How to successfully keep SPS Corals!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The set up is simple. Photon 48 (version 1, 90 degree optics) sits about 13" over the water surface on top of my canopy. The distance to the rocks, I am unsure about, but its well over 24". It's probably close to 40" to the bottom of the tank.

It might help to know that 90º lenses create a spread that's equal to their height.

So 13" off the water equals 13" of spread at the water surface. If it's 40", then there's a 40" spread. (Consider the tank walls as mirrors to get an idea of what happens to the "extra" width. :)

For an example, here's a diagram I did of Kessils where you can see the effects from the reflection (only roughly accurate):
48x24_1.png

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might help to know that 90º lenses create a spread that's equal to their height.

So 13" off the water equals 13" of spread at the water surface. If it's 40", then there's a 40" spread. (Consider the tank walls as mirrors to get an idea of what happens to the "extra" width. :)

For an example, here's a diagram I did of Kessils where you can see the effects from the reflection (only roughly accurate):
48x24_1.png

So with my tank being 18" wide, I am only getting 13" of spread front to back?

In laymen terms? Do I leave the 90's on or take them off for 120 degree? If the 90's will work, I will leave them on, because last thing I want is to create extra work :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave em unless you don't want to. ;)

13/18 is covering >70% of the surface. That little bit of shady area at the top of the tank is usually a worthy trade-off for having good intensity at the bottom.

That said, if you have the capacity to turn it up, then you could raise the light as high as 15"-18" without spilling light over the edges.

And just for completeness, you could go with the 120º lenses (not quite the same as removing the lenses in all cases....they make 120º secondary lenses that might be useful depending on your fixture....ask the mfgr) and drop the fixture to about 5" off the water and get comparable coverage at the top to what you'd get at 18" with the 90º lenses.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not having an issue with frags coming off the rock when mounted...I'm not sure what gave you that idea? o_O

I am keeping the pumps several inches down and aiming them somewhat toward the surface, but I also want to be mindful of making sure the surface gets to flow toward the overflow for adequate surface skimming. It'll get there, just takes fine tuning until I'm happy with it. Or maybe I just insist on tinkering with placement. :)

As for lux meter, this is the one: https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Meter-LX1...500902832&sr=8-3&keywords=dr.+meter+lux+meter
A) blast something or an area of rock work inadvertently - somehow my brain took that as inadvertently knocking things over.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A) blast something or an area of rock work inadvertently - somehow my brain took that as inadvertently knocking things over.

I wondered if that was the part that got you thinking that. :) No, nothing gets dislodged, I just don't want to blast them more than they should be, though I'm thinking I'm underestimating their love of flow. The 6095's have pretty wide flow, I don't think any will get the flesh ripped off them unless they'd be practically touching the grate of the powerhead.

Did I mention that I'm seeing some tiny bit of PE on some pieces I haven't seen in...a long time? And that some are starting to color up (well to green from brown anyway) from the base? I think these are good signs.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered if that was the part that got you thinking that. :) No, nothing gets dislodged, I just don't want to blast them more than they should be, though I'm thinking I'm underestimating their love of flow. The 6095's have pretty wide flow, I don't think any will get the flesh ripped off them unless they'd be practically touching the grate of the powerhead.

Did I mention that I'm seeing some tiny bit of PE on some pieces I haven't seen in...a long time? And that some are starting to color up (well to green from brown anyway) from the base? I think these are good signs.
Those are awesome signs!!!! Good to hear my friend. I'll send you a video of the flows I have for comparison.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to join discussion.\

My systems is a 180 gallon display with 300 total gallons. SPS dominated, I set up this system in Aug 2016 and starting in Dec 2016 started to hit its stride. For the last 9 months things have been very stable and I have started collecting high end and some common acros.

Equipment:
2x Kessil AP700
2 bulb T5 retro fit, 60", AIT Blue Plus x2
RO Varios-6 return pump, Fully controlled Via APEX
SRO-5000 INT skimmer w/Avast Swabbie neck cleaner, also have skimmate collector bucket with switch that shuts off skimmer if there is an overflow
Vortech MP60 + 2x Tunze 6105 This gives me 80x display volume in flow. I like a lot of flow. All controlled via APEX
APEX Classic: 3x EB8, PMK, PM2, WXM
40 gallon Refugium with cheato, 132watt LED grow light,
100 gallon main sump
DIY 2 day battery back up system for MP60, tested several times and has kept my reef alive with 0 deaths

Parameters:
10-11 dKH/ALK
430-440 Calcium
Mag 1350-1450
NO3 5-10ppm
PO4 .05-.08

Additives:
KALK
some vinegar
Iron for cheato, that's all

I love SPS and Acros especially.
Here is a little video, play in HD.

Parsec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium size: 300 gal display- 20 gal frag tank 100 gallon sump- 60 gallon refugium actual volume used
All live rock and about 2 inches of live sand.

