How to prepare dry rock for tank?

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this stuff (Jakarta) as I liked how lightweight and it was and some natural shaped pieces. There are some bit and pieces of sponges or things on some of it. My questions:
1. How best to prepare for new tank (brand new) set up I am doing?
2. If leaving it soak in water can it be tap water or would it be better to use RODI?

Thanks in advance for the help!
-Matt

B95D3DA7-5F9A-4F97-B0A7-D6E605BA7812.jpeg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this stuff (Jakarta) as I liked how lightweight and it was and some natural shaped pieces. There are some bit and pieces of sponges or things on some of it. My questions:
1. How best to prepare for new tank (brand new) set up I am doing?
2. If leaving it soak in water can it be tap water or would it be better to use RODI?

Thanks in advance for the help!
-Matt

B95D3DA7-5F9A-4F97-B0A7-D6E605BA7812.jpeg
You’ll need to clean off all the organic matter you can. It probably needs to be cured too. I’ve never done this but I’ll bet #reefsquad can help.

As far as the water, what’s the quality of your tap?

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a loaded question. Personally I would pick it over for noticeable organics (sponges, dead algae, etc.) and then do a bleach protocol. Or just soak it in fresh mixed saltwater for a good long time and change out the water every so often. As to whether or not to use RO/DI or tap. My tap is horrendous, like I won't drink it horrendous. I'm worried some of the detectable uranium and other crap in my tap water my stay in or on the rock so I'd rather not risk it. If you don't know what is in your tap water, call the company or go on their website. They are required by law to provide an analysis.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a loaded question. Personally I would pick it over for noticeable organics (sponges, dead algae, etc.) and then do a bleach protocol. Or just soak it in fresh mixed saltwater for a good long time and change out the water every so often. As to whether or not to use RO/DI or tap. My tap is horrendous, like I won't drink it horrendous. I'm worried some of the detectable uranium and other crap in my tap water my stay in or on the rock so I'd rather not risk it. If you don't know what is in your tap water, call the company or go on their website. They are required by law to provide an analysis.
Agreed. The rock is going to soak in it for a long time so why risk it.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for my tapwater, I can definitely look into that, but it to city water supply and we drink it every day. Doesn’t mean it’s good, but that’s what you been doing for years.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last tank setup, I used all dry rock, and processed the heck out of it before it ever saw the inside of the DT.
First a bath in dilute muriatic acid to remove all organics and some phosphate.
Then multiple baths in lanthanum chloride to remove as much phosphate as possible.
Then cycling with ammonium chloride and bottled bacteria in a brute with heater and powerhead.
Only when cycling was complete did I transfer the rocks to the DT, discarding all of the water.
Only used RODI water to make the saltwater for the cycle. Before that, tap.
No high nitrate level to get rid off. No algae problems at all. :)

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for my tapwater, I can definitely look into that, but it to city water supply and we drink it every day. Doesn’t mean it’s good, but that’s what you been doing for years.
You might not after reading the analysis ;Hilarious

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt, the first thing I'd if I was in your shoes, is soak it in RO/DI saltwater. Let it soak for a couple of days. Have a powerhead or pump in the container with the water and rock.After a few days take a good look at the water. Is it still look pretty clear or is it dirty? If it's fairly clear do a full round of tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate and even any other test kits you may have. If the water looks dirty, don't bother with the test yet. Just empty out all the dirty water, rinse the rocks and container with tap water and then soak it again in RO/DI saltwater. Once you get a clean (clear) water after soaking for 2 or 3 days, then do the tests. That way you'll at least have a starting point and a much better idea of how clean or dirty your rock is.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the ideas/input. Guess some sort of soaking in either RODI or my mixed saltwater using my RODI and potentially some sort of physical cleaning/scrubbing may be the best bet before putting in the display tank.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would soak it over night in a dilute bleach solution. Say 1 cup to 10 gallons of tap water or maybe more diluted. After that, I would rinse, clean it with brushes. If it is nice and clean looking, the organics might be removed. If not, repeat until clean.

