How to make a sump with a canister filter?

hanmisi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a sump for my 33 gallon and I hear that I can use my canister for that. How exactly will that work? Does anyone know how to make a sump with the help of my canister filter? thanks.

LegoZ81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please provide some additional information on where you heard this and provide links if possible. It is possible that you could use the canister filter as a return pump but you would still need to use a hang on tank overflow (not recommended) or drill the display.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could use a canister filter on my sumpless reef, as it makes a great mechanical filter. Realistically you can't really make a sump from one. You still need a place to put a heater, probes, etc.. and it really can't be done with a canister filter..

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a sump for my 33 gallon and I hear that I can use my canister for that. How exactly will that work? Does anyone know how to make a sump with the help of my canister filter? thanks.

Are you thinking of a sump or a refugium? There are a number of DIY's out there for turning a canister filter into some sort of refugium.

Scomstock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean you could use it as a sump in terms of putting the filter below your tank and using bio balls in it but i think you'd be better off just using it as a canister filter... you can add bio balls or other bio media to your canister filter though and get some of the benefits from a sump while using a canister

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back