HUGE gasp? Blue Streak Sleeper Goby

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m wondering if anyone can explain this goby’s behavior? Every so often, he’ll gape his mouth wide open, then continue on about his day. There’s no regularity to when it happens. He’s eating and acting just fine, it’s just odd! You can see it about half way through the video. I had an orange spotted goby in another tank that did this as well, but he didn’t survive more than a week. I’ve had this guy for 3 or so months.

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time the sand sifters do this when they want a cleaning from the shrimp. My diamond goby actually lets my leopard wrasse pick his mouth clean. Lol. All it takes is a wide gape like you’re seeing yours do and it’s on!

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time the sand sifters do this when they want a cleaning from the shrimp. My diamond goby actually lets my leopard wrasse pick his mouth clean. Lol. All it takes is a wide gape like you’re seeing yours do and it’s on!
Interesting! Also, I don’t actually have a shrimp paired with my goby. Any suggestions on good ones?? I have a peppermint shrimp, but its reclusive.

Tumey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Also, I don’t actually have a shrimp paired with my goby. Any suggestions on good ones?? I have a peppermint shrimp, but its reclusive.
You probably wouldn’t get a shrimp to pair with the goby you have but I like to keep scarlet skunk cleaners in my tank. They’ve never bothered anything and part of their natural diet includes parasites they pick off and consume from fish.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m wondering if anyone can explain this goby’s behavior? Every so often, he’ll gape his mouth wide open, then continue on about his day. There’s no regularity to when it happens. He’s eating and acting just fine, it’s just odd! You can see it about half way through the video. I had an orange spotted goby in another tank that did this as well, but he didn’t survive more than a week. I’ve had this guy for 3 or so months.

Goby behaviour. My diamond does this frequently when it sees me; I think it's a threat display, as well. I do have a peppermint shrimp, but the goby flares its mouth even when it's not around. Then again, my orchid dottyback does this too...

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably wouldn’t get a shrimp to pair with the goby you have but I like to keep scarlet skunk cleaners in my tank. They’ve never bothered anything and part of their natural diet includes parasites they pick off and consume from fish.
Goby behaviour. My diamond does this frequently when it sees me; I think it's a threat display, as well. I do have a peppermint shrimp, but the goby flares its mouth even when it's not around. Then again, my orchid dottyback does this too...
Thanks for the info folks! I have a new issue though... the goby is still doing this, which is fine, but it also has this strange white lump on his forehead, and possibly a couple white spots. I’m seeing a white spec on my purple tang and one of my clowns also. The pictures are mostly to guide your eyes during the videos. There is sand and some bubbles floating around, and the lump on his head looks like a piece of course substrate, but it and these specs are not falling off like sand normally does which is what’s concerning me. What are your thoughts??

2931BBC5-C356-4BB8-9CEA-48E507FE7228.jpeg
E8652055-97F4-4417-AFA5-345CBCC70988.jpeg
979EBBDF-DF66-4C47-A9DE-4A202EB6C324.jpeg

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white piece fell off the goby’s head.. looks like maybe he damaged his skin or something though? The white spots are still on him, the purple tang and clown, that hasn’t changed.

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional note for my above two posts from today (3/22): my scopas tang, one of my clowns, and my banggai Cardinal are showing no spots.

Tumey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info folks! I have a new issue though... the goby is still doing this, which is fine, but it also has this strange white lump on his forehead, and possibly a couple white spots. I’m seeing a white spec on my purple tang and one of my clowns also. The pictures are mostly to guide your eyes during the videos. There is sand and some bubbles floating around, and the lump on his head looks like a piece of course substrate, but it and these specs are not falling off like sand normally does which is what’s concerning me. What are your thoughts??

2931BBC5-C356-4BB8-9CEA-48E507FE7228.jpeg
E8652055-97F4-4417-AFA5-345CBCC70988.jpeg
979EBBDF-DF66-4C47-A9DE-4A202EB6C324.jpeg

It almost looks like Lymphocystis but maybe we can call in the resident expert @Jay Hemdal to share his thoughts.

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tumey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back