how to kill them???

Frogfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know most people like to keep shrooms, but I want to kill mine and need ideas on how.

I have some standard tan discomusa (sp?) that are taking over a bunch of my rocks. I have tried vinegar, lemon juice, kalk paste and boiling water. They react to all of these but only to shrivel up and come back later.

I need a sure fire way to kill them without hurting the rest of my tank.

OP
OP
Frogfish

Frogfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tried it! :)

It appears to work the best, but still has a dismal kill ratio and I have to hit them multiple times.

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Joe's Juice on some Green Hairy shrooms, and it works fairly well..... May have to get them a couple times...

I really hate doing it, but I've had some crawl up between some of my SPS colonies and starting stinging them pretty bad!!! They had to go!!

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you used a hypodermic needle to inject the boiling water or other stuff? I use one when I'm trying to kill aiptasia. I sometimes use boiling water and they turn white immediately if I get them just right.

But if you have tried a sharp needle, then I dunno what to tell ya. Maybe they're indestructible.

mevstheworld

Salt Creep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a hammer coral? Mine will devastate any shroom it touches. Literally melts them within the week. good luck.....

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm usually promoting fragging and such also, but I know in my case, the shrooms crawled up between corals, and would be impossible to get out without damaging the stony coral itself... it really was something I didn't want to do...

But yes, the most shurefire way to remove them... take the rock they are on, out of the tank, and cut the shrooms off of the rock (cut underneath the foot of the shroom) make sure no part is left on the rock.....

Then as DaveA said, you can trade, sell, or give them to other reefers, or even bring them to a local LFS for credit...

OP
OP
Frogfish

Frogfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some that I am able to sell/give away. But I hope that the recipients don't kill me in the future.

But the vast majority of them have covered a few rocks that are integral to the aquascaping and have plenty of other corals on them. There is no way I can get the rocks out of the tank without doing lots of damage.

I have tried the needle injection method and they always come back.

I just tried the kalk past again. This time I turned of all waterflow in the tank so the kalk would not spread. Then I COVERED each of them. The flow was off for about 8 hours. So far this may be the best method.

Unfortuantely, I only did about half of them and there are still some tiny ones hiding. But if this works, it may be my best option.

06Rubicon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try laying some rock rubble on top of them the shrooms will move and most of the time will emd up on top of the rubble remove and sell.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used kalk paste to kill them. Its hit or miss as to whether they actually die, but . . . I tend to have more success when I can inject it into the mouth. Even if they don't die, they're sometimes weakened to the point where they will easily detach, then throw 'em in your back yard.

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have better luck with a thick calc paste and just smothering the mouth ,not injecting...

Frank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought this subject up at MACNA XXI this week end and I was told to inject them with muratic acid. Have not tried it yet. I was concerned about it lowering the PH but was told in such a minor dose it would not effect it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back