How to QT lawnmower blenny

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an algae problem in my anemone only tank. I am attacking it from multiple angles and have decided to get a lawnmower blenny as the last piece from a multiple prong approach.

Since I qt all new fish this has me thinking what would be the proper qt protocol?

I assume I can feed him nori, or some algae wafers that I have read about.

I usually do 4 weeks of CP then 2 rounds of prazi for a total of 6 weeks.

Are blennys ok with CP or does anyone else with more experience have a better option?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean chloroquine phosphate or copper?

I took mine through tank transfer method, and he ate everything. I got everyone eating black worms before I took them out of quarantine, but he's a pig. I think the trick is they are helped by seeing another fish eat if they're not sure if it's food. That's always been my success method, multiple fish. I've heard some are hard to get eating other foods, so I'd just see what he/she likes and use that.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar experience for me. TTM with a diamond gobby, including Prazi treatments on transfers 2 and 4. Then observed for another 30 days. They both ate a variety of frozen food but the Blenny pretty much ignored a piece of nori on a clip. Made a mess of the 10 G QT however.
Look for the treatment compatibility table (CP, Cu, etc) sticky at the top of this forum.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've brought three blennies through copper to date - a starry, midas and orange-spot. They all came through just fine, and will eat virtually anything I put in the tank. (In the case of the orange-spot, that includes magnetic algae scrapers and my fingers.)

Not lawnmowers, granted, but the starry's a pretty close relative . . .

~Bruce

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my starry blenny through coppersafe and fed it LRS and algae wafers. No issues at all.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lawnmower blenny did fine with CP. I did GC and CP at he same time with no issues except normal appetite suppression that comes with Prazi. When in the QT, I fed my LMB hair algae from the display tank, Seaweed Selects, and Hikari algae pellets. It also ate every kind of frozen food, flake, etc. that I fed. That said, mine isn't crazy about Seaweed Selects. Now in the display tank, I still add nori on a clip, but my yellow-flanked wrasse eats most of it. My lawnmower blenny loves nuisance micro algae.

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I have a good game plan in place!

I will try the CP as it is so much easier. I like the set it and forget it approach. I tired TTM once and must have made a mistake along the way cross contaminating something and the ich came back. Not to mention the amount of water changes I did every couple of days.

Thank you everyone for the posts.

I am hoping to pick one up this weekend with all the black Friday deals.

I will post an update if I find one. :)

OP
OP
Chitown tom

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pickup one up last night.
Placed him into a 10 gallon qt and dosed with .45 g of CP.

Today I am going to try to offer some hair algae rubber banded to a piece of PVC from my problem tank to see if he will take it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back