How to sell a HUGE tank?

Starfishandseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After recently hurting my back pretty badly after being bent over in my tank doing some maintenance I think I have realized that I might have gotten myself in to deep (get it, haha) with my current tank. After years of having saltwater nanos I decided it was time to buy a dream tank. I had plenty of cash, far too much enthusiasm, a ton of space for it… I had everything. Everything except plain old sense. I’m getting older. physical labor is becoming more difficult.

In 202 during the pandemic I finally made my purchase. I bought a Red Sea 750 xxl 200 gallon. I have all the gear one could wish for. Red Sea brand wave makers and 4 of the 90w lights, expensive pump, skimmer… the works. The tank cost me about $3800 and the lights $1600 etc etc.. I’m all in for about at least $10k. But I just don’t think I can do this anymore. It’s hard to accept but I think I might have to downgrade.l it kills me but it’s just too much for me.

It’s time for me to downgrade but I have zero idea even where to begin. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Now, I pumped a fortune into this tank but I’m no fool and I understand that I’m going to take a huge loss. Im wondering what a decent price would be? I was thinking maybe $2500 for the whole setup? I don’t know if that’s asking too much. A used tank is *used* and $2500 is a lot of money. would that be a reasonable price? Would I ever find a buyer? Should I just part it out and focus on selling it it piece by piece? I’m worried a buyer for the whole system will be hard to find.

My biggest question is how does one sell a gigantic tank? It’s absolutely enormous. I can’t imagine how anyone could even come pick it up. I’m thinking Craigslist is the best place to sell? I’m not experienced with all the social media selling places so I’m not sure how to use them… I figure the more places I list it the sooner I’ll find a buy.

is it worth it trying to work out how to find a freight company that could ship it for me so I could sell to someone else out of state… would that be worth it? I’m unsure how that would work. I just have a sinking feeling that an expensive tank that is too big for almost any vehicle is going to sit collecting dust for a very long time….

thanks for any help and advice!

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would first list it as an entire setup on places like Craigslist....if it doesn't sell in a reasonable timeframe (whatever that is to you), then I would piece it out and sell whatever you can. Just figure out what your low number is......start with your 2500 and go from there.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear your thinking of selling it all as you clearly love the hobby, but there is some good advice already if you want to sell

I have 2 very large tanks, and you can automate pretty much everything so you dont need to lift water buckets or anything. And its very easy

You have a lot of gear already and simple auto water changes and pumps to refill ATOs can make all the difference and make the hobby so much easier

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After recently hurting my back pretty badly after being bent over in my tank doing some maintenance I think I have realized that I might have gotten myself in to deep (get it, haha) with my current tank. After years of having saltwater nanos I decided it was time to buy a dream tank. I had plenty of cash, far too much enthusiasm, a ton of space for it… I had everything. Everything except plain old sense. I’m getting older. physical labor is becoming more difficult.

In 202 during the pandemic I finally made my purchase. I bought a Red Sea 750 xxl 200 gallon. I have all the gear one could wish for. Red Sea brand wave makers and 4 of the 90w lights, expensive pump, skimmer… the works. The tank cost me about $3800 and the lights $1600 etc etc.. I’m all in for about at least $10k. But I just don’t think I can do this anymore. It’s hard to accept but I think I might have to downgrade.l it kills me but it’s just too much for me.

It’s time for me to downgrade but I have zero idea even where to begin. I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Now, I pumped a fortune into this tank but I’m no fool and I understand that I’m going to take a huge loss. Im wondering what a decent price would be? I was thinking maybe $2500 for the whole setup? I don’t know if that’s asking too much. A used tank is *used* and $2500 is a lot of money. would that be a reasonable price? Would I ever find a buyer? Should I just part it out and focus on selling it it piece by piece? I’m worried a buyer for the whole system will be hard to find.

