How to Quarantine

1. dwest

dwest Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I always had such a hard time measuring the concentration of cupramine. Sounds like you have to deal with it. Good luck.

VJV likes this.

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Hanna copper checker makes it easy!

dwest and HotRocks like this.
  3. VJV

VJV Valuable Member

Well, I dosed the equivalent to 0,15 so sincerely doubt copper could have rocketed to theoretic dangerous levels. I also have a mccoskeri wrasse in there and he is doing well.

dwest likes this.
  4. Jurgen Frenz

Jurgen Frenz Member R2R Supporter

@Humblefish I have had my magnificent Foxface in QT for 6 days now and he is eating well. However he has been very lethargic the last 2 days. He is in .41 ppm of Cupramine. He will swim around when I throw food or stick my hand in the tank. Anything I should be worried about?

image.png

IMG_0521.JPG

image.png

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  5. gammarho55

gammarho55 Member Build Thread Contributor

What's everyone's process for getting the fish out of the QT tank and into their DT? Was planning on drip acclimate even though my QT/DT each have the same temp/salinity, just to be safe, but then also having a secondary bucket of DT water to do a final rinse before dropping in the DT. Just trying to avoid getting any copper power in my DT. How does that sound? Thanks for any feedback.

6. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Don’t take him out before 30 days, or before 14 days therapeutic and a transfer to a completely new sterile qt that shared nothing with the first— not worth adding nasties!

To answer your question I match salinity and temp of two tanks and just toss them in.

7. mfollen

mfollen Well-Known Member

Do the (very helpful and amazing) QT experts and community recommend prophylactic FW dips before putting online fish into a QT for prophylactic quarantine? Is the same for Acroflavine dips?

I have some fish coming from Live Aquaria (angelfish, tang & clowns) and want to make sure I'm starting off my first QT right. They will be going in two 20 gallon longs.

Thank y ou!

8. Joseph Honaker

Joseph Honaker Member

Just got velvet from a purple tang from them. Came out of California facility. Please do the dip. I'm having to do them every other day now to save his life hopefully and he looks like **** currently. Now I'm freaking out about somehow cross contamination on my reef with my 4 BELOVED tangs I've had for 5 years together now. All because I was dumb and didn't dip before qt. Do it! Ide Also do something like safety stop 2 step 45 min dips. I'm doing it EVERY time now. Don't get me wrong I only order from live aquaria and have nothing bad to say about them, it happens. Did to me 2 weeks ago so I'm just warning you. Dip!

mfollen likes this.
  9. 427HISS

427HISS Valuable Member

How do you like it and how accurate is it ?

10. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Honestly, it is absolutely fantastic. I will never treat fish in copper again without it.

Smo, drstardust and dwest like this.
  11. drstardust

drstardust Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

This is exactly what I do, with great success thus far. I do recommend it.

mfollen likes this.
  12. rfischer

rfischer Member

+1

I'm on my fifth day of ramping up Copper Power and there's now way I'd be able to do it safely with the API kit I bought initially. The Hanna Copper checker is definitely worth the money.

Brew12 likes this.
  13. neilp2006

neilp2006 Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Agreed. Hanna checker is amazing

I do a three day ramp- from 1.00ppm, I do 6 doses of 0.125 ppm/dose, one morning, one night for three days. Seems to be well tolerated and saves a couple days in copper

Brew12 likes this.
  14. 427HISS

427HISS Valuable Member

I have a few from them and love the digital over color match, so I'll order the copper tester !
    Thanks guys.

Brew12 likes this.
  15. Joseph Honaker

Joseph Honaker Member

That's what I'm currently using to treat the infected purple tang from them. Hanna checker is AWESOME. Make sure you Only have pvc otherwise your ppm will jump around by things absorbing it....still have to check daily but makes it a breeze.!

16. Joseph Honaker

Joseph Honaker Member

I will say I got a powder blue a week later from their divers den.....I will never not go through their divers den. Night and day difference in health! And packaging ...

17. mfollen

When pre-dosing copper in a quarantine tank, is 1.25 ppm too high? I’m aiming for 1.00 ppm but slightly overdosed my first time.

Fish come first thing in the morning. Not sure if I need to dilute or not before they go in.

Thank you!!

18. neilp2006

10g tank?

Take 1.75 gallons out and replace it with new water without the copper. That’ll put you right at 1ppm (since a ‘full’ 10g is right around 9.25g...in my experience)

9.25 - 1.75 = 7.5g

Ratio:

(7.5/ 9.25) * 1.25ppm = 1.01 ppm

It would *probably* be ok, but since it’s an easy fix, you won’t be doubting it if something were to happen after they are in the tank , like appetite suppression.

For what it’s worth, my copper QT hits 1.25 ppm by the evening of the second day, since I do a 3 day ramp to 1.75. Ive been having good success with the 3 day ramp

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  19. mfollen

Thanks Neil!

neilp2006 likes this.
  20. neilp2006

No worries.

Draft saved Draft deleted