How to mount your RODI filters: Where do you put your RODI system?

Where do you put your RODI system?

• Mounted on the wall.

Votes: 202 59.6%
  • Sitting on the floor.

Votes: 32 9.4%
  • In a cabinet/closet.

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Under a sink.

Votes: 49 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 38 11.2%

• Total voters

tekknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and difficult for me to see what's going on in the pics. It seems like everyone is using a storage container to hold the rodi water and then the fish tank is filled from that with an ato. I don't want to be manually filling the storage container all the time, I want that to happen automatically. Do I need to install two ato's then? Is there a way to do it with just one on the fish tank and no storage container?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and difficult for me to see what's going on in the pics. It seems like everyone is using a storage container to hold the rodi water and then the fish tank is filled from that with an ato. I don't want to be manually filling the storage container all the time, I want that to happen automatically. Do I need to install two ato's then? Is there a way to do it with just one on the fish tank and no storage container?
I know for me, I just have one. Some will have "buddy systems" or booster bumps to where they can make cleaner water more efficiently. Doing it directly into a tank is possible, but I am not an expert on that subject, so hopefully someone else can chime in!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is there a way to do it with just one on the fish tank and no storage container?
Things fail, usually at the worst time.
A simple explanation is, the danger, IMO of not having a rodi storage container is if you have the rodi unit plumbed directly to the tank is the float valve at the tank could fail and you run the risk of a flood and causing the saltwater to turn to freshwater.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only case where I would even come close to doing it would be directly into a top off res. But if the valve fails you will have ro/di all over your floor. At least the tank is safe. My ro container is in the basement with a drain hose plumbed to the basement drain so if float valve fails water is directed to drain not on my floor.
Things fail, usually at the worst time.
A simple explanation is, the danger, IMO of not having a rodi storage container is if you have the rodi unit plumbed directly to the tank is the float valve at the tank could fail and you run the risk of a flood and causing the saltwater to turn to freshwater.
This.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything plumbed to an endless source, like your city water supply, must have redundant controls for safety.

That said, sure, you can do without a water reservoir.

My RO system filters water from my well system to the kitchen drinking water and ice maker, using a small pressure tank as storage. The same RO system also flows through a 3 stage DI system to my aquarium.

Note: You're going to hear about TDS creep and inefficient use of RO and DI equipment when you go this route. It's true... and it doesn't really matter. Yeah, your RO and DI will be more efficient if you run big batches of water rather than small pulses. Worth it to me.

From the DI system, water flows to three use points in my aquarium sump room. All three points use a mechanical float valve. One in the sump's return compartment for normal auto top off duties, one to a kalkwasser reactor for calc/alk dosing, and one to a mixing barrel that I use for water changes. Each of these three use points also has an electric float switch, mounted above the mechanical float valve, where it's always dry, unless the float valve fails. If that happens, water hits the float switch, closing a circuit that controls an electric ball valve. The valve closes when the control circuit is closed, or when power fails. Water from the DI system passes through that electric ball valve on it's way to the manifold that supplies all three use points.

Oh, add in that any of the three electric float switches tripping sends me an email alert, and turns on an audible alarm... and there are two water alarms in the floor of my sump closet, just in case.

Yeah, you really want to be belt and suspenders on this sort of thing :D

So, mixing barrel is filled on demand (I manually open a valve), but it shuts off when it's full. Over-filling will shut off incoming water. ATO is supplied on demand, and it too, if overfilled, will shut off incoming water. Kalk reactor, again, on demand, and safe if the mechanical valve fails.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back