Hydra 32HD or AP9X or Reefbrite Add-Ons?

Scotty8284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm coming up on 1 year with my mixed reef. I have an IM 100INT (48 x 24) DT, and started out with 2 Hydra 32HD's. However, I'm sensing my light coverage is inadequate. I keep my parameters spot on, and my zoa garden is doing well, but my stonies seem to be lagging/struggling.

I'm contemplating some changes, and am considering 3 options:

1) Add a third Hydra 32HD, and turning the lights so they are perpendicular to the front panel. This would give a more uniform illumination in the tank.

2) Keep the 2 Hydra's, but add the Reefbrite LED bar add-on kits. This adds some blue, but I'm not sure if that's enough.

3) Swap the Hydra's for a Kessil AP9X. This one fixture should be adequate for my rectangular tank, especially since the interior of the DT is about 21" wide and the only 20" deep. Everything I see says this light would be ideal for a mixed reef, with some SPS at the top of the tank.

Any insights, opinions, alternatives would be welcome. I've learned a lot this first year, and know you have to start somewhere. But I'm not reluctant to make adjustments along the way. Thanks!

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 AP9X would be good for your coverage on a mixed reef - but in the interest of full transparency, a single AP9X pulls about 185 watts at full power, where 2 of the Hydra 32s also pulls about 180 watts (90w each).

Granted, there's differences in spectrum and lighting distribution / coverage between the two fixtures, but it wouldn't be a quantum leap in terms of how much power is being put into the tank.

Granted we're a bit biased, but it may be worth looking at the option of adding an AP9X for the coverage, and then using the two AI Hydra on either side for a bit of extra power into the system. You could also run 2 AP9X across the system and never have to worry about lighting again ;)

Let us know if there's any questions you have on the AP9X units (or other Kessil lamps) that we can help out with!

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read option three and wondered what that would really accomplish and then was pleasantly surprised to see Kessil chime in with basically the same thought.

For SPS, coverage matters, not just watts. Change option three to what Kessil suggested above and any of your options would improve coverage.

T5 are awesome at growing acros , possible option 4?

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned point source puck style lights are bad when it comes to shadowing. I've got four over my 4 x 2 and need to make a change for better spread.

I'd add another Hydra first. Second choice would be the Reefbrite, but they are over priced and don't ramp without an even more expensive add on.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back