How to successfully keep SPS Corals!

Discussion in 'General SPS Discussion' started by revhtree, Oct 3, 2011.

1. mcarroll

mcarroll Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Leave em unless you don't want to. ;)

13/18 is covering >70% of the surface. That little bit of shady area at the top of the tank is usually a worthy trade-off for having good intensity at the bottom.

That said, if you have the capacity to turn it up, then you could raise the light as high as 15"-18" without spilling light over the edges.

And just for completeness, you could go with the 120º lenses (not quite the same as removing the lenses in all cases....they make 120º secondary lenses that might be useful depending on your fixture....ask the mfgr) and drop the fixture to about 5" off the water and get comparable coverage at the top to what you'd get at 18" with the 90º lenses.

2. kennedpa

kennedpa Well-Known Member

A) blast something or an area of rock work inadvertently - somehow my brain took that as inadvertently knocking things over.

3. KJoFan

KJoFan Well-Known Member Partner Member 2018

I wondered if that was the part that got you thinking that. :) No, nothing gets dislodged, I just don't want to blast them more than they should be, though I'm thinking I'm underestimating their love of flow. The 6095's have pretty wide flow, I don't think any will get the flesh ripped off them unless they'd be practically touching the grate of the powerhead.

Did I mention that I'm seeing some tiny bit of PE on some pieces I haven't seen in...a long time? And that some are starting to color up (well to green from brown anyway) from the base? I think these are good signs.

4. kennedpa

kennedpa Well-Known Member

Those are awesome signs!!!! Good to hear my friend. I'll send you a video of the flows I have for comparison.

5. bif24701

bif24701 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I would like to join discussion.\

My systems is a 180 gallon display with 300 total gallons. SPS dominated, I set up this system in Aug 2016 and starting in Dec 2016 started to hit its stride. For the last 9 months things have been very stable and I have started collecting high end and some common acros.

Equipment:
    2x Kessil AP700
    2 bulb T5 retro fit, 60", AIT Blue Plus x2
    RO Varios-6 return pump, Fully controlled Via APEX
    SRO-5000 INT skimmer w/Avast Swabbie neck cleaner, also have skimmate collector bucket with switch that shuts off skimmer if there is an overflow
    Vortech MP60 + 2x Tunze 6105 This gives me 80x display volume in flow. I like a lot of flow. All controlled via APEX
    APEX Classic: 3x EB8, PMK, PM2, WXM
    40 gallon Refugium with cheato, 132watt LED grow light,
    100 gallon main sump
    DIY 2 day battery back up system for MP60, tested several times and has kept my reef alive with 0 deaths

Parameters:
    10-11 dKH/ALK
    430-440 Calcium
    Mag 1350-1450
    NO3 5-10ppm
    PO4 .05-.08

Additives:
    KALK
    some vinegar
    Iron for cheato, that's all

I love SPS and Acros especially.
    Here is a little video, play in HD.

6. refridgeRAIDER

refridgeRAIDER Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Ohhh the eye candy in this thread

7. Parsec

Parsec Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Aquarium size: 300 gal display- 20 gal frag tank 100 gallon sump- 60 gallon refugium actual volume used
    All live rock and about 2 inches of live sand.

Parameter levels:
    Ca - 420ppm
    Alk - 7.8
    pH - 8.1-8.3
    Mg - 1350
    Salinity - 1.026 (Refractometer)

Lighting: HydraHD 20k temp 100%
    Schedule:
    Sunrise - 7AM increases until noon - Begins to decrease at 7pm and moon light begins at 1100pm

Water Changes: In 10 months running this tank only two water changes have been done, however we supplement heavily daily.

Controller: Apex

Dosing:
    20g scoop reef builder( Seachem) Daily
    40 g Red Sea Foundation ABC Plus Daily
    AquaVitro Vibrance Twice a week 7ml
    Aqual Vitro Fuel Twice a week 20 ml

Skimmer:
    AquaMax

Food: Fish are fed a variety twice a day, corals are fed once a week. Rod's Food, Various types of algae for tangs, OysterFeast, PE Mysis

Misc: Sump is filled with 100 lbs of live rock, crabs and a ton of Copepods, the refugium has a grow light on it an is filled with cheato and

dragon.jpg

birdsnest.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

mcarroll likes this.
  8. Grey Guy

Grey Guy Well-Known Member

9. Grey Guy

Grey Guy Well-Known Member

You Have probably the most awesome SPS tank for its size, in the world. Would you like to be my mentor?

10. lars

lars Well-Known Member

I sure appreciate the compliment and would love to answer any questions you may have. I should tell you though that ive since sold that system and upgraded to a 6'x2'x22" system. Changed a few things like added a calcium reactor but still use t5's and have mostly sps.

awais98 and Kinggeorge818 like this.
  11. lars

lars Well-Known Member

Double post

12. Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]

Your sump is probably filling with sponges and other bacteria and slime eating organisms. I have a refugium with chaeto, mud, and rock but I much rather have them separated as they require completely different conditions. I feel hobbyist who use these methods just have overall better health, color and long term success.

13. SPS Junky

SPS Junky Well-Known Member

Awesome shots of your beautiful corals my friends! Just getting back into reefing after a brief reprieve but have been in the hobby for about 26 years now. Doing an SPS dominant mixed reef with a custom 90G rimless. Just started dosing two-part and numbers are steady now so I'm happy about that and seeing decent growth on most of my SPS with some still trying to catch up. Thanks for the good info and gorgeous pics. I realize this thread is old but most of this information is timeless! Kudos to your success! Hope to see continued success as my reef develops.

lars and mcarroll like this.
  14. Lninwa

Lninwa Well-Known Member

SPS looking better. I bought a nice looking sps from my LFS about 8 was ago. Similar to a bonsai but lighter pale green with tiny yellow-green polyps. As with all my sps it turned brown and started receding slightly. My icp-test showed a deficiency in iodine and potassium. To a lesser extent the bromine, strontium and a few other elements. The cost of the Triton elements were too expensive so I decided to go with the Red Sea Coral Colors program. Well, I'm very happy to report after only 4 days I started seeing polyp extension on about a third of the coral. I'll send a photo soon.

15. awais98

awais98 Well-Known Member

How is it doing now after a week? All corals opened up?
    Pic yet?

16. David osborne

David osborne Active Member

Did you put your phone under water then ?

Draft saved Draft deleted