Hydros Control 2 , Control 4 and accessories question and answer thread.

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Do you need the controller in order to set up my account and play around with the app?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The app won’t do much without a controller
Is there a specific thing that you are interested in seeing in the app?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious about it. More of a hands on than video.
I can understand but without a controller all you can do is setup email and texting if I remember correctly. I downloaded the app months ago and just got the controller Tuesday. I really like it. It is somewhat close to the one I have been using. If there was something specific like setup of an input or output I can post the screenshots here.

Red Sea reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does ph get recorded on the graph? Am I doing something wrong?
9D3BA4E1-CD61-4F4B-ACE3-CD46074AADB8.png

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coralvue has a trouble shooting and set up site for Hydros products including WE and the Control here:

Last edited:

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harry and I did some work on what resistors are needed for this. It’s not as straight forward as it seems since they have some input protection on the input pin that throws off the resistor calculations. The following has been tested and works with hydros. And it also uses the 5V output already available on the 0-10v input connector.
6B631137-3E07-47F8-B622-AAA5F87E0AEB.png

So if I wanted to make a Hydros equivalent of an Apex breakout box is this the schematic to follow?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I wanted to make a Hydros equivalent of an Apex breakout box is this the schematic to follow?

To me, no, that is not the equivalent of a breakout box. The Hydros equivalent of a breakout box would be splitting the 0-10v port into 5v, G, input 1-4.

Then any of those inputs can be used with analog sensors, float switches, variable voltage switch boxes (like the previous diagram), etc.

You can have a switch box with up to 5 buttons (using the provided 5v) on a single 0-10v input. Or 10 switches if you are using an external supply.

Example:
5F21D785-595D-43B2-A92B-542769269924.jpeg

Last edited:

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, no, that is not the equivalent of a breakout box. The Hydros equivalent of a breakout box would be splitting the 0-10v port into 5v, G, input 1-4.

Then any of those inputs can be used with analog sensors, float switches, variable voltage switch boxes (like the previous diagram), etc.

You can have a switch box with up to 5 buttons (using the provided 5v) on a single 0-10v input. Or 10 switches if you are using an external supply.

Example:
5F21D785-595D-43B2-A92B-542769269924.jpeg
Ah and if I was using an Apex switch box now I would need to follow that diagram to get to an equivalent ?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah and if I was using an Apex switch box now I would need to follow that diagram to get to an equivalent ?

If you wanted to use a single input channel, It would need to be completely rewired. The hydros switch box internals are quite different from my Apex ones, as each button creates a unique voltage via a custom PCB. It only has 3 wires coming out: Ground, 5V, Input Channel. In comparison, the Apex switch box has 7 wires coming out: one for each button and then ground.

(1x analog input versus 6 digital inputs)

In theory you could get 4 switches to work from the apex switch box by using all 4 0-10v input channels of the hydros, but that’s seems somewhat like a waste.

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a better way would be to tell us what you are monitoring on the Apex breakout box. There may be other alternatives as you do have the 4 sense ports also. They also plan on releasing a controller with just 4 sense ports you can add to a collective if you need more of those ports.

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a better way would be to tell us what you are monitoring on the Apex breakout box. There may be other alternatives as you do have the 4 sense ports also. They also plan on releasing a controller with just 4 sense ports you can add to a collective if you need more of those ports.
I mostly use the I/O port on the Apex for toggle or momentary push buttons. I DIY'd a few of them and was just trying to figure out if the Hydros are using a different connector or if it would require a complete rebuild. It sounds like the latter.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The switch box would be a good replacement for the momentary push button switches provided only on is pressed at a time. The toggle switch or something like a float switch can be connected to a sense port. They make a cable with a 3.5 mm plug on it you can use. See Jeff’s post below.

So the EASIEST way to use a sense port for a switch input is to use this adapter:

1605119289692.png

Below is the pinout of that adapter above, you can just get a stereo 3.5mm cable and adapt that to any switch you'd like. Just use the TIP and SLEEVE for switch connections and leave the RING unconnected. The above adapter is used for the rope sensor as well. So in theory you could add a switch to the end of your rope detector in the same manner I believe.

1605119533231.png

Use any of these to make an easy switch interface to 3.5mm plugs:

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lets say I have a hydros control 4 - will it control my ecotech marine power heads, either neros or vortechs? I know the wave engine has a specific model that works with the ETM products what's the support like on the control 4?

OP
OP
shred5

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So lets say I have a hydros control 4 - will it control my ecotech marine power heads, either neros or vortechs? I know the wave engine has a specific model that works with the ETM products what's the support like on the control 4?

It does not support them right now. I am not sure it ever will because the WE is the part that supports pumps.

Remember the WE is going to be integrated into the Control so it will be part of the collective. So it is kind of like a module.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Wave Engine is a Hydros controller specifically for flow pumps. I would think there is some communication that can happen between the wave engine and the Control 4. Hopefully one of the beta testers that have both will comment. I do know you can power the Control 4 via the Wave Engine.

ppatches24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Wave Engine is a Hydros controller specifically for flow pumps. I would think there is some communication that can happen between the wave engine and the Control 4. Hopefully one of the beta testers that have both will comment. I do know you can power the Control 4 via the Wave Engine.
From the research and info ive found looks like you would buy the Wave Engine ETM module and then command bus the control 4 and WE together. Which looking at it now - I guess thats the entire point. I was just being hopeful that the control 4 included it. there goes my cheaper than apex option. lol

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Control 4 and Control 2 need to be physical connected with the cable to be add in the same collective? I am thinking about adding a Control 2 to the water mix station to monitor the container as well as the ATO reservoir. I would hope I don't need to run 10+ ft cable from it back to the control 4 under my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back