HybridAZN's 180 gallon build

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup that's the plan! I'm working toward a losing this acro killer name I've got lol

Yes I believe that's the key. I used to be an Acro Killer too! Well technically I still am but I did get them to grow quite well for a while until the tank crashed.... You got this! Can't wait to see what your brewing up :D

Unfortunately, I have both of you beat right now. I'm an acro annihilator. :(

So this weekend I decided it was time to part ways with this old girl...

20180210_110135.jpg

Here it is all loaded up ready for the long trip.

And here it is at her new destination..

20180210_142515.jpg

It's here where the skimmer will be.....

For a couple weeks or so lol :p

@geo at Geo's Reef let me bring it to his shop to repair the leaking valve on it. He has to basically redo about half of the hard plumbing on it. He will be adding a couple unions to it so if this ever happens again I can just swap the valve out myself.

The family and I had the 3 hour trip to his shop, while we were out that way we stopped at a LFS rivers to reefs. It is a pretty nice store I felt. We then drove a bit further to Easton to do some shopping. It was rainy and cold so we didn't do much shopping lol, but we did get some Jenny's ice cream! That's some of the best in the biz if you ask me.

I can't wait to get this skimmer fixed and back online lol

Thanks again @geo !
I saw this update, and I was like, "huh???"

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During my quarterly cleaning of my pumps I was scrubbing clean my wavs and I found this

20180214_101611.jpg

The magnet is scrapped up and is swelling. I contacted Neptune and they sent me an RMA to send in the pump. Now these pumps are from 2015(won in the macna raffle by @mdbannister) but they sat in the box until last year when I got them and fired them up.

So my question is, should I send in the pump even though it's clearly out of warranty or just order a new impeller? The person I spoke to said he can try to get it covered under warranty but can't make any promises which I totally understand.

What would you all do?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
During my quarterly cleaning of my pumps I was scrubbing clean my wavs and I found this

20180214_101611.jpg

The magnet is scrapped up and is swelling. I contacted Neptune and they sent me an RMA to send in the pump. Now these pumps are from 2015(won in the macna raffle by @mdbannister) but they sat in the box until last year when I got them and fired them up.

So my question is, should I send in the pump even though it's clearly out of warranty or just order a new impeller? The person I spoke to said he can try to get it covered under warranty but can't make any promises which I totally understand.

What would you all do?
I say send it in

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say send it in
If he says to send it in you are better off just buying a new impeller. :p

In a more serious moment I really would order a new impeller. There is absolutely no reason to send in the entire motor. There is no problem in the motor that can cause swelling in the rotor. My concern is that you will send in the motor with the RMA and then find out it won't be covered. At that point, you will have to pay for the new rotor anyway, and then return shipping.

If anything, just send them the rotor. That way if they won't do a warranty replacement of the rotor you can tell them to toss it and just order a new one without the extra charges.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he says to send it in you are better off just buying a new impeller. :p

In a more serious moment I really would order a new impeller. There is absolutely no reason to send in the entire motor. There is no problem in the motor that can cause swelling in the rotor. My concern is that you will send in the motor with the RMA and then find out it won't be covered. At that point, you will have to pay for the new rotor anyway, and then return shipping.

If anything, just send them the rotor. That way if they won't do a warranty replacement of the rotor you can tell them to toss it and just order a new one without the extra charges.

That was my exact thought as well. Still having to buy the impeller and have to pay for 2x shipping.

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me what would cause it swell up like that?

I'm guessing heat generated by constantly being in motion and cooler water around it might be issues to cause it to fail this way.

I've had multiple different pumps do this, it's almost par for the course anymore lol. This is why I constantly clean and inspect my pumps anymore.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like this plan. Do this

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the hole in the motor where the impeller goes still a perfect circle? A lot of times when the impeller does that it will scar and oblong that hole and the motor is shot.
That’s probably why they want to see the whole thing.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the hole in the motor where the impeller goes still a perfect circle? A lot of times when the impeller does that it will scar and oblong that hole and the motor is shot.
Good point.

If the motor block is fine, then I'd just buy the impeller from BRS with free shipping and get the BRS points too.

JMO :)

OP
OP
hybridazn

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this plan. Do this

They want me to send the whole pump in, not just the rotor

That’s probably why they want to see the whole thing.

Really hard to tell this by the naked eye you you made a great point. If that is the case with the motor doing this I really hope they cover it under warranty haha

Good point.

If the motor block is fine, then I'd just buy the impeller from BRS with free shipping and get the BRS points too.

JMO :)

That is def what I would do.

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Send them both in and let them determine if they can be repaired or replaced ...hopefully the warranty will be honored since the pump failed on you with very limited use. I just had the same thing happen to me with a brand new pump made in Germany. It sat in the box collecting dust for almost two years ...and pump does not work at all. It is still under warranty though.

20180214_101611.jpg

What would you all do?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Meh. I'd send it in and pay the shipping. How much can shipping cost anyway? Don't you work for the Post Office? :p

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And you live in PA! Just drive to EcoTech! Geez! :p ;Hilarious;Hilarious

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back