How to spot target bubble algae on sps?

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a patch of bubble algae that has slowly grown in the middle of my birds nest over the course of the last few weeks/ month now. Anyone have any good methods of spot targeting this? I typically go for the more natural route with anything but I'm not sure which predator could get in there and clean it up effectively. Maybe Emerald crab? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a small hose on a perspex rod attached with zip ties. start the syphon then scrap suck the bubble off...on the rod yo can get into tight spaces. i also shine a torch and i can see the bubbles clearer with the reflection off them

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I'm dealing with

Attachments

• 20221117_203923.jpg
    20221117_203923.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20221117_203937.jpg
    20221117_203937.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 46

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tweezers, wooden skewer, or a similar tool/item to pry the algae off the coral and/or "pop" them.
If you pop them, it won't cause the algae to spread, but since you'll likely end up leaving part of the algae tissue in place, it can regrow from there.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tweezers, wooden skewer, or a similar tool/item to pry the algae off the coral and/or "pop" them.
If you pop them, it won't cause the algae to spread, but since you'll likely end up leaving part of the algae tissue in place, it can regrow from there.

Does bubble algae not spread when popped? Just because I actually also deal with this stuff..

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does bubble algae not spread when popped? Just because I actually also deal with this stuff..
Not the way people think. It can grow back from pieces of tissue; so unless the popped cells detach from where they are anchored, if it grows back, it will be in the same place.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm ok. I always thought bubble algae would spread if popped as well. Foxfire Def not on the list lol. I might try a few emerald crabs soon because I do have it popping up in a few other places as well so I need something to keep it under control for the future. So just popping them and or scraping them off might be the only reasonable way to deal with it?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm ok. I always thought bubble algae would spread if popped as well. Foxfire Def not on the list lol. I might try a few emerald crabs soon because I do have it popping up in a few other places as well so I need something to keep it under control for the future. So just popping them and or scraping them off might be the only reasonable way to deal with it?
Manual removal is the first step. Even if you introduce predators, the less they have to deal with the better. (If you get emerald or pitho crabs, try to buy females... there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that they are more reliable at tackling bubble algae than the males)

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal is the first step. Even if you introduce predators, the less they have to deal with the better. (If you get emerald or pitho crabs, try to buy females... there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that they are more reliable at tackling bubble algae than the males)

I wonder how you would tell male from female?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Vibrant.
Removed 100% in 16 weeks.
If it’s there, it’s likely somewhere else.

Only lost some coralline algae at the same time, no idea if there’s any connection, but has returned over a few months.

And zero bubble algae with touching anything.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea it's in other places but I don't mind as long as it is kept in control. Really just want it off my sps. Cuc should be able to take of it elsewhere

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is what I'm dealing with
Known as valonia it sure is.
Take a small needle and have 3/8 tubing ready and attach to end of tubing with rubber band and pop each one and siphon at same time- You will have removed all spores and foreign material in area.
Had to do this in the past with birdsnest coral and was gone 100%.
Other option is to add pitho crabs or emerald crabs (which I do not trust) which will eat them

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea it's in other places but I don't mind as long as it is kept in control. Really just want it off my sps. Cuc should be able to take of it elsewhere
It will forever multiply destabilizing phosphate availability.
I’d remove all of it, it’s a pest.

You look like you have some nice stuff, that’s a risk.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Emerald crabs. They love the stuff. And they will eat other nuisance algae too so you don’t have to worry about them starving once all the bubble algae is gone.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Uncle99 Thank you friend. I do need to get a handle on it you are correct. I do not mind a bit as long as it is under control by natural predation. Hopefully a few emerald crabs will wipe it out or keep it under control. As long as my hawkfish plays nice

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 103 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back