How to keep a tank cycled without fish added

vyro25

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2024
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Calgary
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the hobby and I’m currently cycling my first tank (currently on day 2). It occurred to me today that I should also set up a quarantine tank. There’s a good chance that my DT will complete the cycle well before I finish quarantining my fish.

My question is how would I keep the tank cycled without any fish added to the tank while I quarantine my fish?
 
Im new to the hobby and I’m currently cycling my first tank (currently on day 2). It occurred to me today that I should also set up a quarantine tank. There’s a good chance that my DT will complete the cycle well before I finish quarantining my fish.

My question is how would I keep the tank cycled without any fish added to the tank while I quarantine my fish?
The nitrifying bacteria are unlikely to die without food. Overtime the population might diminish. If you wish to keep the population up, add ammonium chloride, say 0.2 to 0.5 ppm once a week. And if you are curious about how the bacteria are doing, test the ammonia depletion rate right after you add the ammonium to convince yourself the “bugs” are still there.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new