How To Set Up A Skimmer Over Flow Switch ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the slow,...process of building a 125g reef, so how can I set up a system to keep my skimmer from overflowing, from feeding, adding carbon, cleaning the DT, sump,... etc ?

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, I am also curious. I was planning to drill a hole in the top of my lid and install a float switch. But a magnetic optical sensor seems potentially better.

I worry about the additional logic of this device (needing to be unplugged while reconnected, delay starting back up, etc). I also wonder how dirty it will get generally and if it may trip early.

Anyone used one of these smart skimmer security things?

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will use the Davey Jones skimmate locker instead. It provides a switch to protect overflow, while adding capacity. Seems overall more useful.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about using an optical switch in a fouling environment. I’ve had issues with the apex optical switches in applications where stuff can build up on them. Mechanical float switches may be vulnerable to sludge buildup as well. My personal choice for a skimmer would be something like the avast pressure switch. You could easily DIY a container and just buy the standalone switch.

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked for just the switch, but could not find anything like it. If anyone has ideas on the right search terms I would appreciate it.

wiselyy73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get one that has the drain hose and drain to a container. Put a float sensor in the container to shut off the skimmer when full

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked for just the switch, but could not find anything like it. If anyone has ideas on the right search terms I would appreciate it.

Go to the avast website and put pressure switch into the search bar - Something like $65 if memory serves.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about using an optical switch in a fouling environment. I’ve had issues with the apex optical switches in applications where stuff can build up on them. Mechanical float switches may be vulnerable to sludge buildup as well. My personal choice for a skimmer would be something like the avast pressure switch. You could easily DIY a container and just buy the standalone switch.
I’ve used a similar pressure switch for my ATO in my sump for 20 plus years without fail. I also have one in my skimmate locker that I hook up when leave for vacations.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that’s the ATO. Just search for pressure switch.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reef octopus one if you are interested. Its never been used. It has float switch and your skmmer plugs into the controller.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back