How to make goby’s not scared of dottyback?

wyattp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new small Randall’s goby pair seems pretty scared of my dottyback. I took the dottyback out into a seperate tank and rearranged the rock as an attempt to change its territory when I added them, and now that I’ve added it back it isn’t attacking them. Yet whenever it gets close the gobies get pretty scared.

They now are too scared to even go into their den so are just sitting on the outskirts of the tank :( any way to fix this?

Also feeding them is kinda hard as the other fish that are bigger swoop in to steal their food

Unitylover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new small Randall’s goby pair seems pretty scared of my dottyback. I took the dottyback out into a seperate tank and rearranged the rock as an attempt to change its territory when I added them, and now that I’ve added it back it isn’t attacking them. Yet whenever it gets close the gobies get pretty scared.

They now are too scared to even go into their den so are just sitting on the outskirts of the tank :( any way to fix this?

Also feeding them is kinda hard as the other fish that are bigger swoop in to steal their food
maybe you could put the dottyback in a breeder box?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed on the acclimation box. sometimes it just takes getting used to each other for a few days to displace the initial feeling out aggression.
it pays to mention, some fish will never be happy together and the dominant fish will relentlessly beat on the other until it expires. your job as the hobbyist is to make the call and intervene if its clear things aren't working out.

OP
OP
W

wyattp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honk
agreed on the acclimation box. sometimes it just takes getting used to each other for a few days to displace the initial feeling out aggression.
it pays to mention, some fish will never be happy together and the dominant fish will relentlessly beat on the other until it expires. your job as the hobbyist is to make the call and intervene if its clear things aren't working out.

I think they’re getting better. The weirdest part is that the dottyback doesn’t even try to attack them the gobies are just scared of him :(

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dottybacks are aggressive ***** and will go after smaller peaceful fish. The only way to stop this is rearrange territories or let it pass which can often lead to starvation of a goby since they’re already VERY timid animals.

OP
OP
W

wyattp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dottybacks are aggressive ***** and will go after smaller peaceful fish. The only way to stop this is rearrange territories or let it pass which can often lead to starvation of a goby since they’re already VERY timid animals.
I already did take out the dottyback for five days and rearranged the rocks, it doesn’t seem to attack the gobies.

the gobies are just scared of it for some reason ‍♂️

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honk

I think they’re getting better. The weirdest part is that the dottyback doesn’t even try to attack them the gobies are just scared of him :(
the unfortunate possibility with this is scared fish become stressed fish and stressed fish become susceptible to ich. hopefully they just grow used to it and chill the heck out :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.9%
Back