish added to the tank while I quarantine my fish?
 
Im new to the hobby and I’m currently cycling my first tank (currently on day 2). It occurred to me today that I should also set up a quarantine tank. There’s a good chance that my DT will complete the cycle well before I finish quarantining my fish.

My question is how would I keep the tank cycled without any fish added to the tank while I quarantine my fish?
The nitrifying bacteria are unlikely to die without food. Overtime the population might diminish. If you wish to keep the population up, add ammonium chloride, say 0.2 to 0.5 ppm once a week. And if you are curious about how the bacteria are doing, test the ammonia depletion rate right after you add the ammonium to convince yourself the “bugs” are still there.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new