How to safely remove mushroom from rock

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2022
Messages
1,857
Reaction score
4,130
Location
Middle TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning.

Was wondering what all methods does everyone use when getting a mushroom to release its grip off a rock?

I have some babies in my tank and dont want to disrupt the rockscape.

Thanks
 
Ice cube?

You need to make them want to leave
 
I tried myself. They would not let go lol. Can't imagine getting them off rocks. Mine started producing babies on a magnetic frag plug. I tried icecube, gentle lifting it off, strong current, higher light. I ended up burying it in the sand. They eventually got off it. Still getting babies from the frag plug since one refuses to leave. Was hoping it would jump ship or take a sting. Don't think it cares.

20250120_130628.jpg

20250120_130305.jpg

20250120_130258.jpg
 
I tried myself. They would not let go lol. Can't imagine getting them off rocks. Mine started producing babies on a magnetic frag plug. I tried icecube, gentle lifting it off, strong current, higher light. I ended up burying it in the sand. They eventually got off it. Still getting babies from the frag plug since one refuses to leave. Was hoping it would jump ship or take a sting. Don't think it cares.

20250120_130628.jpg

20250120_130305.jpg

20250120_130258.jpg
I wanted to remove a frag shelf but a nice shroom moved off a plug and onto the shelf. I have been wondering how to get it off so I can get rid of the shelf. I may try burying it lightly. That could work!
 
I'm going through this now. I can't believe how much they have spead through my tank. I take the rocks out that I can and scrape them off with a utility knife. This works well for me but some people have allergic reactions to them so you need to be careful. They do squirt at you when you cut into them.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new