How to mount your RODI filters: Where do you put your RODI system?

Where do you put your RODI system?

• Mounted on the wall.

Votes: 202 59.6%
  • Sitting on the floor.

Votes: 32 9.4%
  • In a cabinet/closet.

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Under a sink.

Votes: 49 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 38 11.2%

• Total voters

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines been on wire rack in laundry room for the almost 5 years I've been in the hobby. It's a bit of a pain at filter/DI changing time but otherwise it works. I keep thinking to move it to garage and wall mount it...maybe next year.

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_125152665_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210129_125152665_HDR.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 60

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine as stated before is a zero waste system by Watts, and has to connect to water heater. Not exotic but functional, with an add on DI filter. Mounted on a s
DI.jpg
heet of plywood

keithIHS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted on the wall in the laundry room next to the water heater. Supply line to the RODI from the cold water supply (for the water heater), waste line to the laundry room floor drain, and fresh output line runs up into the ceiling and over to another room in the basement to my storage tanks.

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm quite uniquely lucky in my positioning. My tank lives in my Garage workshop, which shares a common wall with my kitchen. Reef Tank on one side of the wall, kitchen sink on the other.
I have a 6-stage RO/DI filter system mounted to the cabinet under the kitchen sink with multiple splitters and taps running off it.
I split water off after the first 3 stages to go into a filtered water tap on the kitchen sink. A second line splits off from this to pass through the wall, into the back of a small kegerator fridge in the workshop, where it connects to a self-carbonating 5 gal keg that lives in the fridge and provides a permanent supply of chilled carbonated water. This soda water passes back through the wall to a second tap on the kitchen sink - providing both still and chilled soda water on tap.
After the drinking water is split off, the rest of the water passes through the RO and DI filters, and is then passed through the wall again to the garage beside the tank. It passes through an Auto Aqua Smart Shut Off Valve and ends in a small tap. I can pop the level sensor from the shut-off valve into my two SaltWater reservoirs or my Atuto Top-off reservoir to fill them up as needed.
I run two seperate Saltwater reservoirs so I can fill and prepare one while the other is in use - I use an AutoAqua Water Change system to manage Auto Top Off as well as daily 2% water changes. I top up the Fresh reservoir maybe once a month, and the Saltwater reservoirs typically last 2 weeks each so one is topped up every two weeks.
Having the water piped right to the reservoir is great and the Auto Shut off valve allows me to start the flow and walk away, knowing it will stop when the reservoir is full. Come back the next day, add some salt, and start the mixing pump. The small 2% water changes mean the salinity is a lot more stable, and I don't need to heat the saltwater reservoirs because the small amount isn't enough to change the overall temp of the tank.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So mine sits on a shelf in a closet in my art studio. Works out perfectly for me as that closet is right beside the laundry nook in the back hallway.. A small hole in the adjoining wall amd I have fresh water and a drain right there~!!

1690708881343.png

1690708917916.png

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted on a wall in back of the tank. It goes to a DIY de-ionization filter on the ceiling then flows to a 7 gallon bucket hung next to it and gravity feeds to the tank through a float valve.

Water in the bucket is controlled by a DIY float connected to a mercury switch rescued from a vintage thermostat which turns off a water valve that feeds the RO/DI. Been working for over 40 years. :)

Those other filters next to it are for nostalgia and are never used. That diatom filter is probably older than most members on here. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted under my sink, I originally bought another faucet to replace the soap dispenser for the RO water but was a little inconvenient for filling a large bucket. Also just wondering what the extra 2 canisters are that everyone is posting with?

image.jpg image.jpg

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted under my sink, I originally bought another faucet to replace the soap dispenser for the RO water but was a little inconvenient for filling a large bucket. Also just wondering what the extra 2 canisters are that everyone is posting with?

image.jpg image.jpg
It looks like they are filled with the de-ionising beads in a typical DI setup? The RO filter is typically the small one mounted horizontally on top but the orange-ish contents of the extra canisters looks like the media in the DI filters to me.

iwnltom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like they are filled with the de-ionising beads in a typical DI setup? The RO filter is typically the small one mounted horizontally on top but the orange-ish contents of the extra canisters looks like the media in the DI filters to me.
Take this system for reference, the extra two canisters to the right. If that is what ur already talking about then thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1130.png
    IMG_1130.png
    586.4 KB · Views: 50

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take this system for reference, the extra two canisters to the right. If that is what ur already talking about then thank you!
I’m guessing but, yeah. It’s hard to say for sure but it looks like it’s full of loose grains or beads. And based on this other one it seems to have the orange/yellow look of DI beads
IMG_5536.jpeg

For example:
IMG_5537.jpeg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Our of curiosity what are the extra two canisters on the right ? My system only has 3 but most of the photos in the post are similar to yours? Wondering if I’m missing something lol. Thanks
That system is a 6 stage unit. RO membrane, sediment filter, 2 carbons and 2 di's. The 2 on the right side are di resin filters.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’m guessing but, yeah. It’s hard to say for sure but it looks like it’s full of loose grains or beads. And based on this other one it seems to have the orange/yellow look of DI beads
IMG_5536.jpeg

For example:
I use color changing di resin in the 2 right side containers

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use color changing di resin in the 2 right side containers
Oh. Colour changing. In a clear container. That’s awesome!!

Mines a 6 stage with a single DI in an opaque container and I just kind of swap filters every 18 months or so, when I decide it’s probably time.
I run things a lot more fast and loose than most do.

skydirt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lucky enough to have room to mount on wall in fish room

Attachments

• 20230803_184325.jpg
    20230803_184325.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230803_184255.jpg
    20230803_184255.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 50

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I built a stand for my barrels with a back to mount the RO/DI on it. I wanted to keep everything portable just in case I had to relocate it to keep the peace at home.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back