How Wide Should I Go?

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to hear thoughts from large tank owners to hear experiences and see if there is anything I'm not thinking of. I'm ordering a 7ft tank, and I'm trying to decide between 30" wide, and 36" (or anything in between, really).

tl;dr - is the extra 6" going to make a significant difference in aquascaping or fish swimming room?

What I'm working with:

- I don't have a fish room, so the sump and all equipment will be under the stand
- If I go 36 wide, the tank will have to be close to flush with the wall
- I do have a path into the house with a 36" wide tank/stand, but it's a longer trip around the side & back of the house (it's a one time inconvenience, so probably not a big deal)
- The tank is going to be 21" tall
- It's going on a concrete slab so weight isn't a concern.

Questions:
Is 36" going to be too wide to comfortably work in the stand?
Am I going to be annoyed trying to reach something in the back of the tank?
I've never put a tank so close to the wall (~1" off the wall) but I don't think I've ever needed to access behind my tank except to run the wires for lights. Is there anything I'm missing?
Is there anything I'm missing?
I'm planning the overflow on the left side like a peninsula. Am I going to get enough surface skimming across 7ft?

Last edited:

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as surface skimming being one of your concerns it ultimately depends on how you create flow in the tank. If you are doing a circular motion flow like a gyri then you should be fine. Me personally I'd rather cover more surface area if you can

OP
OP
B

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends on how long your arms are at the end of the day. BRS did a video on this

This is a great resource and should help me figure out the maintenance aspect.

I guess the better question for this forum would be - is the extra 6" in width going to make a significant difference in aquascaping and fish swimming room?

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great resource and should help me figure out the maintenance aspect.

I guess the better question for this forum would be - is the extra 6" in width going to make a significant difference in aquascaping and fish swimming room?
Well it’s a seven foot tang so most fish will already be happy for life. With an extra 6 inches though you can add another direction for them to swim in and add a lot more depth in the aquascape so yes

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'd say between 30-32 is perfect, unless its a peninsula and you can access from both sides.

I just re-read the whole post, yeah you won't reach into 36" deep tank. I'm tall and it's a problem.

You're literally planning same tank i'm working on getting. Im going with 84x32x20-22

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too close to wall causes more humidity issues, tough to work on plumbing, even access to outlets etc.

I wish I pulled my tank further into my living space.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How wide can you get in the house without major problems? I opted to go 24 instead of 30. The handles you put on the tank stick out a couple of inches on each side.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
How wide can you get in the house without major problems? I opted to go 24 instead of 30. The handles you put on the tank stick out a couple of inches on each side.

I'm planning for 32" wide to be carried sideways through doorway/staircase.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go 36 wide, the tank will have to be close to flush with the wall
I do have a path into the house with a 36" wide tank/stand, but it's a longer trip around the side & back of the house (it's a one time inconvenience, so probably not a big deal

Double doors are a reefers best friend.
I would go with whatever you decide is easiest to manage. I find If I make if difficult I will soon tire of the extra work

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and that's fine. I got a 240 instead of a 300 and I am happy.

Also wider makes lighting harder to work. Most is designed for 2 foot by some length.

OP
OP
B

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say between 30-32 is perfect, unless its a peninsula and you can access from both sides.

I just re-read the whole post, yeah you won't reach into 36" deep tank. I'm tall and it's a problem.

You're literally planning same tank i'm working on getting. Im going with 84x32x20-22

That's awesome! Have you ordered yours yet?

OP
OP
B

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too close to wall causes more humidity issues, tough to work on plumbing, even access to outlets etc.

I wish I pulled my tank further into my living space.

Thanks for reminding me about issues with the wall. I remember watching a video from BRS where they showed the damage to the wall behind the 160. That would bum me out.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put wall panels behind my tank:

E9A70B40-D438-4A41-8670-8EC8E68DDAB6.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I go 36 wide, the tank will have to be close to flush with the wall
I do have a path into the house with a 36" wide tank/stand, but it's a longer trip around the side & back of the house (it's a one time inconvenience, so probably not a big deal

Double doors are a reefers best friend.
I would go with whatever you decide is easiest to manage. I find If I make if difficult I will soon tire of the extra work

I have a patio door that opens 72"+ and gates on the side of the house that open to 40" if I take it off the hinges. For a one time move into the house, and maybe a second move out way down the road, I think the extra effort bringing it in would have been worth it.

Based on advice from you folks and BRS, I'm going with 30" (I'm so glad I asked!). Ultimately what I did to test is stood on the side of my current tank, which has a very similar overall height, and reached as far as I could to the bottom of the tank. I got about 27" across with minimal effort. With a pair of tweezers I'll be able to grab a frag that fell in the back of a 30" tank, but I wouldn't even get close to being able to do anything in a 36" wide tank.

Thanks everyone!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That's awesome! Have you ordered yours yet?

Im having 2 different versions being sketched up before passing it for quotes. Im having problems deciding between internal and external overflow. The overflow cannot be in the middle and that's what makes it much harder.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back