There might be phosphates in the rock. You could put a cup of muriatic acid into enough tap water to immerse the rocks and let it rip. This will erode away a fine layer of rock and hopefully remove the phosphates.

And/or, you could stick the rocks into saltwater mixed from RODI with a power head and let sit for a week. Test the water for phosphates using the Hanna ULR if possible. If you have phosphates do a 100 percent water change and repeat until you have 0 phosphates.

While you are curing the rock in saltwater, you could add a little ammonia and get the cycle done before you add to your display.

OP
OP
mfl74

mfl74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would soak it over night in a dilute bleach solution. Say 1 cup to 10 gallons of tap water or maybe more diluted. After that, I would rinse, clean it with brushes. If it is nice and clean looking, the organics might be removed. If not, repeat until clean.

There might be phosphates in the rock. You could put a cup of muriatic acid into enough tap water to immerse the rocks and let it rip. This will erode away a fine layer of rock and hopefully remove the phosphates.

And/or, you could stick the rocks into saltwater mixed from RODI with a power head and let sit for a week. Test the water for phosphates using the Hanna ULR if possible. If you have phosphates do a 100 percent water change and repeat until you have 0 phosphates.

While you are curing the rock in saltwater, you could add a little ammonia and get the cycle done before you add to your display.

PatW:
So really there is no "one" way recommended...that's OK, I appreciate the info.
Also, is this the phosphate checker you referenced to use? I am getting back into saltwater and haven't used this in the past. Thanks for the info.
phosphorus-ultra-low-range-colorimeter-hi736-hanna-checker-hc-marine-water.html

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello mfl , I'm with Ron Reefman . No need for bleach or acid. scrub ,pick, pull what Ya can. & soak ( new salt water ) in a barrel & power head. The only thing different from Ron, He suggests a couple days .I would suggest a couple of weeks. However I see where that could be impractical . The nutrients test will tell Ya ( No3 , Po4) You don't want to put a bunch of rock loaded with phosphates in your new tank. that's my penny's worth. Good luck !

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello mfl , I'm with Ron Reefman . No need for bleach or acid. scrub ,pick, pull what Ya can. & soak ( new salt water ) in a barrel & power head. The only thing different from Ron, He suggests a couple days .I would suggest a couple of weeks. However I see where that could be impractical . The nutrients test will tell Ya ( No3 , Po4) You don't want to put a bunch of rock loaded with phosphates in your new tank. that's my penny's worth. Good luck !

Agreed. Why do a prophylactic treatment it if there isn't anything wrong with it? Just put it saltwater and do some tests over time.

Besides, you shouldn't be in a hurry. As the old saying goes in this hobby:
Nothing good happens quickly in a marine aquarium!

Patience is a virtue.

pjdiddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerwash > Bleach soak > Powerwash > Sun > RODI w dechlorinator soak > RODI soak. Thats what I did. Rocks werent that nasty thats why I didnt mess with it in acid.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agitate in a bucket to loosen any sediment, dirt, etc and add to tank

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rkpetersen I agree 100% with what you said. Never thought about lanthanum chloride! Good idea to pull the phosphate out.
Question, what does aluminum chloride do in cycling the rocks?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Aluminum is considered to be an ion and has no real biological use in tank, however, it can have an impact on aquarium organisms if elevated sufficiently over natural levels. Phosguard has been shown to release aluminum to artificial seawater but there is no evidence. It seems the release of aluminum could be the cause of the effects that some reefers have seen in aquarium when using aluminum based phosphate and silicate absorbing materials. Question is- can it be trusted with cleaning coral?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rkpetersen I agree 100% with what you said. Never thought about lanthanum chloride! Good idea to pull the phosphate out.
Question, what does aluminum chloride do in cycling the rocks?

Thanks.
Are you talking about when I mention using ammonium chloride? (Not aluminum.)
Ammonium chloride is food for the first stage of the cycling bacteria.
It lets you control and raise the ammonia level in your water directly, instead of using a tough living fish or a dead decaying shrimp to generate ammonia.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back