How to wood stain

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost at the point of staining my stand and I just want to make sure the process of doing that is correct.

So what I've read is that you should sand the whole thing with the grain with 120 grit then finish off with 220 grit. Once you do that, you dust it off so that it makes a cleaner surface.

I'm using whitewood (which I believe to be pine?). I think plan on using a wood conditioner to open up the pores on the wood, then staining, then finishing.

One think I'm not sure of is the finishing part. I want to use something that can withstand humidity and any possible water that may run on to it from the tank. I saw that they make something called spar urethane that protects from that type of stuff. Would that be alright to use or is there something that might be better?
Also what's the difference between applying stain with a cloth and applying with a brush?

Let me know if there's any part that I have wrong also.

Brad Shook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost at the point of staining my stand and I just want to make sure the process of doing that is correct.

So what I've read is that you should sand the whole thing with the grain with 120 grit then finish off with 220 grit. Once you do that, you dust it off so that it makes a cleaner surface.

I'm using whitewood (which I believe to be pine?). I think plan on using a wood conditioner to open up the pores on the wood, then staining, then finishing.

One think I'm not sure of is the finishing part. I want to use something that can withstand humidity and any possible water that may run on to it from the tank. I saw that they make something called spar urethane that protects from that type of stuff. Would that be alright to use or is there something that might be better?
Also what's the difference between applying stain with a cloth and applying with a brush?

Let me know if there's any part that I have wrong also.
I use urethane over the finish, it holds up better than varnish.
When you apply stain I like to use a cloth because I can control the amount of stain and darkness of the stain.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use urethane over the finish, it holds up better than varnish.
When you apply stain I like to use a cloth because I can control the amount of stain and darkness of the stain.
What do you used to take it off? A wash cloth type rag or just regular paper towels?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tac cloth. Feels kinda waxy

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a rag or a sponge brush. A rag is messy. Don't get stain with urethane in it. Much harder to get smooth. Just do a couple of coats of plain after you stain it.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Long , gentle strokes with a sponge brush are easiest to control. Don't dip your brush in very far. Less is more.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stain sponge.

011_zps2wvuwohb.jpg

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lite stain with rag or sponge, Dido and i use numerous coats of a very fast drying Urethane as well. I put multiple coats of urethane on my 4x4's that I use alot for stands in my basement.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Staining properly requires several additional steps. if I have time tonight I'll update this thread.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 56 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back