How to quarantine a wrasse?

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse quarantine question - how would y'all quarantine a wrasse? I've read conflicting comments about how wrasses are unusually sensitive to copper. I generally follow Advanced Aquarist's quarantine protocol (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/quarantining-marine-fish-made-simple) - PraziPro day 2, start copper day 7 with a 2nd dose of PraziPro, and finish day 21 (14 days of copper). The big difference is that since the QT already has therapeutic levels of copper, the wrasse wouuld be geting coppered on day 1.

Would you QT as usual, or do something different? Pink streaked wrasse, if it matters.

I should add - the wrasse arrives in 48 hrs, and I do not have chloroquine.

Thanks!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took all of my wrasses through copper, it's very hard to test accurately, but just bring the levels up slowly. There should be a good thread in the disease forum (where you might get better results too). Prazi and/or metrodozanol is my standard with either copper or tank transfer. With sand burrowing wrasses, ttm was not reasonable to do.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish should be added to a tank alreeady at therapeutic copper level, it needs to have time to adjust, ideally several days to bring it to therapeutic level unless velvet is present then you want to raise it quicker but still not at once.

Set up a separate tank for the wrasse at least until it's settled and slowly raise the copper level. After it's at therapeutic copper level you could probably add it to the main quarantine.

Oh and 30 days copper would be standard, unless you are transferring to a sterile quarantine after 14 days

tpack17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 wrasses in QT right now. I first fattened all of the fish up for two weeks. Then added coppersafe over 4 days. Been 2 weeks and everyone is same as they were before copper. Healthy. Good luck.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as usual but increase copper much more slowly (over 5-7 day’s IMO)

+1 Treat with copper for 30 days, and then Prazipro either before or after. I wouldn't combine both medications unless it is necessary - especially on a wrasse.

OP
OP
O

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! Someone also forwarded https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-and-treatment-guidelines-with-chart.283450/ as a link, which was very helpful! I'm a bit peeved, as I've been quarantining with Cupramine (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/quarantining-marine-fish-made-simple) thinking that it was better than chelated copper. Apparently not . . . and the optimal QT duration of copper is now at an absolute minimum 14 days (more of a tank transfer than killing ich outright) and ideally 28 days for longer lived strains . . . yecch. I also need to figure out if I need a dish of silica sand for my wrasse (I'm assuming not, as it isn't a leopard wrasse - if I'm wrong, please feel free to let me know).

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streaked wrasses don't need sand.
For cuprimine vs coppersafe, from what I've read they are both fine, some fish tolerate one or the other better but individual fish can also react poorly to either. In my experience the most important thing is to increase the copper very slowly and test every day with a reliable kit. Watch for adverse reactions such as loss of appetite or lethargy and have cuprisorb on hand to remove copper quickly if needed. Also make sure you have adequate biological filtration and an ammonia alert badge.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"About Pseudocheilinops
A genus which contains a sole species; P. ataenia – the pink streak wrasses. A sister genus to that of Pseudocheilinus, but the attitude could not be any more divergent. The species is exceptionally peaceful and remains under 2.5”; very suitable for 20 to 30 gallon systems. Sometimes shy, and does not need a sand bed as they will sleep within the rockwork in a mucus cocoon. Category 1 in terms of reef-safeness."
From: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/

OP
OP
O

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biofiltration is good (it was spotty until I added a bag of MarinePure ceramic biomedia balls with a powerhead on top, which has done an excellent job of maintaining ammonia at very low to undetectable levels even with overfeeding). I had an Ammonia Alert, but it was so inaccurate that I threw it out. CupriSorb is around (as is activated charcoal). Will be ordering chelated copper and an API high range test kit to arrive in the next 48 hrs.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand and type of copper hasn't mattered much IME, bringing the copper up slowly(as mentioned by others) is very important.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand and type of copper hasn't mattered much IME, bringing the copper up slowly(as mentioned by others) is very important.
Agree.

I have a hypothesis that cupramine is actually safer on wrasse — I feel that I’ve anecodtally had more trouble, particularly with halichoeres — in chelated copper (coppersafe and copper power) than I have in ionic copper (cupramine).

I’m using cupramine now on a radiant and a melanarus — two Fish I’ve not yet successfully passed through coppersafe (except where the halichoeres wrasse were well established for quite some time beforehand in which case copper seemed to have little to no effect which is so strange)

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do tank-transfer with prazi, and observe for velvet / bacterial / internal signs for ~6 weeks in observational QT afterwords. 4/4 with wrasses so far using this method;

New:
C. cyanopleura
C. lubbocki
C. rubeus

Existing:
P. ataenia

While trying chelated copper (coppersafe), I've lost a C. rubeus and H. chrysus. I can't 100% blame it on copper, but that's my experience thus far with that method.

I had velvet hit through a dottyback at the start of this year, so I know what to look out for now and give them a long proper stint in observation QT.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do tank-transfer with prazi, and observe for velvet / bacterial / internal signs for ~6 weeks in observational QT afterwords. 4/4 with wrasses so far using this method

^^ This is probably the safest way to QT a wrasse. But as you mentioned, one must observe closely for signs (including behavioral symptoms) of velvet for 4-6 weeks afterwards.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biofiltration is good (it was spotty until I added a bag of MarinePure ceramic biomedia balls with a powerhead on top, which has done an excellent job of maintaining ammonia at very low to undetectable levels even with overfeeding). I had an Ammonia Alert, but it was so inaccurate that I threw it out. CupriSorb is around (as is activated charcoal). Will be ordering chelated copper and an API high range test kit to arrive in the next 48 hrs.

The ammonia alert badge didn't work??? They usually work great for me, but I use a small tank and change almost all of the water as soon as it changes color the slightest. The badge also takes a few hours to reset back to zero. You can take a Q-tip, dip it in Ammonia and put it by the badge out of the tank and watch it turn color. If it doesn't turn, it's defective. But I've never had a bad one yet.

Also, I believe Cuprisorb may only remove ionic copper, like Cupramine, but you should look into that. I use Cupramine because it's easier to remove from the tank. Also, like someone else said, aerate the tank heavily with an air stone when using Prazipro.

If the Wrasse is a burrower, I usually put a small bit of aragonite sand in one of the corners for it to sleep. But if it's not a burrower, then don't worry about that.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I believe Cuprisorb may only remove ionic copper, like Cupramine, but you should look into that.

Cuprisorb removes all types of copper. It just seems to do a better job with Cupramine than chelated copper (e.g. Coppersafe) IME.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back