Hydrogen Peroxide?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hair Algae on a Staghorn Coral, want to dip it in Hydrogen Peroxide, before I loose it.I been picking it, putting tiny Blue Leg Hermits and Astraea Snails on it. Even though they are working on it, it’s not enough. I can only get 3%. Dip solution calls for 10ml of 9% Peroxide per One liter of saltwater. Can I triple it? Also is it Safe to Dip Staghorn in Hydrogen Peroxide?

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmmmm..................i can get as high as 35% food grade from the health food store. Any in your area?

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried Grocery Drug Store, Independent Drug Store, and Medical Supply. Will try Health Food Store. Still need to know, if it is safe for Staghorn.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea if it’s safe for that particular coral, but 9% in 1 litre of water sounds to me it wouldn’t be strong enough.
I’ve used 3% undiluted on corals for 2 mins and they have come out fine.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A quick google search shows:

Hydrogen Peroxide​

Hydrogen peroxide is the best option vs algae (especially for zoanthids). However, you don’t want to extend a dip session for more than 5 minutes. Swish the coral first, or dilute the solution 5 to 1 (20% of product + 80% of clean water). Another way to use peroxide is to grab a paintbrush and paint the frag. The idea is to give corals some time to retract, protect themselves. Make sure all your zoanthids are closed up before dipping. Remember, dipping in hydrogen peroxide is a matter of minutes. Those 3 to 5 minutes will actually kill all of the algae.

Some other corals are more sensitive than zoanthids (some LPS, SPS). I don’t recommend dipping SPS and LPS to hydrogen peroxide even for a couple of minutes. What you can do instead is to take a toothbrush and dip it into the solution. Then scrub the frag thoroughly.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought you spray the algae parts of the coral outside of tank water then let it sit in a bath for a second while you can brush the algae off that’s weakened. Never had to try this method because I always cut off any dead spots where algae could grow or is growing, healthier to not keep the exposed skeleton because algae will keep coming back if the route cause of it is taken care of.

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick google search shows:

Hydrogen Peroxide​

Hydrogen peroxide is the best option vs algae (especially for zoanthids). However, you don’t want to extend a dip session for more than 5 minutes. Swish the coral first, or dilute the solution 5 to 1 (20% of product + 80% of clean water). Another way to use peroxide is to grab a paintbrush and paint the frag. The idea is to give corals some time to retract, protect themselves. Make sure all your zoanthids are closed up before dipping. Remember, dipping in hydrogen peroxide is a matter of minutes. Those 3 to 5 minutes will actually kill all of the algae.

Some other corals are more sensitive than zoanthids (some LPS, SPS). I don’t recommend dipping SPS and LPS to hydrogen peroxide even for a couple of minutes. What you can do instead is to take a toothbrush and dip it into the solution. Then scrub the frag thoroughly.
My LFS dips all their SPS and LPS in hydrogen peroxide and they do fine. Heck, even BRS has been running tests and have found that only super sick corals do poorly against it.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not dip any SPS directly into a peroxide solution. I have used it be removing rocks and spraying around any attached coral though without any issues.

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hair Algae on a Staghorn Coral, want to dip it in Hydrogen Peroxide, before I loose it.I been picking it, putting tiny Blue Leg Hermits and Astraea Snails on it. Even though they are working on it, it’s not enough. I can only get 3%. Dip solution calls for 10ml of 9% Peroxide per One liter of saltwater. Can I triple it? Also is it Safe to Dip Staghorn in Hydrogen Peroxide?
Justin Credabel's hydrogen peroxide dipping guidelines

Tolerance
Dip 5 minutes Milliliters of Hydrogen Peroxide 3% to 1 Liter of Seawater. Type of Cnidarian

Low 20-40ml
Acropora (tolerance varies widely among species), Montipora, Astreopora, Duncanopsammia, Turbinaria, Galaxia, Cyhpastrea, (*Alveopora)(**Hydnophora) Echinophyllia, Mycedium, Oxypora, Tubastrea,

Low/Med 50-70ml
Pocillopora, Seriatopora, Stylophora, Caulastrea, Clavularia, Pachyclavularia, Sympodium, Cespitularia, Yellow Leathers, Pachyceris, Echinpora, Leptoseris, Pectinia, Psammacora

Medium 80-120ml
Porites, Xenia, Brown Leathers, Pavona, Fungiids, Heliofungia,

Med/High 130-200ml
Goniopora, Favia, Favites, Goniastrea, Platygyra, Leptastrea, Blastomussa, Cynarina, Physogyra, Plerogyra, Symphyllia, Sinularia, Corallimorpharian (Mushroom Anemone)

High 210-350ml
Zoanthids, Palythoa, Scolymia, Acansthstrea, Micromussa, Lobophyllia, Euphyllia, Catalaphyllia, Trachyphyllia,

Coral can be dipped longer in a lower concentrate solution. ? concentrate for up to 20 minutes for deep, persistent algae or bacterial infections, or necrotic areas.

OP
OP
S

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I did this back in Mid November 22.
Staghorn Coral, Dipped in 75ml 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to 2.5 Liters of Saltwater for Six Minutes. Was able to save the Coral. Something odd was after the Dip and Return to the Aquarium, Blue Leg Hermit Crabs went to town on the Coral, I guess they we’re eating the burned algae.

SneaksMcdoogle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I did this back in Mid November 22.
Staghorn Coral, Dipped in 75ml 3% Hydrogen Peroxide to 2.5 Liters of Saltwater for Six Minutes. Was able to save the Coral. Something odd was after the Dip and Return to the Aquarium, Blue Leg Hermit Crabs went to town on the Coral, I guess they we’re eating the burned algae.
I actually did a dip today, and when I put the seven corals in all the hermits in the aquarium rush to them

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back