How to Quarantine

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a bit confused! I’m in the process of setting up a 29 gal QT tank for new fish. I know I can’t seed a sponge from my DT as it is still sitting fallow (til March 10th). I got an HOB filter and a heater. Also bought some Dr Tim’s One & Only to seed the QT but now I saw on his website that I need to add Ammonium Chloride to “feed” the bacteria until I add fish. I checked R2R and the comments are all over the board re; how many drops of Ammonia need to be added. (My bottle says 4 drop/gal but reefers are saying that’s too much. Apparently Dr. Tim changed the concentration on the Ammonium Chloride. Can I avoid the ammonia step by waiting til the day before I buy fish to add the One & Only?

I’ve got the Prazipro & Coppermine ready to go once the fish get acclimated but am not sure about this ammonia step.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on keeping some of that in my sump to keep seeded to use when a quarantine is needed because i dont plan on keeping it running all the time. So if i cant use media like that what would u suggest to pre seed for bio media

I have used Matrix in QT for a couple of years and have never noticed any absorption of medications (at least copper). Cupramine stays perfectly stable and have never needed to top up to compensate for absorption from the Matrix media.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my General Cure has had 7 days with the 2cd dose is it necessary to do a WC? I am still running the CP treatment, that has another week and 1/2 or so left.

Not necessary, but recommended to keep water quality good. I.E. Dying flukes expel toxins and their decaying little bodies can foul the water slightly.

I’m a bit confused! I’m in the process of setting up a 29 gal QT tank for new fish. I know I can’t seed a sponge from my DT as it is still sitting fallow (til March 10th). I got an HOB filter and a heater. Also bought some Dr Tim’s One & Only to seed the QT but now I saw on his website that I need to add Ammonium Chloride to “feed” the bacteria until I add fish. I checked R2R and the comments are all over the board re; how many drops of Ammonia need to be added. (My bottle says 4 drop/gal but reefers are saying that’s too much. Apparently Dr. Tim changed the concentration on the Ammonium Chloride. Can I avoid the ammonia step by waiting til the day before I buy fish to add the One & Only?

You need to use the bacteria in a bottle product for at least a week before adding fish. That will give the nitrifying bacteria time to get established in your biofilter. And so long as you add fish about a week later, there is no reason to dose ammonium chloride. The fish poop & uneaten food will “feed” the bacteria. ;)

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to use the bacteria in a bottle product for at least a week before adding fish. That will give the nitrifying bacteria time to get established in your biofilter. And so long as you add fish about a week later, there is no reason to dose ammonium chloride. The fish poop & uneaten food will “feed” the bacteria. ;)
Thanks Humble Fish. That was my initial understanding after reading your "How to Quarantine" & "Quarantine Dos & Donts" but somewhere along the way I read on Dr Tim's site about having to feed the bacteria with ammonia so I bought a small bottle. No matter, glad I dont need to use it.
I've got your QT tutorials bookmarked and refer to them regularly. Thank you for all you do to help us novice reefers succeed.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fake coral insert in my QT along with PVC. The fish seem to greatly prefer hiding in it over the PVC. Will the coral insert absorb copper like rock does? Or not since it’s some kind of plastic material?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fake coral insert in my QT along with PVC. The fish seem to greatly prefer hiding in it over the PVC. Will the coral insert absorb copper like rock does? Or not since it’s some kind of plastic material?

Plastic does absorb, but it is probably only minimal. I would test your Cu level often just to be sure.

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully my last question on this. This is day 30 of CP treatment, and have done the 2 doses of GC2. I do however have one fish I added to the process about 5 days into the CP (still got the full 2 doses of GC2). Do I need to leave all the fish in for the extra 5 days or just the one I added later?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully my last question on this. This is day 30 of CP treatment, and have done the 2 doses of GC2. I do however have one fish I added to the process about 5 days into the CP (still got the full 2 doses of GC2). Do I need to leave all the fish in for the extra 5 days or just the one I added later?

I would just wait the 5 extra days.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Should I add a little more CP?

If you dosed @ 40mg/gal (or higher), that should be fine for a 35 day treatment. I would run carbon/do a large WC after that so you can redose again before the next batch of fish.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Setting up a 20 gallon QT for my wrasses incoming tomorrow.

