How to make R2R better in 2019

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds amazing. I’d sign up in a second.
How about what reefs.org used to do with maco
They offered online classes geared toward the hobbyist.

I took one put on by Eric Borneman that was a coral biology class.
It was done through IRC chat and email. This one required a little more than most classes and was pretty involved.
We had to buy some pretty hefty books for it. It also had labs you did at home and did reports. Reefs put up any other material for download.
Most of the other classes had much lower requirements, this was a advanced class. I think they had other ones that were more entry level too.

I know there was a reef chemistry class I think it was run by Randy.

They had pretty many and varied ones. I think they had aquarium photography etc.

It was a small fee and was very popular.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be awesome to take a thread and filter out comments from others. For example, "Freddy" will post some wildly entertaining and informational posts in his build thread that is supported by tons of pictures that i am looking at for inspiration. I have to scroll through several pages of "cool" or "what part is this." If you could filter a thread down to viewing just the authors contribution, it would make following progress a lot smoother. Especially when you are late to a party and they now have 50+ pages of stuff.

And along those lines, a way to see all the photos from a single thread..... Ok i just got excited at that one... so that one first and then the comments...

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2019 suggestion; create a new forum or, at least, a sticky thread in the DIY forum with 3D printing material. More specifically, sharing files directly related to reef keeping. I recently tried sending a friend some sketchup files but was not allowed to upload them. I am not sure if it was because of the size or the file extension. I am prone to believe it was related to the extension because a number of the files were small in size. I ended up zipping some of the files and sending them that way. Anyway, having the option of uploading 3D files here would be a service I am sure many R2R members would enjoy!

With 3D printer prices continually dropping and ease of use continually getting better, more and more people are buying and utilizing them. I believe it's just a matter of time before they become a staple in most households. Yeah, I know one can go to thingiverse, run individual searches and hope they used the correct search word(s). However, I think R2R members would be much more prone to share their files here thereby helping other reefers out. One of the things about a huge majority of the R2R community that I love is the honest desire of people to help others become successful. It appears to me to be one of the central themes here.

A question; it has come to my attention that some people who write articles are paid while others are not. What is/are the determining factor(s) to who gets compensated and who does not get compensated?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about what reefs.org used to do with maco
They offered online classes geared toward the hobbyist.

I took one put on by Eric Borneman that was a coral biology class.
It was done through IRC chat and email. This one required a little more than most classes and was pretty involved.
We had to buy some pretty hefty books for it. It also had labs you did at home and did reports. Reefs put up any other material for download.
Most of the other classes had much lower requirements, this was a advanced class. I think they had other ones that were more entry level too.

I know there was a reef chemistry class I think it was run by Randy.

They had pretty many and varied ones. I think they had aquarium photography etc.

It was a small fee and was very popular.
You could sign me up right now.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It may sound silly, but having a reminder that sends you an email (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.) might be nice for build threads or threads where we're supposed to update.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still waiting for an indication throughout the thread denoting the original poster. I think at one point it was said it was coming in the next revision....

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notifications/Alerts seem a little unreliable. Sometimes I'll get an Alert for an update to a watched thread and when I go look it actually has pages of new posts since I last checked. Should have gotten that Alert sooner Imma thinkin'. But honestly if there's 50 new posts in a day I don't want 50 separate alerts either - so maybe a summary saying '50 new posts in <link>' or something. Details & thresholds TBD.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was less anonymity. It’s one of the things that tends to make people more responsible for what they say (post) when they cannot hide behind it.
I can certainly understand this from your perspective, but there's no way I would want my real name attached to every post.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this has been stated, or maybe it's just my phone/tablet, but..
It seems that autocorrect has a nasty tendancy to either double post (not sure if this really the best explanation) on whatever word I am trying to autocorrect. I spend half my time posting, half my time bacmspaciba (perfect example) backspacing to fix whatever word my simple brain is trying to spell.
It may just be on my end, but it's really frustrating..

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled-7.jpg

Day two of 2019 and I would like to hear from you!

I realize that a lot of you really like R2R as it is and we are so glad of that! That being said we want to make it even better and the best it can be! There is always room to improve!

Can you think of something or somewhere we can improve on that would make R2R even better?
Also we really need discussion section for NPS corals, like soft coral forum. Ive been here over a year and don't plan leaving ever. I have a lab on 1 acre, "Backwoods Labs", instead of moonshine, we're trying to raise NPS softies. Keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled-7.jpg

Day two of 2019 and I would like to hear from you!

I realize that a lot of you really like R2R as it is and we are so glad of that! That being said we want to make it even better and the best it can be! There is always room to improve!

Can you think of something or somewhere we can improve on that would make R2R even better?
What I see missing is a way to do rough draft of a thread one is planning to launch . One in which we can remove, add to it, as we please till ready to introduce.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I see missing is a way to do rough draft of a thread one is planning to launch . One in which we can remove, add to it, as we please till ready to introduce.

Yes. And be able to save multiple works.

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a suggestion for improving the android mobile app. No matter which settings I change, or how many times I uninstall/reinstall the app, the notifications do not work. If I haven't opted for an email, I don't get any notifications from any thread I follow. Judging on the app reviews, this seems to be a common problem. But I absolutely love the browser version!

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was less anonymity. It’s one of the things that tends to make people more responsible for what they say (post) when they cannot hide behind it.
I have to be careful with my real identity. Thanks to an awful ex, I get nervous when I give sellers on this forum my shipping address, much less allowing everybody on the forum to know *exactly* where I am.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be the librarian in me, but an introductory article/video on how to subject search this forum. I've only been here a few months and already I keep seeing the same questions pop up over and over again -- instead of searching to see if it has been asked before. (I've been guilty of this myself.) But it may help to show the newer folks (and the veterans) how to search for the information they need to find. If they can't find it -- they can always ask. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back