Huge ammonia spike

Azariah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a red sea 170 which is about a month old. I cycled using the red sea starter kit and have been following up by using the pure reef balance balls. I added my fish after ammonia 0 for a few days for a second time meaning it went past its initial spike.

I was advised by my LFS to feed a huge amount more than what I should have and as a result after a few days of more 0 results I have seen a massive ammonia spike.
I turned off the pump and put it back on to force out the food that had been left over and caught it in a net, I also used a syphon to pick up debris in the tank and sump (as much as I could have). I have done a 40% water change and then cleaned my filter sock and skimmer. The ammonia however hasn't been dropping and I am only feeding small amounts of food per day and removing any uneaten food. I have added some more bacteria balls but wanted to know if there is anything else I should be doing? Can I clean that black sponge in new salt water or any other tips would be appreciated. My fish, coral and snails all are still alive after 4 days and able to eat and maintain colour. Its the only thing giving me hope we can make it through :(

sump.jpg

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can read I just think you have overfed your aquarium, I'm unsure about filtration system however I would just lay off the food for a day at least, I'm sure nothing will starve as I assume you have overfed anyway

shooter2377

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still nee to this as well, but I would say maybe another water change, and if it’s really bad maybe get some sort of ammonia neutralizer from the store...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Once bacteria is diminished and cannot keep up with the bioload such as feeding, overstocking, lack of water change- ammonia will spike due to more waste available than the filter and bacteria can handle.

OP
OP
A

Azariah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, what is all that on the bottom of your sump under the float?
Are you saying you fed too much fish food?
This is all sand that was picked up! Don't worry I picked up all the food! Yes I overfed but reduced massively everyday and went a day without feeding at all! Might do a day on day off for feeding until the return

OP
OP
A

Azariah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once bacteria is diminished and cannot keep up with the bioload such as feeding, overstocking, lack of water change- ammonia will spike due to more waste available than the filter and bacteria can handle.
Does this mean I need to do anything and recycle ?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210531_220949.jpg
you can over feed daily and days off still leaves food in your aquarium that will break down which will cause ammonia spike.. this might need fixing also, hope this helps

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does this mean I need to do anything and recycle ?
Water change
Add liquid bacteria such as Bacter 7
Monitor your levels. If youre using an API test kit, you may be getting false readings.

Saberfal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You basically overloaded the bacteria that just cycled your tank.

It'll be okay, you just need to stay on top of it and act with a purpose.

Whatever you're feeding, feed less of it.

If ammonia creeps up above safe levels, then do a water change.

That's all you need to do.

It's going to take a while for your bacteria to stabilize, maybe a few weeks even.

Everytime you add something new this happens just usually not on this large if a scale. So try not to worry too much!

OP
OP
A

Azariah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few things to answer, reading using a red sea kit is between 1.2 and 0.8
I think it is getting lighter which means bacteria is still present but thats where I am unsure.
Will regular water changes disrupt the tank too much? I have done two already over 5 days.
I have two clown fishes that are quite small.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is getting lighter which means bacteria is still present but thats where I am unsure.
Will regular water changes disrupt the tank too much? I have done two already over 5 days.

No water changes won't hurt anything, the bacteria lives on your rocks and sand etc it will catch up to handle all the ammonia.

Do a 10-20% water change and go buy some "prime" follow instructions and put it in the clean water you add.

Your ammonia kit will still read hi ammonia but that's because your kit is reading total not free ammonia which is the deadly.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok. everything is going to be fine :cool:

OP
OP
A

Azariah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the advice! Do people post updates normally or do people not care haha

Anyway I will be doing water changes, buying some prime and adding small amounts bacteria over time to help get the tank back on form.

Thank you all for the help.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the advice! Do people post updates normally or do people not care haha

Anyway I will be doing water changes, buying some prime and adding small amounts bacteria over time to help get the tank back on form.

I feel like a nuisance for keep replying and relaying, you should update, it helps people like me read and research

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Updates are great. Especially for them people who find this topic in a few months or years.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back