How to sell a HUGE tank?

ff2807

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After recently hurting my back pretty badly after being bent over in my tank doing some maintenance I think I have realized that I might have gotten myself in to deep (get it, haha) with my current tank. After years of having saltwater nanos I decided it was time to buy a dream tank. I had plenty of cash, far too much enthusiasm, a ton of space for it… I had everything. Everything except plain old sense. I’m getting older. physical labor is becoming more difficult.

In 202 during the pandemic I finally made my purchase. I bought a Red Sea 750 xxl 200 gallon. I have all the gear one could wish for. Red Sea brand wave makers and 4 of the 90w lights, expensive pump, skimmer… the works. The tank cost me about $3800 and the lights $1600 etc etc.. I’m all in for about at least $10k. But I just don’t think I can do this anymore. It’s hard to accept but I think I might have to downgrade.l it kills me but it’s just too much for me.

It’s time for me to downgrade but I have zero idea even where to begin. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Now, I pumped a fortune into this tank but I’m no fool and I understand that I’m going to take a huge loss. Im wondering what a decent price would be? I was thinking maybe $2500 for the whole setup? I don’t know if that’s asking too much. A used tank is *used* and $2500 is a lot of money. would that be a reasonable price? Would I ever find a buyer? Should I just part it out and focus on selling it it piece by piece? I’m worried a buyer for the whole system will be hard to find.

My biggest question is how does one sell a gigantic tank? It’s absolutely enormous. I can’t imagine how anyone could even come pick it up. I’m thinking Craigslist is the best place to sell? I’m not experienced with all the social media selling places so I’m not sure how to use them… I figure the more places I list it the sooner I’ll find a buy.

is it worth it trying to work out how to find a freight company that could ship it for me so I could sell to someone else out of state… would that be worth it? I’m unsure how that would work. I just have a sinking feeling that an expensive tank that is too big for almost any vehicle is going to sit collecting dust for a very long time….

thanks for any help and advice!
You have tons of cash hire a company to take care of it sit back and enjoy a diet coke

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your location really makes a difference on the best way to sell. If you live in an area with a large hobbiest population, you’ll probably do pretty well selling on Facebook. If you live in a low population area, it would be much harder to find a buyer for the whole system. It also depends on which is more important to you: getting the most $ out of the system or time. You’ll get more in total parting it out, but it will take a lot more time. Parting out does give you more options like eBay, etc. for smaller items like pumps and lights as shipping becomes a more reasonable option.

ff2807

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After recently hurting my back pretty badly after being bent over in my tank doing some maintenance I think I have realized that I might have gotten myself in to deep (get it, haha) with my current tank. After years of having saltwater nanos I decided it was time to buy a dream tank. I had plenty of cash, far too much enthusiasm, a ton of space for it… I had everything. Everything except plain old sense. I’m getting older. physical labor is becoming more difficult.

In 202 during the pandemic I finally made my purchase. I bought a Red Sea 750 xxl 200 gallon. I have all the gear one could wish for. Red Sea brand wave makers and 4 of the 90w lights, expensive pump, skimmer… the works. The tank cost me about $3800 and the lights $1600 etc etc.. I’m all in for about at least $10k. But I just don’t think I can do this anymore. It’s hard to accept but I think I might have to downgrade.l it kills me but it’s just too much for me.

It’s time for me to downgrade but I have zero idea even where to begin. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Now, I pumped a fortune into this tank but I’m no fool and I understand that I’m going to take a huge loss. Im wondering what a decent price would be? I was thinking maybe $2500 for the whole setup? I don’t know if that’s asking too much. A used tank is *used* and $2500 is a lot of money. would that be a reasonable price? Would I ever find a buyer? Should I just part it out and focus on selling it it piece by piece? I’m worried a buyer for the whole system will be hard to find.

My biggest question is how does one sell a gigantic tank? It’s absolutely enormous. I can’t imagine how anyone could even come pick it up. I’m thinking Craigslist is the best place to sell? I’m not experienced with all the social media selling places so I’m not sure how to use them… I figure the more places I list it the sooner I’ll find a buy.

is it worth it trying to work out how to find a freight company that could ship it for me so I could sell to someone else out of state… would that be worth it? I’m unsure how that would work. I just have a sinking feeling that an expensive tank that is too big for almost any vehicle is going to sit collecting dust for a very long time….

You should hire a company to take care of it sit back and enjoy a diet coke

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How about some money and a system?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi, I would try Craig's list, your local club and Facebook. I would try local first. I sold all my tanks to local folks. I too broke down a bigger tank to downsize to a 56 gallon and it was a good decision for me. Like you, I am not as young as I used to be and I needed to make maintenance manageable. That was 6+ years ago and the tank I have now is my favorite(in terms of appearance and maintenance friendly) of the 4 tanks I have set up in my life.

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I would try Craig's list, your local club and Facebook. I would try local first. I sold all my tanks to local folks. I too broke down a bigger tank to downsize to a 56 gallon and it was a good decision for me. Like you, I am not as young as I used to be and I needed to make maintenance manageable. That was 6+ years ago and the tank I have now is my favorite(in terms of appearance and maintenance friendly) of the 4 tanks I have set up in my life.
yes im trying to do just that with OP.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you have considered selling, but have you reflected on true other options? If you are passionate about keeping a reef you can reflect on other options before tossing in the towel. What was the maintenance you had been doing?

If it was water changes you can get away from having to lift it. For old water siphon it into a brute and use a pump to pump it to the drain. If it is fresh water you can use a pump from your RODI to a brute or directly into the tank. If you move towards more robust corals like mushrooms and zoa's with dosing you can trend towards very low water changes.

If it was cleaning the gravel perhaps it is time to go bare bottom?

Fragging, or placing corals, or scraping algae? Turn the lights down to 15%, crank up the Refugium light and go FOWL or even a few mushrooms.

You already have the hardest part done. You have the equipment installed. If you really wish to keep on reefing, maybe you need a different kind of reef.

Good luck either way.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit I didn't read past the first post. If your back injury is serious enough you will no longer be able to care for the tank I understand selling it. If it's an injury that hurts like heck and has you down for a week or so I would keep it and be more careful when working on it. I screw my back up at least once a year sometimes more. The last time I was picking up a stick. The time before that an empty dog dish. Just throwing it out there ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back