OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem in my DIY sump where skimmer microbubbles in water flowing over the low wall of the low/high bubble trap made it under the high wall. I solve the problem by adding a piece of porous foam at the opening at the bottom of the high wall bubble trap where the water enters the return chamber. If you have a powerhead in the return chamber, it will likely keep the microbubbles suspended long enough to get sucked into the return.
I know for a fact that my skimmer isn’t causing this issue because I’ve left it off for a week at the problem continued as if nothing happened.

Nevertheless. I’m closing my skimmer for another week and I’m closing the pump that was in my sump. Let’s see if anything improves.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read something about making a hole to break the siphon? Where do I make this hole?

While I do not want to stray from anyone helping you.... I would just drill a tiny hole in one of those locline fittings right where the locline meets the water. When the water level in the display starts to go down, the hole will break the siphon, and stop anymore from flowing down.

Checks valves aren't necessarily bad, It's just that people tend to not clean them, and they get plugged up with junk. So if you rely on it, it will fail when you least expect it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never said that. My system is balanced in that regard. My return pump isn’t even sucking air in. There is adequate water above the pump. Never vortex.
perhaps I misinterpreted. But - the bubbles have to be coming from somewhere - and IMO - the best place to start to fix the problem is stop them. And - I was under the impression that you said you have to keep the sump low or it will 'overflow'

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perhaps I misinterpreted. But - the bubbles have to be coming from somewhere - and IMO - the best place to start to fix the problem is stop them. And - I was under the impression that you said you have to keep the sump low or it will 'overflow'
Can I close my entire sump for a day and only have my powerheads running to prove it has nothing to do with my sump?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not want to stray from anyone helping you.... I would just drill a tiny hole in one of those locline fittings right where the locline meets the water. When the water level in the display starts to go down, the hole will break the siphon, and stop anymore from flowing down.

Checks valves aren't necessarily bad, It's just that people tend to not clean them, and they get plugged up with junk. So if you rely on it, it will fail when you least expect it.
image.jpg
Like here? Where my finger is touching?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I close my entire sump for a day and only have my powerheads running to prove it has nothing to do with my sump?
It seems to me that the bubbles (assuming they are there) have to be coming from your sump. My recommendation is still the same. I would troubleshoot your plumbing, etc. if you're not comfortable doing that - perhaps see if you can get a maintenance company to help out - and perhaps get some advice about better filtration.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that much locline out of the water, I wonder if the microbubbles aren't coming from one of those fittings(all thats above the water line) sucking air?

uninformed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that much locline out of the water, I wonder if the microbubbles aren't coming from one of those fittings(all thats above the water line) sucking air?
Reading this thread, that ‘was my thought: small leak somewhere and the flow is creating a Venturi and causing air to be sucked in.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This isn’t the leak I was referring to. It would shoot out like a stream when I positioned it a certain way. I couldn’t replicate it. But I have a question: If I make a hole to create a stop siphon, wouldn’t it also cause air to get sucked in?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This isn’t the leak I was referring to. It would shoot out like a stream when I positioned it a certain way. I couldn’t replicate it. But I have a question: If I make a hole to create a stop siphon, wouldn’t it also cause air to get sucked in?
No you do it just below the water line. Once it's below water, it will only suck water. I have 2 drilled in my overflow for that very purpose, and I do not have a microbubble issue.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Miami - I wish you the best of luck - I hope you figure out the problem - but - the constant changes and everything are going to lead you to do 1000 things - when only 1 thing is needed.

IMHO - Particles are not an 'emergency'. You have time to figure this out.

Second - get an expert in your area - that can look at your plumbing - and check it - I do not think the tubing beyond your return is causing a problem. If you think it is - replace it.

The issue here is that there are 10,000 different points where air can come in - and cause micro bubbles - and any of those can cause particles to remain suspended.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miami - I wish you the best of luck - I hope you figure out the problem - but - the constant changes and everything are going to lead you to do 1000 things - when only 1 thing is needed.

IMHO - Particles are not an 'emergency'. You have time to figure this out.

Second - get an expert in your area - that can look at your plumbing - and check it - I do not think the tubing beyond your return is causing a problem. If you think it is - replace it.

The issue here is that there are 10,000 different points where air can come in - and cause micro bubbles - and any of those can cause particles to remain suspended.

Best of luck!
But I didn’t even do anything! All I did was close the air pump in the sump. I didn’t raise the water level in the sump. I didn’t upgrade my return pump. I didn’t even do anything.

Im going to call an expert plumber to come in person. I know this fish maintenance company.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But I didn’t even do anything! All I did was close the air pump in the sump. I didn’t raise the water level in the sump. I didn’t upgrade my return pump. I didn’t even do anything.

Im going to call an expert plumber to come in person. I know this fish maintenance company.
Sorry I didn't mean that YOU had done anything - I meant - if you keep asking questions you're going to get 10,000 answers.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you guys won’t believe this.

I left my system off while I went to Home Depot to get some stuff. When I came back home I see microbubbles rising towards the surface. I see a crab touching the sand and it looks like it’s coming from that. Upon closer inspection there are microbubbles covering my entire sandbed!

Ummm. I have no words.
533C6A66-3E68-4A83-AB18-C4A226CB1BC0.jpeg
3E7D5ED7-C24A-4EAD-A83D-99CFD6D18F82.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you do it just below the water line. Once it's below water, it will only suck water. I have 2 drilled in my overflow for that very purpose, and I do not have a microbubble issue.
JUST making sure. I drill the hole right there, correct? One little hole will stop siphon?
image.jpg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update.

Microbubbles were never the issue. It was detritus the entire time.

I stirred the sandbed and do you know what came out? A million of those same tiny particles.

I think patience will be the only solution for my tank. As my tank matures a film of bacteria will coat the tank to make particles dense etc.

Last edited:
Back