Huge trouble with nitrates

  • Thread starter Thread starter hrdneglcry
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

hrdneglcry

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 15, 2022
Messages
718
Reaction score
212
Location
Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I never have tested for nitrates. And they were the worst color on the Salifert test. I have changed 210 gallons on my 180 tank/120 sump. But the test still shows the worst color. I vacuumed the sand bed but there was no brown in it. I will keep changing water but having trouble figuring out why the nitrates are not falling. The filters are cleaned.
 
Looks like it comes out of the tap with high nitrates. Time to get
the RO going
 
Looks like it comes out of the tap with high nitrates. Time to get
the RO going
Sounds like a solid move. For most locations, using tap water isn't a good idea 🙂
 
I drink this water when I make tea. Its the worse color on chart right out of the tap.
 
I added a tee before the di resin and put a tank under the sink and added an RO faucet.
That's what I do too. I'll add, that the RO water then goes through a remineralizing stage that adds stuff back to make the drinking water taste better.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new