Howto: 0-10v Control Return Pump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you shut of the socket or the 1-10 V

Sincerely Lasse
The 1-10v

I think it’s that I turned it back on (stopped maint mode) too quickly after having entered maint mode.

I tried again a couple of times today and it worked perfectly fine after I waited a few minutes before exiting maint mode.

Jgoal55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update here: the illumination channels are working perfectly for my RD3 pumps. Thank you @Lasse for the suggestion!!

on another note, while setting up and calibrating my KHD last night, I came across another one of your posts that really helped me. Thanks for all your help and contributions on these forums!

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm resurrecting an old post, but I've been attempting a similar setup and running into issues.

I've been attempting to rewire a 3.5mm jack into the RJ12 coupler, but the various wires I've been attempting to use don't have solid wires, they are braided and I can't seem to get them to align properly in the RJ12. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the braided wires. I'd rather rewire than use the GHL module so I just have a single wire going between my profilux and Varios.

Regardless, I found an ice cap Y cable at BRS. I'm thinking I should be able to snip the RJ45 and rewire into an RJ12. I don't want to buy a 3rd wire and it not work though.

Thoughts?

Should I keep attempting with the braided wires or give the ice cap one a shot?

Screenshot_20240330_105126_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240330_132343_Chrome.jpg

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a bit at a loss with controlling my varios return pump with 0-10v.

I found a 3.5mm jack with bare wires at the end. I verified the wiring as shown with my ohm meter and wired into an RJ12 connector as mentioned by others in this thread. I verified connection with my ohm meter again. All good. However, after I set up my stream group per this thread (and the literature from GHL), I don't seem to have any control of the pump. Ive tried adjusting the max % and turning on and off feed pauses, but the pump is constant.

Some oddities I've noted while running:
1. I still can change the speed of the pump from the Varios controller, although it doesn't seem to match up with speeds when 0-10v is unplugged
2. I'm watching the watts via Kasa strip. Bounces between 75 and 85 watts at Speed 3 on the controller and "80%" in GCC. When 0-10v I'd unplugged, wattage is 66.2 with ~0.2 watt fluctuations.

edit: I'm a dummy and had to strike these out as I didn't have the connection fully seated in the Varios controller

Could really use some help figuring this out.

New wire
Screenshot_20240331_171403_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Profilux setup:
Screenshot_20240331_202842_GHL Connect.jpg
Screenshot_20240331_202741_GHL Connect.jpg
Screenshot_20240331_202752_GHL Connect.jpg
Screenshot_20240331_202806_GHL Connect.jpg
Screenshot_20240331_202812_GHL Connect.jpg

Last edited:

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a dummy. The random wattage and ability to still use the controller when plugged in with 0-10v was due to not having the 3.5mm jack all the way inserted. Doh!

Now I can't change speed using the varios controller (as expected), but I get ZERO flow no matter what settings are in the pump and pump group

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have you connected the RJ12 to your cable? Pin 2 is + for channel 1, pin 3 is gnd (-) for both channels and pin 5 is + for channel 2. However - its a little mysteries how GHL connect the pins and how they count them I´ll think that it is this way. The flap in direction from you. I have noted that they use different colours for the different pins sometimes - I think its differ between L and S cables. This is an old L cable with the cables mounted (from pin 1 to 6) in this order Black, Brown, Red, Orange, yellow and green. another combination I have seen is (pin 1 -6) white Brown, green, yellow, lilac and red

1711965777687.png

Hope it helps

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have you connected the RJ12 to your cable? Pin 2 is + for channel 1, pin 3 is gnd (-) for both channels and pin 5 is + for channel 2. However - its a little mysteries how GHL connect the pins and how they count them I´ll think that it is this way. The flap in direction from you. I have noted that they use different colours for the different pins sometimes - I think its differ between L and S cables. This is an old L cable with the cables mounted (from pin 1 to 6) in this order Black, Brown, Red, Orange, yellow and green. another combination I have seen is (pin 1 -6) white Brown, green, yellow, lilac and red

1711965777687.png

Hope it helps

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you, it really did.

You know....sometimes I think I'm a pretty bright individual, but then this happens. I was so particular about the position of the wiring into the connector on the first attempts with the cheap wires, that when my new "good" wire came in I mistakenly wired into terminals 4 and 5, thinking they were the appropriate 2 and 3.

UGH

Worked perfectly well once I had connections corrected.

GHL: 145
Me: 0

My improper RJ12 connection (clip down)
20240401_093051.jpg
Edited picture so others wouldn't mistake it as correct positioning

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back