How to reduce Phosphate

Mohammad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I have 600 liters of aquarium and some corals (star polyps and zoanthides and mushrooms) and twelve fish (yellow, blue, dischardeny tanks, two dart fish, goby, one copper band butterfly, two perculas, one neon, two damsels) feeding them two times in a day for about a year and have problem with my phosphate level increasing insanely. I use 10 Milliliters of Vodka dosing with micro bacter 7 and bio fuel of brightwell , I have refregium a good skimmer , enough media and ...
I try everything you could imagine to reduce the phosphate level , I cut off flake food and rinse the other foods and water change they are all useless, also my nitrite and nitrate is zero. I use Hanna and salifert for testing.
At last I use the Phosphate E of brightwell and successfully reduced the Phosphate level to zero but when I stop using it Phosphate goes up insanely in seven days one ppm rises.
Please inform me how can I reduce my Phosphate level without using this product ? I want to add some corals to my aquarium

With many thanks from now to your guides

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People here will probably say I sound like a broken record, but an ATS worked for me.
After purchasing a 'good' testing kit I discovered my PO4 was somewhere above 3ppm, at least 100 x higher than recommended. After adding the ATS to the system they been zero ever since.

Infact, today I reduced 100ml of aquarium water to 25ml by boiling it, hoping to increase the concentration of phosphate to get a reading.
I managed to get a PO4 reading of 0.03ppm.

OP
OP
Mohammad

Mohammad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People here will probably say I sound like a broken record, but an ATS worked for me.
After purchasing a 'good' testing kit I discovered my PO4 was somewhere above 3ppm, at least 100 x higher than recommended. After adding the ATS to the system they been zero ever since.

Infact, today I reduced 100ml of aquarium water to 25ml by boiling it, hoping to increase the concentration of phosphate to get a reading.
I managed to get a PO4 reading of 0.03ppm.
Sorry but what is the ATS ? Could you explain a little more ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Hi
I had read it before and do most of them but could not reduce Phosphate without the Brightwell Phosphate E, I am searching for the reason of my increasing phosphate level

Increasing phosphate just means more coming in from food (or a lot of existing decaying tissue) than is being used.

Brightwell doesn't say what Phosphate E is, but they don't have a good record of chemical reliability, IMO, so I'd try a different product.

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the algae scrubber, they work almost too well in fact.
I had to cut mine way down because it quit growing and totally sucked my system dry of po4 and nitrate.
I have a couple frogspawn that hate it that way.
I finally got a feeding schedule and my screen size correct so the corals weren't starved of po4 and nitrate.
I originally built one because my tank was crazy out of control with hair algae and diatoms and I watched that wither away to nothing in about 1 month.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO Junkie over here :D
(Rowaphos :) JMO)
It's best to start at a very low dose and build up slowly so your reef does not go into shock.
Also I tumble it in it's on reactor to reap GFO's full benefit.
I still run at a lower dose and just replenish more often :)

OP
OP
Mohammad

Mohammad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increasing phosphate just means more coming in from food (or a lot of existing decaying tissue) than is being used.

Brightwell doesn't say what Phosphate E is, but they don't have a good record of chemical reliability, IMO, so I'd try a different product.
I used many products but they have no use for me, only Brightwell Phosphate E reduced it as it say, I am using it for two months, only my cleaner shrimp died not the crabs and the reason maybe something else all my corals are healthy and some are growing, but I am also afraid to use it too much because it is chemical in anyway. Could you please suggest something else ?

OP
OP
Mohammad

Mohammad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the algae scrubber, they work almost too well in fact.
I had to cut mine way down because it quit growing and totally sucked my system dry of po4 and nitrate.
I have a couple frogspawn that hate it that way.
I finally got a feeding schedule and my screen size correct so the corals weren't starved of po4 and nitrate.
I originally built one because my tank was crazy out of control with hair algae and diatoms and I watched that wither away to nothing in about 1 month.
Could you please send me some photos and how you build it to my e-mail address [email removed] ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used many products but they have no use for me, only Brightwell Phosphate E reduced it as it say, I am using it for two months, only my cleaner shrimp died not the crabs and the reason maybe something else all my corals are healthy and some are growing, but I am also afraid to use it too much because it is chemical in anyway. Could you please suggest something else ?

Why not GFO?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back