My biggest question is how does one sell a gigantic tank? It’s absolutely enormous. I can’t imagine how anyone could even come pick it up. I’m thinking Craigslist is the best place to sell? I’m not experienced with all the social media selling places so I’m not sure how to use them… I figure the more places I list it the sooner I’ll find a buy.

is it worth it trying to work out how to find a freight company that could ship it for me so I could sell to someone else out of state… would that be worth it? I’m unsure how that would work. I just have a sinking feeling that an expensive tank that is too big for almost any vehicle is going to sit collecting dust for a very long time….

thanks for any help and advice!
I have sold my 360g, and larger and they were sold via Craigslist and local club classified. You could also ask LFS to make mention for you. The biggest hurdle for selling tanks of this size is for the potential buyer:
- Having room
- Having the money on hand for purchase
- Manpower and moving
- weight
- scheduling to get the tank picked up

I have used a freight company for my own tanks, but it is up to an out f state person to make their own arrangements and pat for freight,
The two best cost companies for freight are:
Uship
CH Robinson freightquote

This size tank is not too big for vehicle and is manageable with pickup truck and small uhaul. My tanks were 8 and 9 feet that I previously sold- That become a truck only transport

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seriously who uses Craigslist anymore lol? In my experience you should list it on this forum, Facebook, Mercari, or OfferUp! Know that you won’t make any money off what you spent on it. Most people want 50% off or more on used tank setups and that’s a good place to start.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Seriously who uses Craigslist anymore lol? In my experience you should list it on this forum, Facebook, Mercari, or OfferUp! Know that you won’t make any money off what you spent on it. Most people want 50% off or more on used tank setups and that’s a good place to start.
I just a few weeks ago sold my tank on craigslist. It was also on local reef club forum, R2R and FB.
I have also sold drop off tank and 50g cube on craigslist and my 660g was discovered on craigslist. Will depend what region you are in.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mercari and OfferUp aren't aquarium oriented. With that said, I've sold more on offer up than anything else including this forum. Facebook marketplace has become the ebay of the generation. If you get past the BS, craigslist is still a good source.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mercari and OfferUp aren't aquarium oriented. With that said, I've sold more on offer up than anything else including this forum. Facebook marketplace has become the ebay of the generation. If you get past the BS, craigslist is still a good source.
True and in my experience if you really want to sell a tank it will sell on here and Facebook before anything else.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that Oceanside California? I was stationed there for 3 years in the 80's. I seen Top Gun filmed there and that stupid Marine movie with Gunny Highway was filmed on base and I have an autographed picture from Clint Eastwood. I had a lot of fun out there and really was hoping to win mega millions so I could buy a mansion in S Cali overlooking the ocean lol.

reely989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that you feel the need to go smaller! Have you considered hiring some help just for the tough tasks for you? May or may not be a practical solution so you keep getting to enjoy your dream tank! Either way, I wish you luck in either selling or keeping it!

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can relate to your pain. Also getting older and the back isnt what it used to be. I see tons of tanks for sale on craigslist and FB

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You should be able to find a buyer in San Diego (I'm assuming the oceanside you are in is here). At least in southern California, we have a good amount of people that have ability for a tank that size. Ask the local shops, AquaSD, Aquatic Warehouse, Kung Fu Corals, or even LAX Aquarium in LA. I think LAX could help find a buyer since they do install and transportation for tanks.

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 and not young anymore. I use a 75' of hose to drain the water from the tank to the bathtub. I then pump from the mixing station in the garage to the tank. Makes life easy and saves my back. I don't really test my back on anything accept for moving the 5 gallon containers of salt from inside the house to the garage for mixing. Hopefully you exhaust options before taking the loss. Good Luck!

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to sell the whole thing as a package and eventually start selling off gear if you're having no luck.

Sadly you're correct with taking a huge loss, everyone wants something for nothing and you will probably get a lot of time wasted with lowball and unserious offers. If you're not in a rush you will eventually find the right buyer who is searching for that exact tank and likes all the equipment you have for it... If you are in a rush to sell, parting out will make things way easier, lights, skimmers, powerheads, heaters, and everything like that will usually sell very quick. Unfortunately, used tanks are still super hard to sell most times and you may still sit on it for a while.

I would try to get in touch with some local reef clubs, your LFS is they're cool with posting something about it in their shop and go about it that way, also posting in the for sale forum on here will yield more serious buyers than facebook and craigslist (at least in my experience)

Best of luck!!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so say you sell it. Is that the answer? Or are your processes "little tank" processes? Maybe big-tank folks have some better processes that are easier on the back. What are you having trouble with? I mean, besides not being 19 anymore. Siphons and pumps have become my best friends along with long handles, especially since I neglected my tank once set up and nutrients went wild and I've been manually scrubbing my rock. It was every few days, then weekly, and now I'm at like 3 weeks between scrubbings and there's much less GHA than before. I just don't have the budget to drop a clean up crew bomb that would end up oversized once the nutrients are fixed.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back