Hydroids and aminos? (Also do they use silicate)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if branching hydroids are capable of using free form amino acids, fatty acids, and carbs such as reef energy? If not, what EXACTLY do they eat? Everyone I have seen says they eat coral food and that is not helpful. They normally stay on one rock in my tank but recently have spread greatly. I haven't done anything different recently except heavily feeding reef energy to help a sick pearly bubble coral and some frags that got stressed. I normally feed this and phyto so I am not sure what is making them thrive compared to before. I do soak food more in what are basically fish oil additives (continuum omega 3 and hufa).

Also, do they use silica? My DI resin is nearing its end and I have noticed some sponges starting to grow a lot more or coming back so I am curious if my meter needs calibration (no clue how often that is needed)

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to add that I have previously used reef energy heavily when my tank kept bottoming out phosphates and they were not a problem then.

My main concern is that I think they are killing of my palys on a rock. That rock is also being completely smothered by sponges that seem to have taken off lately for some reason.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share a picture of the hydroids

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They ended up not being much a problem at some point and the paly's came back. I am not home with the tank now and won't be for a period of time but I can share a pic in a month

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They ended up not being much a problem at some point and the paly's came back. I am not home with the tank now and won't be for a period of time but I can share a pic in a month

This one’s?

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This one’s?
More translucent/white at the bases if I remember correctly.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had success in keeping them at bay with a blue line Hermit (Calcinus elegans). Someone else here recommended them and I think it worked. Changed from me pulling finger sized bushes out all around the tank to maybe seeing a few polyps here and there.

Not sure if it's eating them, but it's ripping them out

It's definitely a hermit doing hermit things though, so glue down your corals properly

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back