So I have 2 that are will bury in the sand, so I am going to have a container with sand for them.

For the setup, I am buying a HOB filter tonight and will just use the foam in it. I already have a small powerhead, heater and ammonia alert badge for it. My question, the HOB has clearly not been seeding by the DT.

I have startsmart complete that is supposed to "instant cycle" an aquarium. Can I pour this into the HOB to help it get beneficial bacteria? I also have prodibio bioptim, would that be better?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I have 2 that are will bury in the sand, so I am going to have a container with sand for them.

For the setup, I am buying a HOB filter tonight and will just use the foam in it. I already have a small powerhead, heater and ammonia alert badge for it. My question, the HOB has clearly not been seeding by the DT.

I have startsmart complete that is supposed to "instant cycle" an aquarium. Can I pour this into the HOB to help it get beneficial bacteria? I also have prodibio bioptim, would that be better?
I'm not familiar with the startsmart product but I looked it up and that should be fine to add to the HOB filter to instantly cycle it. Anecdotally, people seem to have problems using Bioptim in a QT system. Not sure why.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally use Seachem Stability with good results. Bioptim is actually a Carbon source to feed the bacteria, not nitrifying bacteria. You could use biodigest which is bacteria, but I have never tried it to quick start a QT tank so do not know if it works.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm not familiar with the startsmart product but I looked it up and that should be fine to add to the HOB filter to instantly cycle it. Anecdotally, people seem to have problems using Bioptim in a QT system. Not sure why.

I personally use Seachem Stability with good results. Bioptim is actually a Carbon source to feed the bacteria, not nitrifying bacteria. You could use biodigest which is bacteria, but I have never tried it to quick start a QT tank so do not know if it works.

Thank you guys. I actually do have biodigest too but I think I am leaning towards the StartSmart Complete

Sagecritter4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys. I will see if I can find seachem stability tonight in the LFS. I actually do have biodigest too but I think I am leaning towards the StartSmart Complete
I've had pretty good luck with Fritzyme turbo start also if have it at local fish store in fridge section for bacteria cycling.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Np [emoji4]. Just be sure to monitor Amonia constantly. Even with those products it is not a given that you won’t have ammonia. Also if possible give it time before adding medications so that the bacteria has a chance to settle. Praziquantel should not have an issue but copper certainly does.

When I am treating with copper typically I add Stability weekly to try to keep bio filter going.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Since I have StartSmart already, I will probably just use that.

I plan on only really using Prazi unless I see something come up.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve successfully gotten my first three fish through treatment and everyone looks great! My process:

1. Received fish and got them eating for a few days

2. Treated with Prazipro.

3. 25% water change 5 days later and retreated with Prazipro.

4. 5 days later, ran carbon for 24 hours.

5. Dosed twice daily with Copper Power over 10 days to reach 2.5 ppm.

6. After 14 days, removed fish and nothing else to a sterile QT in another room.

7. Treated fish for 10 days with Kanaplex for a secondary skin infection.

8. Ran carbon for 48 hours.

9. Treated with Prazipro (following the calculator now)

10. 7 days later did water change and reposed Prazipro.

Now what? How long do I wait before the final move? :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve successfully gotten my first three fish through treatment and everyone looks great! My process:

1. Received fish and got them eating for a few days

2. Treated with Prazipro.

3. 25% water change 5 days later and retreated with Prazipro.

4. 5 days later, ran carbon for 24 hours.

5. Dosed twice daily with Copper Power over 10 days to reach 2.5 ppm.

6. After 14 days, removed fish and nothing else to a sterile QT in another room.

7. Treated fish for 10 days with Kanaplex for a secondary skin infection.

8. Ran carbon for 48 hours.

9. Treated with Prazipro (following the calculator now)

10. 7 days later did water change and reposed Prazipro.

Now what? How long do I wait before the final move? :)
I'd recommend waiting until after you have enjoyed a cold beer.

Or I would recommend that you can move them to the DT at any point you want as long as they are eating. One of those two. ;)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend waiting until after you have enjoyed a cold beer.

Or I would recommend that you can move them to the DT at any point you want as long as they are eating. One of those two. ;)
I was hoping it would be something like that :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%

Back