How to setup a backup/redundant return pump in AIO tank with hydros launch controller?

The Warelock

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2025
Messages
308
Reaction score
226
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have an IM 25 gallon lagoon tank. I currently have the ~300gph mightyjet return pump running it. I ordered a hydros launch controller to help me safeguard this tank.

Can anyone help me understand what return pumps are compatible with hydros launch control? Also, how can I add a second return pump to run as a backup/redundancy in case the first pump fails? Is this something easily done with the hydros launch? Is there a certain brand of pumps I need to use for compatibility, or any other special hardware needed? The AIO return chamber is not very big and my tank is LPS and mushrooms only, so I think a smaller pump would be fine?

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and has any thoughts/suggestions/answers!
 
Bump? Maybe I posted in wrong forum? Is there a hydros specific area on this site?
 
Hello, I have an IM 25 gallon lagoon tank. I currently have the ~300gph mightyjet return pump running it. I ordered a hydros launch controller to help me safeguard this tank.

Can anyone help me understand what return pumps are compatible with hydros launch control? Also, how can I add a second return pump to run as a backup/redundancy in case the first pump fails? Is this something easily done with the hydros launch? Is there a certain brand of pumps I need to use for compatibility, or any other special hardware needed? The AIO return chamber is not very big and my tank is LPS and mushrooms only, so I think a smaller pump would be fine?

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and has any thoughts/suggestions/answers!
Correct me if I’m wrong anyone but I believe you can buy this and rewire the plug of your pump to a hydros drive port. I’m not very familiar with any of it but I heard someone say they did this. Sorry I’m not much help!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5847.png
    IMG_5847.png
    179 KB · Views: 45
Personally given it’s an AIO and the “sump” water is roughing the backside of the glass the tank water is touching, I wouldn’t bother with the effort of a redundant pump, just have one on hand to swap. The tank shouldn’t go too cold if a pump fails due to the contact area of the tank water and sump water, the heater should still keep it warm though maybe not as warm.

I would instead invest in something like a sicce 1.5 or 2.0 and have a second pump in the box ready if it’s needed. Clean your pump every 6 months and you’ll be fine.

I’ve had two pump failures in 14 years reefing, neither caused me any headaches other than swapping them out. One was my transfer pump, it died after getting dropped.
 
Hello, I have an IM 25 gallon lagoon tank. I currently have the ~300gph mightyjet return pump running it. I ordered a hydros launch controller to help me safeguard this tank.

Can anyone help me understand what return pumps are compatible with hydros launch control? Also, how can I add a second return pump to run as a backup/redundancy in case the first pump fails? Is this something easily done with the hydros launch? Is there a certain brand of pumps I need to use for compatibility, or any other special hardware needed? The AIO return chamber is not very big and my tank is LPS and mushrooms only, so I think a smaller pump would be fine?

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and has any thoughts/suggestions/answers!
I wouldn't be concerned about the return pump in an AIO as much as I would be about maintaining flow in the tank with surface agitation. You'll be better served with a wave maker and a backup power supply to keep it running in case there is a power outage. You could also use an Inkbird heater controller for your heater while using the Luanch with temp probe to make sure the Inkbird doesn't fail.
 
Correct me if I’m wrong anyone but I believe you can buy this and rewire the plug of your pump to a hydros drive port. I’m not very familiar with any of it but I heard someone say they did this. Sorry I’m not much help!
Drive ports are made for lower current 12V devices. The launch supports 1.5A per drive port and a total of 3A for all drive ports. You'll have a hard time finding a return pump that runs under 18W and not really the purpose for these ports.
 
Drive ports are made for lower current 12V devices. The launch supports 1.5A per drive port and a total of 3A for all drive ports. You'll have a hard time finding a return pump that runs under 18W and not really the purpose for these ports.
Thank you! I wasn’t totally sure.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new