Two weird and terrible fish deaths. Help!

KateAtkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two large-ish fish die in a week. Both in weird ways.

Cleaner wrasse I found curled up in a corner gasping. When I went to fish him out he tried to swim but couldn’t. He had a weird puff of flesh at the join on his fin and it wasn’t working at all. He’d been in the tank since the start a year ago.

Then a week later my newish (but very large well over 3inches) Mandarin Goby died. He was acting strange during the day (yesterday) and was aggressively head butting the glass, never seen that before. But I figured it was nothing. Then this morning I find him unable to swim, gasping and thrashing and in minutes he’s dead. Body looked unharmed. I’m really upset. I loved him. He’s been in the tank a couple months no issues. Fed with monthly copeopods etc.

All the water parameters are good. 20g Waterbox Tank is a year old. Stock: live rock, tiny Royal Gamma, pizza anemone, 2 porcelain crabs, standard LPS corals, one large peppermint shrimp I never see.

The weirdness I saw yesterday with him was happening in the morning in the afternoon I added three new fish, all very tiny. Coral goby, court jester goby and a not even one inch yellow spotted box fish (I know they get larger I’m planning a bigger tank). The mandarin was the biggest thing in the tank by two inches.

I don’t know what the heck is going on. I’m new to reefing and stupidly get attached to my fish. Watching him die this morning was horrifying.

I don’t understand how a cleaner wrasse breaks a side fin?? I thought maybe a porcelain grab bit it but my LFS says not likely. Thought could it be the pizza anemone that and the crabs are the newest things in the tank? But I didn’t think the anemone would poison the mandarin?

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cleaner wrasse I found curled up in a corner gasping. When I went to fish him out he tried to swim but couldn’t. He had a weird puff of flesh at the join on his fin and it wasn’t working at all. He’d been in the tank since the start a year ago.

Then a week later my newish (but very large well over 3inches) Mandarin Goby died. He was acting strange during the day (yesterday) and was aggressively head butting the glass, never seen that before. But I figured it was nothing. Then this morning I find him unable to swim, gasping and thrashing and in minutes he’s dead. Body looked unharmed. I’m really upset. I loved him. He’s been in the tank a couple months no issues. Fed with monthly copeopods etc.

All the water parameters are good. 20g Waterbox Tank is a year old. Stock: live rock, tiny Royal Gamma, pizza anemone, 2 porcelain crabs, standard LPS corals, one large peppermint shrimp I never see.

The weirdness I saw yesterday with him was happening in the morning in the afternoon I added three new fish, all very tiny. Coral goby, court jester goby and a not even one inch yellow spotted box fish (I know they get larger I’m planning a bigger tank). The mandarin was the biggest thing in the tank by two inches.

I don’t know what the heck is going on. I’m new to reefing and stupidly get attached to my fish. Watching him die this morning was horrifying.

I don’t understand how a cleaner wrasse breaks a side fin?? I thought maybe a porcelain grab bit it but my LFS says not likely. Thought could it be the pizza anemone that and the crabs are the newest things in the tank? But I didn’t think the anemone would poison the mandarin?
What type of equipment do you have ? Do you have a powerhead with the current breaking the surface tension ? . Are you doing water changes regularly ? Do you know whether you have a reading of ammonia ? Do you have rock in the tank ? What type of filtration do you have ? Is it a AIO ? My first concern from what you’ve described is if you have ammonia readings , and are you getting enough oxygen in the water ,also a picture / video might be helpful . Sorry for your loss and WELCOME!! :cool: To our group .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

This can be a series of things from oxygen to injury to disease. Pics of the mandarin and cleaner wrasse would/will be helpful if any available for clues . Assessments are best made when fish is still alive and in its current state.
Often mandarins that are thin will have a struggle to gain strength and cleaner wrasse are often not long lived especially blue streak version. On cleaner, may have been bacterial but a guess. For its fin, often fish get upset with its constant nipping at their bodies for cleaning and may take a bite at it or chase it into the glass.
You stated paramaetrs are good - What is your ammonia-ph-salinity-temp

OP
OP
KateAtkins

KateAtkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s bad to get attached to you’re animals at all, that’s why you’re hear on R2R, because we care!
Debra
Thank you. I was so very sad. I think finding a dead fish is different from watching it die within minutes without being able to help.

OP
OP
KateAtkins

KateAtkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much everyone. I didn’t expect such a response! I’m just gathering all the answers and I’ll come back to you.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back