How to silence the gurgling sound

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do I silence the gurgling sound coming from my built in overflow on my 180. It is a durso style drain. Any suggestions. really irritating. Also How do you all shut off your pumps to feed without creating a suction.

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the gurgling sounds sort of like a flushing toilet and the water level in your overflow drops just before you hear it you need to increase the size of the vent hole.

The only way I've been able to deal with the siphon created when turning off the pumps is, make sure I had enough room in my sump for the water it siphons. Keep the outlet close to the surface so only a small amount goes into the sump before the siphon breaks. I think some use check valves but I don't like them for this application.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can place an air hose in the hole at the top of the drain. Just a small one. It will help silence the noise. Also, make sure you have enough water in your system. Is your sump filled with enough water? Sometimes having angles in your drain pipe, 45deg, etc.. will help to reduce some of the noise as well.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a ball valve on the drain and have it syphon. Bean animal overflow iirc. But will require modifications to your existing plumbing. You can drill a hole pointing downwards where the water exists. Make sure its points down so when the pumps on it will shoot water down not up! When the pump is off it will suck in air. Or install a check valve.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I silence the gurgling sound coming from my built in overflow on my 180. It is a durso style drain. Any suggestions. really irritating. Also How do you all shut off your pumps to feed without creating a suction.
I'm worried about this.

You should be able to kill the power to your pumps (and entire system for that matter) without creating floods. the tank should just drain to some level then stop. With no flooding in the sump.

Normal operation should also return when the power comes back on.

Finally, should the drain fail (HOB syphon break or actual blockage for durso setups) the sump should run out of water before the upper container floods.

IMHO those adjustments are mandatory for any external sump operation.

Back to your question, if the syphon is from your return lines then you need:

1) small holes above the water line to allow air to break the syphon or
2) have the outlets from the return lines above the water like to break up the syphon.

For the gurgling sound try (if possible) to remove the top of the durso to see if the gurgling stops. If so then try an air line or hole with the top on to see if the sound is muted or eliminated.

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found if my pipe from the durso is to far under water it gurgles 0.5 an inch is enough, anymore and the gurgling starts, blown if I understand why so when I upgraded I went with Oceanlife outlets and done away with the bulky durso pipes but I also fitted a weir box over th Oceanlife outlets to lift the water level to an inch of the tank rim.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google Herbie drain

BeAnAnimal is an excellent, safe way to achieve a silent overflow... note that's what I'm using... but a Herbie can be safe, if it's designed right, and is generally easier to to convert a factory overflow system to Herbie than to BeAnAnimal... no need to drill holes. My old cube had a Herbie, worked great. A gate valve and a bit of PVC is all it takes.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.2%
Back