Hydra HD 26 stopped working

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Just got the red blinking light which the manual says “contact tech support”. Just submitted a ticket but..

WHAT THE HECK DO I DO? no light! Worse yet I’m on vacation and a friend is watching the tank. Why now??

Anyway I have 4 SPS, and about 6 LPS. 4 fish and a BTA. What should I do?

Any help is appreciated!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try holding the reset button in the back and see if it will respond....hold at least 30 seconds....

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I done a quick search, from a few comments I have seen it sounds like a mother board issue. I haven't seen anything else that can help, did your friend try to reset?

OP
OP
lickyricky

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I done a quick search, from a few comments I have seen it sounds like a mother board issue. I haven't seen anything else that can help, did your friend try to reset?

He will have to try it when he gets home. He had to go to work.

If I have to wait for a replacement what will happen to my tank with no lights? Who knows how long it will take to get a new one from Red Sea.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have them unplug the lights for 10 minutes and do a hard reset and see if that works.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to one of my HD26s. I contacted AI and they shipped one out. I got it within 5-6 days and then returned the dead one. All under warranty. They did take a CC # to make sure it wasn't damage from me. If it was then I would have had to pay for the light. I found an ATI T5 at a LFS who loaned it to me for the 5 days.

OP
OP
lickyricky

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to one of my HD26s. I contacted AI and they shipped one out. I got it within 5-6 days and then returned the dead one. All under warranty. They did take a CC # to make sure it wasn't damage from me. If it was then I would have had to pay for the light. I found an ATI T5 at a LFS who loaned it to me for the 5 days.

I don’t have anywhere to loan a light from. Someone please help me on what will happen to my tank with no light for 5-6 days ??

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’m going to be honest, so please don’t think I’m being harsh. 5-6 days with out light isn’t good. You know the answer as well as all of us, it’s a good chance they can and or will die. Im not certain if you can order a new light and have it over nighted to your home. If so then have fish sitter set the light up. I’m not saying by another hydra, but you could be a fluval marine 2.0 light that would work long enough for your coral not to die. I ran two of those on my 125 and they were more than good enough to grow anything.

Honestly if it was me, and I am only speaking of me, I would be heading home. I have too much time and money into my tank. Plus as their caregiver to my fish and corals, well they are like my children. If it was 24 hours things would be different, but 6-7 days is more than likely depending when they send it out, if there is a weekend etc.

I know my answer it not what you want to hear, but it’s honest. Having no light, heat, and flow is huge huge to any coral. I wish you luck, if you were in Boise I’d loan one of my fluvals to you, maybe check and see if anyone you know has a saltwater tank, and or spare light. I would also call your lfs to maybe borrow one of their used lights, also pertco, and pet smart may have back up lights. You could also try your local aquarium as well. When I lost a light do to a bad power supply they loaned me one of theirs. Just some possible ideas.

OP
OP
lickyricky

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Ca or I’d loan you a light.. but Sarah has the right idea, you should invest in a backup light..

Can they last 3 days?
Waiting to hear from support tomorrow or else I’ll order a new light and have it shipped overnight

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Honestly I would say 24 hours is pushing it, they need light to feed. You could try but it’s a very high risk, and personally I wouldn’t try it. That’s one of the reasons I save money literally every pay check just for such an emergency. This hobby is expensive and specially if it’s lights, or return pumps, skimmers, hopefully never a tank.

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naaa people go 3 days blackout to try and kill algae. They can make it that or people wouldn't even try a blackout

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can last 3 days easily, many people do blackouts to kill algae. That said, I'm in Broward and have a spare light. PM me if you want to borrow. I'm sure there might be others maybe closer if you posted on the FMAS forums on RC.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I haven’t had issues with algae before, but was always told sps corals would have a hard time with that. See look she can be taught lol.

OP
OP
lickyricky

lickyricky

Red Sea Max E-170
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - new light coming tomorrow putting total lights out time at 3 days thank goodness! Opened all the windows to get as much natural light as possible.

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good, hopefully everything will be ok

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back