Parameter levels:
Ca - 420ppm
Alk - 7.8
pH - 8.1-8.3
Mg - 1350
Salinity - 1.026 (Refractometer)

Lighting: HydraHD 20k temp 100%
Schedule:
Sunrise - 7AM increases until noon - Begins to decrease at 7pm and moon light begins at 1100pm

Water Changes: In 10 months running this tank only two water changes have been done, however we supplement heavily daily.

Controller: Apex

Dosing:
20g scoop reef builder( Seachem) Daily
40 g Red Sea Foundation ABC Plus Daily
AquaVitro Vibrance Twice a week 7ml
Aqual Vitro Fuel Twice a week 20 ml

Skimmer:
AquaMax

Food: Fish are fed a variety twice a day, corals are fed once a week. Rod's Food, Various types of algae for tangs, OysterFeast, PE Mysis

Misc: Sump is filled with 100 lbs of live rock, crabs and a ton of Copepods, the refugium has a grow light on it an is filled with cheato and

dragon.jpg

birdsnest.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't post much, but here goes.

tank- 120 oceanic, lights- tek t-5 5 blue+, 2 pink+ and one aqua blue special.
add kalk through the ato for calcium, alk and ph control. also a luft pump for 3 minutes every couple of hours after the lights go out.
eco mag. twice a week.
10% water change every 3 months or so.( i know, but it works)
tank is a little over 5 years old. there is another 30 gal lps cube plumbed to it.
also have a nice size mangrove in the sump.pro clear protein skimmer. no vortechs. can't bring myself to spend the money.
i think thats it, but if you have any other questions just ask. thanks
r2r4.jpg
r2r3.jpg
r2r2.jpg
newtank.jpg

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Have probably the most awesome SPS tank for its size, in the world. Would you like to be my mentor?

lars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You Have probably the most awesome SPS tank for its size, in the world. Would you like to be my mentor?
I sure appreciate the compliment and would love to answer any questions you may have. I should tell you though that ive since sold that system and upgraded to a 6'x2'x22" system. Changed a few things like added a calcium reactor but still use t5's and have mostly sps.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
right.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Your sump is probably filling with sponges and other bacteria and slime eating organisms. I have a refugium with chaeto, mud, and rock but I much rather have them separated as they require completely different conditions. I feel hobbyist who use these methods just have overall better health, color and long term success.

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome shots of your beautiful corals my friends! Just getting back into reefing after a brief reprieve but have been in the hobby for about 26 years now. Doing an SPS dominant mixed reef with a custom 90G rimless. Just started dosing two-part and numbers are steady now so I'm happy about that and seeing decent growth on most of my SPS with some still trying to catch up. Thanks for the good info and gorgeous pics. I realize this thread is old but most of this information is timeless! Kudos to your success! Hope to see continued success as my reef develops.

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS looking better. I bought a nice looking sps from my LFS about 8 was ago. Similar to a bonsai but lighter pale green with tiny yellow-green polyps. As with all my sps it turned brown and started receding slightly. My icp-test showed a deficiency in iodine and potassium. To a lesser extent the bromine, strontium and a few other elements. The cost of the Triton elements were too expensive so I decided to go with the Red Sea Coral Colors program. Well, I'm very happy to report after only 4 days I started seeing polyp extension on about a third of the coral. I'll send a photo soon.

awais98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS looking better. I bought a nice looking sps from my LFS about 8 was ago. Similar to a bonsai but lighter pale green with tiny yellow-green polyps. As with all my sps it turned brown and started receding slightly. My icp-test showed a deficiency in iodine and potassium. To a lesser extent the bromine, strontium and a few other elements. The cost of the Triton elements were too expensive so I decided to go with the Red Sea Coral Colors program. Well, I'm very happy to report after only 4 days I started seeing polyp extension on about a third of the coral. I'll send a photo soon.

How is it doing now after a week? All corals opened up?
Pic yet?

jorahx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I have been trying to grow sps in my tank with not to much success.

I have a few pieces of birds nest that grows fine and seems to be happy, except for the piece I put to high in the tank and burnt its tips.

But I got some no name sps from lfs and they haven't opened up polyps or even acted alive. Suggestions??

It's a 20g innovative marine tank
Parameters are all with in Randy's suggestion. I have lots of other softie corals that thrive but he sps not so much.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I have been trying to grow sps in my tank with not to much success.

I have a few pieces of birds nest that grows fine and seems to be happy, except for the piece I put to high in the tank and burnt its tips.

But I got some no name sps from lfs and they haven't opened up polyps or even acted alive. Suggestions??

It's a 20g innovative marine tank
Parameters are all with in Randy's suggestion. I have lots of other softie corals that thrive but he sps not so much.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Mixed tanks are tricky. I have a full mixed tank and some sps are great and others don’t so much no matter what. If you really want to grow them I would either remove the softies or get a huge sump. Just from trying myself, Good luck!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back