Hydra 26hd or hydra 52 hd users

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone with these lights or had these lights in the past care to share your lighting schedules.
I’m just trying to get opinions before my lights come next week
Also how far off the water line did you have yours mounted? I don’t have a par meter so I will be estimating/guessing what par will be
Look forward to hearing everyone’s ideas and there schedules and inputs. These lights look like they’ll be a lot of fun

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are some popular presets that you're able to import via the AI app (from your computer)..

David Saxby (probably the most widely used AI preset)..
https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/light-presets-hd-ai-led-aquarium-lighting

BRS mimic of the Coral AB+ spectrum (settings right at the 11 min mark)..
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/spotlight-on-the-ai-prime-hd-led-light-brstv/

AI's signature series presets from featured tanks..
http://www.aquaillumination.com/signature/

And here's my settings.. (although I have the older non-HD Prime, so one of the colors is different)..
https://imgur.com/a/5dCR7oW

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you mentioned this needs to be done through the computer. I thought with the new ones it was done through a app using a smartphone?
I’ll get a chance to check all the presets tomorrow. Are they all on a dusk to dawn kind of setting?
Last but not least thank you for taking the time out to publish this information for me. You have any readings where it might possibly say whet the best height is to set these? I know higher more spread but you lose par.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you can manage the device via WIFI through either a smartphone app or computer, but I believe you can only load a shared config file via their web app. Once your device is setup on your MyAI mobile app, your account is automatically setup to work on the following site as well..

https://my.aquaillumination.com/login.html

Granted, you can access this URL from a tablet or smartphone browser and load a config file if you'd like, as long as you have a way of accessing local file storage on the device.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
73019905-0AC0-45FC-A275-36E27FA064B7.jpeg
1hr ramp up and down. 12hr at levels in pic.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 hydra 52 hds above a 150gal.
They hang about 18" above the water, and my tank is 28" deep.
I used David Saxby's model and all is well.
Sps are happy located middle to high in tank. Lps are happy middle to bottom. Softies are happy on the bottom and sides.
Best wishes.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
73019905-0AC0-45FC-A275-36E27FA064B7.jpeg
1hr ramp up and down. 12hr at levels in pic.

It’s interesting to see the par on the sand bed as high as 340 but at the top of the tank it only ranges between 400-600.
Doing basic critical angel math and sin cosine math should all the numbers should be much higher than the sand bed. Just curious as to what meter you used, (definitely not saying it’s not accurate) just never seen that before where the par is almost same on top as the bottom. In the pic there is a measurement at or near the top of the Overflow at 350 par and one almost directly below it to the right at 340. Was just interested in how you achieved that, because consistent par through out the tank would be awesome.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was my local reef clubs apogee mounted to PVC. Not sure what model it is. Keep in mind this was 5 Hydra 26 over a 120, and the perspective might lead you to think the tall areas are a bit higher than that are. The staggering of the lights also plays a big role and the overlap of light vs lack of overlap - that is you go up halfway and you don't have as much additive overlap vs dead center in the middle. Of course the halfway up numbers will be higher, but the combination of that many lights in spots that are open have some surprising even numbers.

The Monti caps at the top near overflow are not directly under a light for example

Last edited:

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Correct your referring to the critical angel or finding the critical angel of refraction based on how the light bends once it’s refracted in the water. One would find the sin and cosine of the angle as the tank was dry, then use the critical angel formula to assess that.

But even with the math when we did the same experiment, with different lights, the light intensity was larger and there where five times more critical angel formulas we had to solve. When we did this as an experiment we used a li-cor 1500 and other really expensive equipment. I’m just surprised there is not much of a variation from the top to the bottom.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10BD8952-2692-488A-99F5-A976B6B03D43.png
BA2D265F-A742-4E6C-A33B-7C82D9D07535.png
I just wanted to revisit this thread for a second. Too see if there was more feedback and see if I could get you guys help figuring out a possible remedy.
Now I downloaded and installed the David Saxby preset. Now if I’m reading things right the lights start to come on right about 10am and run until almost 12am. Is this not too long of a lighting period? I’m asking cause I’m now growing hair algae like crazy. Granted I do have phosphates but couldn’t give you a accurate reading cause of the hair algae giving off false readings. Checked nitrate with salifert testing and read shy of 25. I don’t have a par meter but I do have them 11.5 inches off the water surface at top.
When I first set up I went to effects set up acclimation mode. No way is this acclimation mode on. What am I doing wrong? Suggestions and help please

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got two of these hydra26hd lights over my 34g tank. When I had just a single, I had to crank of all blue channels to max, whites to 25%, and 9in over water to get decent par. My light was pushing 85w like this so I added the second.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with the David Saxby preset. Does anyone else think the lights are staying on for too long? Lights come on slightly before 10am. They don’t shut off until right before 11pm.
With this being the most popular used I’m sure there has to be some feedback

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to go with the David Saxby preset. Does anyone else think the lights are staying on for too long? Lights come on slightly before 10am. They don’t shut off until right before 11pm.
With this being the most popular used I’m sure there has to be some feedback

I adjusted the schedule to come on at 8 and off at 1o, slower ramp up.

OP
OP
B

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Seems like a lot of grueling, aganizing, time consuming work. But what needs to be done needs to be done. Lol

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Seems like a lot of grueling, aganizing, time consuming work. But what needs to be done needs to be done. Lol
Let me see if I still have the written down sheet so you at least wouldnt have to do that part.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back