How to keep small fish in tank?

BlueSallymandr

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 18, 2023
Messages
29
Reaction score
20
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are people keeping their smaller fish (<1/4" diameter) from jumping out of the tanks? I currently have a BioCube with a solid hood, so I've had no deaths from jumping, but I'm considering upgrading to a larger tank with a 1/4" mesh lid. My current stock is a firefish, a Yasha goby, a royal gramma, and a Rainford goby, and I want to avoid any carpet surfing from them.
 
How are people keeping their smaller fish (<1/4" diameter) from jumping out of the tanks? I currently have a BioCube with a solid hood, so I've had no deaths from jumping, but I'm considering upgrading to a larger tank with a 1/4" mesh lid. My current stock is a firefish, a Yasha goby, a royal gramma, and a Rainford goby, and I want to avoid any carpet surfing from them.
You can get a net to add some safety but the best choice is to add an acrylic lid.
 
I keep only nano tanks and nano fish, I currently have 3 tanks all years old, all lidless, no jumpers.

I truly believe that fish prefer to stay in the water, and will usually only leave the water under duress.
 
Thanks, all! Can you elaborate more on this net?

I keep only nano tanks and nano fish, I currently have 3 tanks all years old, all lidless, no jumpers.

I truly believe that fish prefer to stay in the water, and will usually only leave the water under duress.

That makes sense, for sure, but I have a firefish who didn't get the memo. I just fished her out from the pump compartment of the tank - no idea how she got back there (I have a 3d printed barrier).

My current thinking is that I'm going to get some extra cheap netting like comes with the standard lid, and add a layer offset so that the grid is smaller, if that makes sense. Then I can use the factory lid while hopefully no one escapes.
 
Here are some pictures of how I put the net on my tank. Keep the net as tight to the tank as possible. I used clothe pegs and a heavy piece of wood.
20240922_105304.jpg
20240922_105308.jpg
20240922_105311.jpg
20240922_105319.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new