How to properly fill a new tank and sump for correct level??

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please explain the proper way to fill a tank and sump for the first time and achieve the correct level to prevent sump overflow floods. I have always had AIO setups. This would be my very first sump. Please pardon my inexperience. Thanks!

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please explain the proper way to fill a tank and sump for the first time and achieve the correct level to prevent sump overflow floods. I have always had AIO setups. This would be my very first sump. Please pardon my inexperience. Thanks!
When I setup my first tank with a sump this was what my LFS told me and *knock on wood* my sump never over flowed.

Fill the tank right up to the overflow line without it going into the overflow. Then you fill your sump to a safe level. This should put your system in the state you want it when the power fails. Once you have that level you then turn the system on.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would fill up the tank with overflows and everything in the tank let it overflow into the sump with all equiptment in the sump fill the sump up with like an inch left up top

Now turn on ur return pump and let the water level out for a minute or two and make a line where the water is this is where you put ur ato or where you fill the water to and never higher as water will overflow the sump.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I setup my first tank with a sump this was what my LFS told me and *knock on wood* my sump never over flowed.

Fill the tank right up to the overflow line without it going into the overflow. Then you fill your sump to a safe level. This should put your system in the state you want it when the power fails. Once you have that level you then turn the system on.
Good advice. I did a similar thing. Filled up my tank into the overflow with valves shut and added water to the sump and I started the flow process and adjusted the flow coming out and going in and added water until everything was level. It worked for me.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should feel lucky that two people from nj helped ya see we're not that bad of people we even let New York say that reefapoliza is there's when it's clearly in New Jersey.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back