How would you feel if I tore it all down?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how you feel rev. It took dosing bleach for me to enjoy my tank again and I wish that on no one.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant combined with a few other bacterial supplements, in combination with an approximation of the DSR method, is my personal reefkeeping method. Maintenance is so much easier when you don't have to mix water, dispose of old water, etc. Vibrant, bacteria that digest complex organics, and a powerfilter keep the tank super duper clean with very little work.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pictures would be great, so thread does not look like a sales tool.

Honestly it's not. I tried Vibrant and dosed the suggested amount and didn't see a result so I gave up on it. Then the company contacted me and told be how to get aggressive with the dosing. I have been away for a week and a half but will be home tomorrow. While I have been away I have had the tank feeder to dose like I had been dosing and they have been doing it. From the camera view I have the tank is looking good, maybe 90% clear? I can't be too sure just yet but I am hopeful. Not a sales tool at all. I get "pitched" all types of products and I'll never be unethical about it.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev, when your home let us know how your corals look with such an aggressive dose.

I sure will. They were looking great while I was there. Actually better than they have in a long time. Mostly soft corals, lps and a few sps.

Kzguns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used and still do, at first i dosed twice a week and minimal change, went to every 3 days and boom it really showed changes quickly. I plan to always dose it as it really keeps things cleaned up.

kalina174

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it's not. I tried Vibrant and dosed the suggested amount and didn't see a result so I gave up on it. Then the company contacted me and told be how to get aggressive with the dosing. I have been away for a week and a half but will be home tomorrow. While I have been away I have had the tank feeder to dose like I had been dosing and they have been doing it. From the camera view I have the tank is looking good, maybe 90% clear? I can't be too sure just yet but I am hopeful. Not a sales tool at all. I get "pitched" all types of products and I'll never be unethical about it.

Mind sharing the dosing you are using? I've been fighting Dinos for months (confirmed by microscope) and I'm losing coral like crazy trying to kill it. I've tried hydrogen peroxide, DinoX, blackouts, Vibrant, raising nutrients, adding copepods/phytoplankton, and nothing is having an effect. I'm about to tear it all down and get out. I can think of several other things i can waste thousands on that are more enjoyable. Dinos are so frustrating!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind sharing the dosing you are using? I've been fighting Dinos for months (confirmed by microscope) and I'm losing coral like crazy trying to kill it. I've tried hydrogen peroxide, DinoX, blackouts, Vibrant, raising nutrients, adding copepods/phytoplankton, and nothing is having an effect. I'm about to tear it all down and get out. I can think of several other things i can waste thousands on that are more enjoyable. Dinos are so frustrating!
He is using Vibrant dosed every other day. Maybe @UWC knows how many mL per gallon.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Everything that has an ending has a beginning." I think I may have heard something like that in the MATRIX. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev, when your home let us know how your corals look with such an aggressive dose.

So how did the tank look when you got home?

Ok so after getting back home I was amazed at how the corals looked in the frag tank! The frag tank had had a BAD outbreak of hair algae and bubble algae. Almost all the hair algae was gone and the bubble algae was is on it's last leg. It's fading and bubbles are disappearing! Maybe some emeralds are helping with that but the bubbles I know are being affected by the Vibrant.

The main tank looked like it had little to no dino algae although a nice brownish turf looking algae has taken to the rocks and had matted on the sand. Kinda like cyano but fuzzy. I have never been more happy to have algae like this in my life. I sucked out the matted algae on the sand last night and did some cleaning. Usually with Dino algae you can suck the stuff out and by the time you're done more has settled back into place and it almost looks like you didn't do anything. Today I am happy to report the sand is still clean and actually everything looks better today than after I freshly cleaned it last night!

I am sooooo happy right now!!!

Oh and I have been dosing around 50ml every other day of Vibrant. I was so happy I called @joshporksandwic last night and told him to buy some vibrant because he's dealing with hair algae in his frag tanks.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after getting back home I was amazed at how the corals looked in the frag tank! The frag tank had had a BAD outbreak of hair algae and bubble algae. Almost all the hair algae was gone and the bubble algae was is on it's last leg. It's fading and bubbles are disappearing! Maybe some emeralds are helping with that but the bubbles I know are being affected by the Vibrant.

The main tank looked like it had little to no dino algae although a nice brownish turf looking algae has taken to the rocks and had matted on the sand. Kinda like cyano but fuzzy. I have never been more happy to have algae like this in my life. I sucked out the matted algae on the sand last night and did some cleaning. Usually with Dino algae you can suck the stuff out and by the time you're done more has settled back into place and it almost looks like you didn't do anything. Today I am happy to report the sand is still clean and actually everything looks better today than after I freshly cleaned it last night!

I am sooooo happy right now!!!

Oh and I have been dosing around 50ml every other day of Vibrant. I was so happy I called @joshporksandwic last night and told him to buy some vibrant because he's dealing with hair algae in his frag tanks.

Glad its looking better! Time to host a reef club meeting :p

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad its looking better! Time to host a reef club meeting :p

I agree!! I may actually move some corals back into the tank in a week or so.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I have been dosing around 50ml every other day of Vibrant.

You have around 500g total, right? So you still went 1ml/10g as recommended, just upped it to every other day?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

Back