How to remove algae

Irisbliss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed the water, lost some coral and now I have this thick algae growth. How do I remove it?

20240222_143057.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to clean the live rock and use it again?
When folks rip clean their aquarium, the rocks are scrubbed clean with a brush. Some scrub with peroxide to kill any rhizomes that adhere to the surface. Search R2R for “rip cleaning” or contact @brandon429 for some hints.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would truly enjoy getting to work with this tank, it’s perfect for a deep cleaning method

@Irisbliss
Do what we did here, study this thread and run it in your tank

The before and after pics can be very very helpful I would use them for rip clean guides if you’ll truly apply what we did there and make a stark contrast set of before and after pics

Notice it’s all new water

Rocks cleaned externally, with a knife and peroxide all steps are listed and shown there above

Sand is power rinsed for hours until clean, all reassembled

100% eutrophic reef tank above. We can work on preventatives after the great after pics are had, from the clean condition.

ChrisPPolys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before a water change you can use tweezers like these to physically remove as much as possible. Once you siphon out water for the water change be sure to suck up as much free floating patches as possible. Between that and scrubbing the rock (still in the tank) with a tooth brush helps. Took a couple weeks to a month but that did the job for me.

Be sure to scrub/pluck out BEFORE siphoning.

The link didn’t work for some reason..? I use an old pair of 12” chefs tweezers.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some thinks you can do, scrub the inside of tank, use toothbrush on rocks, water change, change the filter and put some carbon in it, lower the lights, use a good UV with sponge filter, test all parameters and make sure everything is in range especially nitrates and phosphates, get a silicate test kit, add silicate remover, for this will starve it,, retest, add some hermit crabs and snails, this should clear it up within a week.

Rivus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removing, toothbrush, fingers, whatever, then siphon. Pin cushion urchins, Mexican turbo snails do a good job. No Vibrant! You don't have to ask how I know that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back