HW-Marinemix Reefer with nitrites/nitrates?

Coolinmn55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - First post in this community and newer (6 months) into reefing. Sorry it’s so long...About three weeks ago I setup my second tank, a 70 gallon tank with a 26 gallon sump. Based on BRS’ recommendation, I decided to set this tank up using HW Marinemix Reefer salt. For some background, my other tank was filled with Red Sea salt premixed/purchased from a LFS. I decided now with the second tank, I’d like to make my own water and have also purchased a 6-stage RO/DI system from BRS. Anyways, after two weeks of fishless tank cycling using ammonia and Dr. Tim’s, I’m seeing persistent nitrites (0.5 ppm) in my new tank. I’m also seeing an elevated nitrate level (greater than 50 ppm) despite only dosing ammonia twice during the cycle. I thought this off so I did a 50% WC and still measured same levels of nitrates/nitrates after the WC. Today I decided to test a jug of extra pre-mixed water (not from tank) and got the same elevated levels of nitrites/nitrates). Also I checked unmixed RO/DI water and didn’t get any nitrites or nitrates. Note I’ve used two different test kits - API and Salifert and get the same results. Did I get a bad batch of salt? Has anyone used this salt and had this experience? It upsets me because I’ve been thinking my cycle has been stalled because of the persistent nitrites (no more Ammonia). Thanks in advance for your input.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey coolin, welcome
Hw is synthetic, so contaminants are less likely.
I have been using it for a couple of years.
Maybe get a nyos nitrate checker. They do a better job of helping you color match.
Saliferts good, api junk.

OP
OP
C

Coolinmn55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey coolin, welcome
Hw is synthetic, so contaminants are less likely.
I have been using it for a couple of years.
Maybe get a nyos nitrate checker. They do a better job of helping you color match.
Saliferts good, api junk.
Thanks for the response and the welcome. I’m using both Salifert and API kits. I bought the Salifert kit after hearing the API is junk. I’m pretty sure the numbers are accurate. I’m thinking the nitrates are from storing mixed water in a container as I’ve tested straight from fresh mixed water and didn’t see it. I’m also wondering if the presence of amino acids in the salt without corals is creating the nitrate levels in my tank. It’s a mystery but I’m just going to move on and keep watching.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - First post in this community and newer (6 months) into reefing. Sorry it’s so long...About three weeks ago I setup my second tank, a 70 gallon tank with a 26 gallon sump. Based on BRS’ recommendation, I decided to set this tank up using HW Marinemix Reefer salt. For some background, my other tank was filled with Red Sea salt premixed/purchased from a LFS. I decided now with the second tank, I’d like to make my own water and have also purchased a 6-stage RO/DI system from BRS. Anyways, after two weeks of fishless tank cycling using ammonia and Dr. Tim’s, I’m seeing persistent nitrites (0.5 ppm) in my new tank. I’m also seeing an elevated nitrate level (greater than 50 ppm) despite only dosing ammonia twice during the cycle. I thought this off so I did a 50% WC and still measured same levels of nitrates/nitrates after the WC. Today I decided to test a jug of extra pre-mixed water (not from tank) and got the same elevated levels of nitrites/nitrates). Also I checked unmixed RO/DI water and didn’t get any nitrites or nitrates. Note I’ve used two different test kits - API and Salifert and get the same results. Did I get a bad batch of salt? Has anyone used this salt and had this experience? It upsets me because I’ve been thinking my cycle has been stalled because of the persistent nitrites (no more Ammonia). Thanks in advance for your input.
Re: nitrites, you might just be at a point where nitrites had increased, but then nitrite oxidation started to occur, and there is an equilibrium where the amount of nitrite produced and consumed is more or less equal. But, gotta ask - was nitrite seemingly stalled at 0.5ppm while ammonia was decreasing, or was this when ammonia already went down to 0 and nitrite still remained at 0.5ppm?

Re: nitrates, allegedly this is because ppm is measured as mg/L for both API and Salifert, and although a single molecule of ammonia or nitrate contains the same number of nitrogen molecules, their mass is different, with nitrate significantly higher than ammonia. So that is why nitrate measures at much higher ppms than ammonia (or nitrite), even though more or less the same amount of nitrogen is converted. I have yet to really dig deep into this, but it sounds logical, so passing it on to you. :3

OP
OP
C

Coolinmn55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: nitrites, you might just be at a point where nitrites had increased, but then nitrite oxidation started to occur, and there is an equilibrium where the amount of nitrite produced and consumed is more or less equal. But, gotta ask - was nitrite seemingly stalled at 0.5ppm while ammonia was decreasing, or was this when ammonia already went down to 0 and nitrite still remained at 0.5ppm?

Re: nitrates, allegedly this is because ppm is measured as mg/L for both API and Salifert, and although a single molecule of ammonia or nitrate contains the same number of nitrogen molecules, their mass is different, with nitrate significantly higher than ammonia. So that is why nitrate measures at much higher ppms than ammonia (or nitrite), even though more or less the same amount of nitrogen is converted. I have yet to really dig deep into this, but it sounds logical, so passing it on to you. :3

OP
OP
C

Coolinmn55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I’m an environmental scientist by occupation so I like to geek out in the chemistry too. I know that testing some amount of nitrites might lead to increased test results for nitrate. To date I have not seen any ammonia since day 6 of the cycle (almost 10 days ago) but have consistently seen 0.5 - 1 ppm nitrites and 50-100 nitrates since day 3. I’ve since done two water changes 25-30% and no decreases. I added two clown fish about 3 days ago and still no change. Ammonia still at 0 but still measuring nitrites and nitrates. I’m stumped but know that the fish are fine. I even have some hydroids in the tank. Again I appreciate all the responses and think this community is such a great resource. If I ever figure it out - or finally get down to 0 nitrites, I’ll post an update.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix up another small batch in a different container and check that. Have it checked at the LFS too. I had been using HW for some time and have not seen any elevations in my nitrates.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back