How's my 'scape?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Just wanted to get some feedback on my aquascape!
front.jpg

Top down view: (the branch rock was put it after this was taken, but it occupies the same spot as the "chunk" in the middle/left side)
topdn.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
looks good. my only suggestion is to somehow prop the branch up, to give you some surface area to glue corals. keeping it laying over you remove some space to glue corals.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt leave much space on the sand, some of the nicer lps corals get placed on the sand, and not giving myself more sand space is something that I regret.

Also, just me personally, my own opinion, please dont take it the wrong way, but those rocks are huge, personally I would smash them into at least 2 pieces each so that its easier to manage the space.

OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt leave much space on the sand, some of the nicer lps corals get placed on the sand, and not giving myself more sand space is something that I regret.

Also, just me personally, my own opinion, please dont take it the wrong way, but those rocks are huge, personally I would smash them into at least 2 pieces each so that its easier to manage the space.
Im staying barebottom for this tank, and will be mostly SPS and zoas with some LPS (duncan, hammer, chalice, acan, and one favia) strewn about! The rocks definitely pretty big, the whole thing is just 4 pieces with a branching piece attached! I made sure that I can fit my hand between the rocks and the back/side glass, the angle of the top-down shot makes it look a lot tighter in the back than it really is.

OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like it that’s all that matters. I agree with breaking other rocks into 2-3 pieces. But once again if you are happy that’s all that matters. Have fun and wish you a ton of success.
But why break them up if I'm going to be gluing them back together?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. As suggested give yourself some room between the glass and rock for cleaning;)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would break the rocks a bit because I don’t see much room for fish to swim between the glass and the rocks. You don’t need to glue the rocks, just stack the pieces like you would, but make it less bulky.

OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. As suggested give yourself some room between the glass and rock for cleaning;)
I can't wait for the cleaning part! This will be my first barebottom tank and I already love the look of it. My wife even complimented the look, she likes that you can see the bottom of the rocks. She doesn't care about aquariums at all, so that was a big positive vote for me lol

OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would break the rocks a bit because I don’t see much room for fish to swim between the glass and the rocks. You don’t need to glue the rocks, just stack the pieces like you would, but make it less bulky.
I'll have to post an updated picture later tonight, the water line obscures some of the better "cavey zones"

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Just wanted to get some feedback on my aquascape!
front.jpg

Top down view: (the branch rock was put it after this was taken, but it occupies the same spot as the "chunk" in the middle/left side)
topdn.jpg
Just my opinion - but I would take the big one on the right out and smash it a few times with a hammer. Would move the rock in the middle over to the right. Then get some super glue/JB weld and create some cool smaller pieces. maybe use a couple of those for the middle or affix to the back wall somehow. Definitely looks too crowded and blocky for my taste.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait for the cleaning part! This will be my first barebottom tank and I already love the look of it. My wife even complimented the look, she likes that you can see the bottom of the rocks. She doesn't care about aquariums at all, so that was a big positive vote for me lol
Some day I will do a floating island with a white sand bottom.

OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my opinion - but I would take the big one on the right out and smash it a few times with a hammer. Would move the rock in the middle over to the right. Then get some super glue/JB weld and create some cool smaller pieces. maybe use a couple of those for the middle or affix to the back wall somehow. Definitely looks too crowded and blocky for my taste.
That big rock on the right is such an awesome piece of pukani, I couldn't break it up. So many tunnels! And the middle rock is actually 2 pieces glued together, it bridges between the pukani and the middle rock under it. I appreciate the feedback though!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Heres what it looks like now that the tank is full. @shakacuz I actually ended up mounting that branching piece more vertically, so good idea! Lol
20211129_175400.jpg
much better! hopefully there is enough crevice/swimming room for the fish around the edges.

OP
OP
LiveFreeAndReef

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
much better! hopefully there is enough crevice/swimming room for the fish around the edges.
There should be! I plan on keeping a very light fish-load, the customary pair of clowns, a tailspot blenny, a six-line wrasse. Maybe a hawkfish but I'm still on the fence

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back