Hurry setup for a clam or not ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
A beautiful, orange cla, is available that my wife and I are adking thid question.
Is it safe to do or would we be in trouble, killing the clam ?

We started thr hobby in the 90's, retired and returned a few years ago. We have three tanks set up. We plan on putting a new 125g into the living room wall which we had a 75g in there in the 90's. We have apx 100 lbs of the white dead rock like BRS sells, plus apx 100 lbs of very nice 15 yr old coraline rock from our three tanks.

The problem is I've went through some very bad health isdues the last few years, so the three tanks need some attention, have some algae issues and some red slime, but not severe.
I have not done tests on the tanks for a while, but I need to even if we don't get this clam.

We have 29g biocube that we could setup for the clam.

I have never had such a small clam before, at 1.5" from ORA. Is that an issue ?

We love,.....the color of this little guy.

lg-091118-259a.jpg

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that beauty on Diver's Den last night but could not pull the trigger due to it's size so I ended up getting two others that were 2.25" & 2.75".
They're still smaller then I like but hopefully they will acclimate.
I too would like to know if you can setup a clam only QT on the fly without an established bio-filter.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful clam, but unless you have a look down tank, it will probably look totally different in your tank.

I did purchase a small Ora clam about 2 months ago...it's doing fine, but I need to show people where to look to see it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a sweet clam.
There will always be sweet clams.

See the quote in my signature.

Follow your gut.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is not so sure if we're ready, if using a fast setup, but I'm thinking of what we have for it, we'd be ok, but not 100% ? lol....

Last edited:

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be the last time I order clams from Diver's Den again.
Two that I picked out came in with the byssal foot not looking great and they are gaping after a careful acclimation. It almost looks like whoever is picking and packing these orders are ripping off the rubble that they might have been attached too in the Wisconsin facility. I sent them an email telling customer service that these beautiful clams don't have much of a chance if they are not being handled by knowledgeable staff.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be the last time I order clams from Diver's Den again.
Two that I picked out came in with the byssal foot not looking great and they are gaping after a careful acclimation. It almost looks like whoever is picking and packing these orders are ripping off the rubble that they might have been attached too in the Wisconsin facility. I sent them an email telling customer service that these beautiful clams don't have much of a chance if they are not being handled by knowledgeable staff.

I've heard that too, but it may,....be other problems like shipping etc ?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looking at the byssal opening upon unpacking, I surmise that whoever is getting the orders ready are pulling/ripping or cutting the rubble off the byssal threads and severely compromising the clams.
What I saw was hanging byssal threads with nothing attached and the clams were gaping quite a bit.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These 3 that I got on the same day from POTO came in fine and are beautiful. All of them had what looked like course ARM reactor media tightly attached to their foot.

IMG_4012.JPG

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 2-1/2" ORA Squamosa clam from Diver's Den 2 weeks ago, and it's doing great! This is the 3rd clam I'm trying from them. The first two died within a few days. That was about a year ago. The major thing I did differently this time was that I DIDN'T drip acclimate. I'll repeat, I did NOT drip acclimate. I floated the bag for about an hour, put him and the bag water into a container to inspect for critters, then immediately put him in my tank. When a fish or clam ships overnight, there will be an ammonia spike as soon as you open the bag. I think the best thing for livestock when shipped overnight is to get them in clean water asap. Diver's Den keeps their salinity at 1.025 (I believe...it's posted on their website), which is where I keep mine, so I feel the stress from the ammonia would be more difficult to the clam than the difference in water parameters. My clam is doing great. Though maybe I just got lucky with a healthy clam this time and I'm full of poop? [emoji13]

This is my Squammy after 2 weeks [emoji16]
264a042e3dc480562d165c2fad30f6ec.jpg

Ghost463

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. This happens to be my speciality!! I aquascape and setup tanks almost daily. Most of mynclients want a tank setup and finished on day 1 right?!. (Most dont no enough to no the dont no)((please dont tell them i said that))
Some ideas for u though. I often use water from a built and established eco-system to help start and support a new tank. Also to help me be more prepared i always have "backup" medias.
U can kick start an eco system with the resources u already have. Split up your filter media and use some of the water from the established tank. Also use fresh biological aquarium supplements. (I could not imagine running a business loke this without it)
I to am one that gets the spike or ... Splash... of inspiration!!
Good luck!

15370302333892924564591384676422.jpg

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never buy Clams from DD no more, either DoA or will die within 2 weeks and sometime its came with FREE DISEASE and effect your other healthy clams.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never buy Clams from DD no more, either DoA or will die within 2 weeks and sometime its came with FREE DISEASE and effect your other healthy clams.

I've now heard about them now, so I won't buy clams there.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back