how to land a plane

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a private pilot for 4 years before I took up racing sports cars instead (more fun and less dangerous). But a friend who taught flight school for corporate pilots sent me this video. HOLY CRAP! I landed a Cessna 150 Aerobat in some crosswinds, but never anything like this. And to do it with a big jet airliner!!! Amazing! This starts out a little slow, but once you can see the ground (about 30 seconds in) and then the runway you realize just how crossed up this is! Watch the whole thing.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"A superior captain avoids situations where his superior skills become necessary."

That was on a plank from my favorite skipper.

He still had to show skills every once in a while.

Talking to the new guys "If you see him looking concerned stop screwing around and focus. I don't like it when he looks concerned."

That piloting was amazing! But I would rather not be on that plane.
[emoji54]

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"A superior captain avoids situations where his superior skills become necessary."

That was on a plank from my favorite skipper.

He still had to show skills every once in a while.

Talking to the new guys "If you see him looking concerned stop screwing around and focus. I don't like it when he looks concerned."

That piloting was amazing! But I would rather not be on that plane.
[emoji54]
I was thinking why did they even attempt to land the plane at that time , Place and Situation.. Flying into Anchorage We were turned back 4 times to Seattle to avoid a risky landing. I was happy to be turned back and not be put in that situation. Thou it was a Very Long and Costly Delay for Company

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extreme for sure.

When I was much younger I had a co worker that had his pilots license and ask if I wanted to go up for a ride one day in a Cessna 172.

Took off and flew over the county we lived in and then ask me if I wanted to take over for awhile. I flew for around 30 mins by myself, with his supervision of course. Made some turns and was a blast to do. He then took over and we landed.

I believe, on a calm day I could take off, landing would require a great deal of time to master.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I believe, on a calm day I could take off, landing would require a great deal of time to master.

Many, many years ago I contemplated getting a pilot's license. I started using a flight simulator and spent a great deal of time on it. Never had an issue taking off and flying as long as desired. Landing on the other hand...never could master that on the simulator. I realize it's not the same, but I came to the conlcusion if I can't do it from my office chair I didn't think I wanted to try it in a cockpit...lol.

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so absolutely Peteified of flying that if I were in that plane coming down sideways I would literally Poo myself. I grab and squeeze complete strangers hands or whatever I can grab when there is a bit of turbulence. I couldn’t imagine how I’d react to this landing to be honest. Makes me nauseas watching approach

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome video from your friend.

I got my P.P. Certificate punched in 2001 and have had a few hairy landings. I had an old Air Force Colonel as my instructor and he was nuts. Literally cut the power on me on one lesson on final approach and said 'land it' pucker that day for sure. lol

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually a virtually daily thing at Bristol, they have squatters that just sit and shoot video of these kinds of landings and pilots that get spun because they can't get the planes down.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David, I could never fly now. Heart condition did that in for me.

Now a zombie apocalypse, I could fly with no problem. Lol

Don, I graduated college the year Top Gun was released (not to date myself). Like many others, I decided I would join the Air Force. Took the test and did great. I had three letters of recommendations from a retired Major General, a retired Brigadier General and a state representative. I thought I was a shoe in for sure.

Last step was the physical and it turned out I didn't have adequate depth perception and didn't even know it. It was correctable via glasses/contacts but at that time, they didn't allow corrected vision as a pilot. I was offered a navigator opportunity but I wanted to be Maverick, not Goose. Looking back, I wish I hadn't been so hard headed and went ahead and served my country.

Years later is when I started playing with the simulator and as it turns out, maybe I wouldn't have made it anyway...lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back