Hydrometer tropic marine high precision

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all I'm using a high provision hydrometer.
I used to use a refractor but for convenience sake I got a tropic marine high precision hydrometer.

Anyone object? Hahaha or do I have any fellow reefers that use a hydrometer? And I'm not talking about the cheap ones...

I decided to use this when mixing salt. Just heat the water up to 77 and measure. As long as I keep consistently doing this.. it will work out. Stability is key!

Again.. any objections to my rule?

Thanks guys!

jay-hurt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this works great. The 500ml graduated cylinder is key. I got a second one as backup and tested their accuracy, both read the same. Rinsing them after each use is important, other than that very easy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to heat the water, if you don't want to use it warm. You can just use a correction table.

I'd personally also suggest checking it for accuracy with a suitable standard to ensure it was made and initially calibrated correctly.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine reads 0.0002 high when testing with Randy's DIY calibration solution. My testing supplies are in a cooler basement so I always let mine sit in the glass graduated cylinder so temperatures stabilize the take the hydrometer reading and temperature reading. I use the online calculator to adjust for temp.

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to heat the water, if you don't want to use it warm. You can just use a correction table.

I'd personally also suggest checking it for accuracy with a suitable standard to ensure it was made and initially calibrated correctly.
thanks Randy!! I didnt realize we have a correction table to go off.... it would save me a ton of time to just mix and measure the salinity instead of dumping a heater to figure out an accurate measurement...

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine reads 0.0002 high when testing with Randy's DIY calibration solution. My testing supplies are in a cooler basement so I always let mine sit in the glass graduated cylinder so temperatures stabilize the take the hydrometer reading and temperature reading. I use the online calculator to adjust for temp.
thanks kstatefan!
i will definitely use that calculator!

OP
OP
TopClamSkoo

TopClamSkoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so big and unweldy ....I've used mine maybe 3 times. Would it be just as accurate if they could shrink it down?
i agree! it is big and unwieldy. However, I love the fact I don't need to calibrate with a solution each time I use it. Also, I hate dealing with those stupid bubbles in the sample palette when your using a refractometer. Takes longer to measure salinity....

But to each their own!

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use mine to calibrate my refractometer. I havent had much luck with the store bought calibration fluids, they seem to be off by a few points. Pinpoints the only one I have that reads close.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Hydrometers, no use changing. Picture of my old one marked 22 to 25 and newer marked 25 to 27
Hydrometer Markings.jpg

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Hydrometers, no use changing. Picture of my old one marked 22 to 25 and newer marked 25 to 27

Are they both measuring the same thing? Tropic Marin also has a model that measures density.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could easily be wrong. Never really used it, someone gave it to me. Maybe someone can check it over. When I have used it, it seemed correct but I’m no expert.

I only looked at one point but it seems correct. When I first starting using the calculator I compared it to the 0.00019 per 1ºF correction that Randy gave in one of his articles and is was close.

1679483075599.png

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back