How to Quarantine

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although corals/inverts can "house" ich for up to 72 days, they cannot host the way a fish can. Denying the parasites a host to feed upon is the key to starving it out of your DT. So, all corals/inverts can remain in the DT... but all fish need to be removed, QT'd and treated for ich.

I thought I read somewhere that you can add corals to an already existing coral QT and NOT restart the 72 day clock. This does not make sense to me because aren't you running the risk of new parasites that can transfer to the corals that are already in the QT?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I read somewhere that you can add corals to an already existing coral QT and NOT restart the 72 day clock. This does not make sense to me because aren't you running the risk of new parasites that can transfer to the corals that are already in the QT?

The concern is a parasite falling off a fish and forming a cyst on a coral or invert. Without a fish host in between it has no method of moving from one hard surface to another. That is why it doesn’t reset the clock.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a aqueon hob filter rated for 20 gallons. Is that enough flow for a 10gallon QT? I also have a 145gph powerhead but that seems like it might be too much. I don’t want the fish to have trouble swimming.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a aqueon hob filter rated for 20 gallons. Is that enough flow for a 10gallon QT? I also have a 145gph powerhead but that seems like it might be too much. I don’t want the fish to have trouble swimming.

I always use an Aquaclear 50 HOB (200 gph) for my 10 gal QTs. You would only need a small PH (pointed towards the surface for additional gas exchange) if you were housing a lot of fish in the 10 gal.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm new to QT, if you are putting new fish in the QT, is CP the only medication you use (for prevention) or do you guys also use other medications in QT prior to release in your DT? If not using CP, I've read using Paraguard followed by Praxipro and Cupramine....does CP cover all 3 just as well?

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks....just wanted to clarify one question I have forgotten the answer to. I ran my qt with some fish in it for a couple of weeks with no meds. I then did about a 50% water change and dosed with CP on the 24th. Then on the 31st I did my first dose of GC. I know I need to do my 2cd Dose of GC today, but I can't remember if I am supposed to couple that with a water change. So there is my question WC or no? If so what percentage and I think I need to add some CP back in depending on what I take out correct?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks....just wanted to clarify one question I have forgotten the answer to. I ran my qt with some fish in it for a couple of weeks with no meds. I then did about a 50% water change and dosed with CP on the 24th. Then on the 31st I did my first dose of GC. I know I need to do my 2cd Dose of GC today, but I can't remember if I am supposed to couple that with a water change. So there is my question WC or no? If so what percentage and I think I need to add some CP back in depending on what I take out correct?

No water change yet. And yes you need to add cp to the new water before adding to the tank.

5c9ae7aa20355ef89c6dd6c28c0be6d9.jpg

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has probably been answered but can you use matrix with medications? Or will it absorb like live rock would

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has probably been answered but can you use matrix with medications? Or will it absorb like live rock would

Ceramic biomedia will absorb medications, but I'm not sure what Matrix is made from. However, anything which claims to be "porous" usually absorbs IME.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic biomedia will absorb medications, but I'm not sure what Matrix is made from. However, anything which claims to be "porous" usually absorbs IME.
I was planning on keeping some of that in my sump to keep seeded to use when a quarantine is needed because i dont plan on keeping it running all the time. So if i cant use media like that what would u suggest to pre seed for bio media

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on keeping some of that in my sump to keep seeded to use when a quarantine is needed because i dont plan on keeping it running all the time. So if i cant use media like that what would u suggest to pre seed for bio media
Cheap disposable foam filter material. Matrix is basically pumus stone which will soak up whatever you put in the tank. You could use it once, but that is an expensive one time use.

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap disposable foam filter material. Matrix is basically pumus stone which will soak up whatever you put in the tank. You could use it once, but that is an expensive one time use.
I didn't plan on reusing it i just didn't think the meds would be effective with something soaking them up. Is that not correct?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A sponge or foam insert:

p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

You can seed 1 or 2 with any bacteria in a bottle product: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ammonia-control-in-a-hospital-tank.296119/

Or stick it down in your DT sump for about a month, and it will turn biological as nitrifying bacteria begin to colonize it.

Both the Aquaclear and Seachem Tidal HOBs utilize foam inserts. Another option is the Biowheel: http://www.marineland.com/Products/...ilter-saltwater-filter-freshwater-filter.aspx

I've test all of the above for copper absorption and it was minimal to nonexistent. ;)

Bthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sponge or foam insert:

p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

You can seed 1 or 2 with any bacteria in a bottle product: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ammonia-control-in-a-hospital-tank.296119/

Or stick it down in your DT sump for about a month, and it will turn biological as nitrifying bacteria begin to colonize it.

Both the Aquaclear and Seachem Tidal HOBs utilize foam inserts. Another option is the Biowheel: http://www.marineland.com/Products/...ilter-saltwater-filter-freshwater-filter.aspx

I've test all of the above for copper absorption and it was minimal to nonexistent. ;)
Thanks. I will switch to something like that in the future.
Will the matrix be ok to use tho since i already have it in there as long as i dont intend to reuse it?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the matrix be ok to use tho since i already have it in there as long as i dont intend to reuse it?

Yes, but test your copper level daily to ensure no measurable absorption is occurring.

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my General Cure has had 7 days with the 2cd dose is it necessary to do a WC? I am still running the CP treatment, that has another week and 1/2 or so left.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back