How to stop/remove these Feather Dusters or are they something else?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i have a significant outbreak of what I believe are Feather Dusters. How Can I remove these? They are literally taking over my tank.

Any advice is much appreciated and Happy Holidays to all!
IMG_9756.jpg
IMG_9757.jpg

R0L0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i have a significant outbreak of what I believe are Feather Dusters. How Can I remove these? They are literally taking over my tank.

Could we get some pictures so we can make sure they are feather dusters

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d start with trying to remove any small rocks that don’t have coral attached to it, pull it out and remove all manually. I have no clue to be honest thought. I was thinking the issue was most likely not feather dusters and was going to be some other organism etc

Fatrip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some wrasses and crabs eat feather dusters if you want to go the way of natural removal, but they also tend to prey on your cleanup crew as well.

If not natural option, best bet I have found is to put a dab of super glue gel over their opening, this prevents them from getting out and eventually kills them. Granted you will have a bunch of white dots around your rocks until coralline algae grows over the super glue.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

IMG_9756.jpg
IMG_9757.jpg
Bumblebee Snails will take care of that

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the substantial reproduction because of how much I feed the tank?
I bought a piece of LR from my LFS that had a bunch on it. I like the but I had a boat load. I introduced bumblebee snails and they definitely take care of them. I moved the bumblebee snails to another tank so they wouldn’t wipe them all out. If population gets High I’ll drop the bumblebee snails back into that tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No bumble bee snails and not feather dusters but rather tube worms which use their fans to capture food. Simple direct water flow towrds them - NOT at them and they will starve OR you can Carefully place a dab of gel super glue fromn the dollar store on each fan and again they will starve and vanish

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W
No bumble bee snails and not feather dusters but rather tube worms which use their fans to capture food. Simple direct water flow towrds them - NOT at them and they will starve OR you can Carefully place a dab of gel super glue fromn the dollar store on each fan and again they will starve and vanish
Why no bumblebee snails? Great to have IMO.
74E07138-C8D6-4A36-A1F9-CACB6BA46182.jpeg

Going to work as I type

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather dusters and tube worms are essentially the same thing, they’re all in the order Sabellida, they’re just different sizes and construct their tubes out of different materials. They’re both Polychaete worms that have similar body shapes and that eat and collect food in the same way. It just seems like a weird hair to split.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather dusters and tube worms are essentially the same thing, they’re all in the order Sabellida, they’re just different sizes and construct their tubes out of different materials. They’re both Polychaete worms that have similar body shapes and that eat and collect food in the same way. It just seems like a weird hair to split.
I like diversity in my tanks and they are a good CUC in a way. Always filtering the water column.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back