HybridAZN's 180 gallon build

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by hybridazn, Jan 27, 2015.

1. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Unfortunately, I have both of you beat right now. I'm an acro annihilator. :(

I saw this update, and I was like, "huh???"

prsnlty, hybridazn and GoVols like this.

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

Wasn't this your last FTS?
    upload_2018-2-13_10-0-14.png

:p

3. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

LOLOL!

hybridazn, tommyhere and GoVols like this.
  4. tommyhere

tommyhere Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

Dang that's bad burn, lol

hybridazn and GoVols like this.
  5. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Don't worry, hopefully you get it turned around haha.

Dang, cuts like a knife hahaha

prsnlty, tommyhere, Brew12 and 2 others like this.
  6. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

During my quarterly cleaning of my pumps I was scrubbing clean my wavs and I found this

20180214_101611.jpg

The magnet is scrapped up and is swelling. I contacted Neptune and they sent me an RMA to send in the pump. Now these pumps are from 2015(won in the macna raffle by @mdbannister) but they sat in the box until last year when I got them and fired them up.

So my question is, should I send in the pump even though it's clearly out of warranty or just order a new impeller? The person I spoke to said he can try to get it covered under warranty but can't make any promises which I totally understand.

What would you all do?

aquavista99, jsker, Brew12 and 2 others like this.
  7. mdbannister

I say send it in

8. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

If he says to send it in you are better off just buying a new impeller. :p

In a more serious moment I really would order a new impeller. There is absolutely no reason to send in the entire motor. There is no problem in the motor that can cause swelling in the rotor. My concern is that you will send in the motor with the RMA and then find out it won't be covered. At that point, you will have to pay for the new rotor anyway, and then return shipping.

If anything, just send them the rotor. That way if they won't do a warranty replacement of the rotor you can tell them to toss it and just order a new one without the extra charges.

prsnlty, jsker, mdbannister and 2 others like this.
  9. hybridazn

Yea might as well. I just hate boxing stuff up lol

10. hybridazn

That was my exact thought as well. Still having to buy the impeller and have to pay for 2x shipping.

prsnlty, Brew12 and jsker like this.
  11. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader MTRCMember R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Can someone tell me what would cause it swell up like that?

hybridazn likes this.
  12. hybridazn

I'm guessing heat generated by constantly being in motion and cooler water around it might be issues to cause it to fail this way.

I've had multiple different pumps do this, it's almost par for the course anymore lol. This is why I constantly clean and inspect my pumps anymore.

prsnlty and GoVols like this.
  13. mdbannister

I like this plan. Do this

prsnlty, Brew12, hybridazn and 2 others like this.
  14. mdbannister

:p:p:p:cool:

15. Second Shot

Second Shot Active Member

Is the hole in the motor where the impeller goes still a perfect circle? A lot of times when the impeller does that it will scar and oblong that hole and the motor is shot.
    That’s probably why they want to see the whole thing.

prsnlty, hybridazn and GoVols like this.
  16. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader MTRCMember R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Good point.

If the motor block is fine, then I'd just buy the impeller from BRS with free shipping and get the BRS points too.

JMO :)

prsnlty, hybridazn and Second Shot like this.
  17. hybridazn

They want me to send the whole pump in, not just the rotor

Really hard to tell this by the naked eye you you made a great point. If that is the case with the motor doing this I really hope they cover it under warranty haha

That is def what I would do.

GoVols likes this.
  18. aquavista99

aquavista99 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Send them both in and let them determine if they can be repaired or replaced ...hopefully the warranty will be honored since the pump failed on you with very limited use. I just had the same thing happen to me with a brand new pump made in Germany. It sat in the box collecting dust for almost two years ...and pump does not work at all. It is still under warranty though.

GoVols, mdbannister and hybridazn like this.
  19. mdbannister

Meh. I'd send it in and pay the shipping. How much can shipping cost anyway? Don't you work for the Post Office? :p

GoVols and hybridazn like this.
  20. mdbannister

And you live in PA! Just drive to EcoTech! Geez! :p ;Hilarious;Hilarious

Draft saved Draft deleted